Gransnet forums

Relationships

Cambridges and Sussexes breaking up their Charity work

(82 Posts)
Tillybelle Thu 20-Jun-19 18:32:54

As we hear that the two Princes are splitting their Charities and the Sussex' Charity will become independent, what do you think has influenced the decision to make this major difference in their approach to a very important area of their lives? How do you feel about their decision to work independently?

EllanVannin Thu 20-Jun-19 18:35:35

They're all still involved with the mental health side though.

EllanVannin Thu 20-Jun-19 18:37:41

There's nothing untoward as the media would have you believe.

Anniebach Thu 20-Jun-19 18:43:52

Ten years ago they formed The Royal Foundation

Nine years later Megan joined them

Ten years later they split and Megan and Harry form their own charity

EllanVannin Thu 20-Jun-19 18:47:19

Branching out isn't the end of the world. They don't want to be seen to be joined at the hip ?

GrannyGravy13 Thu 20-Jun-19 18:47:34

I guess because the Queen is 93 and will not be around for ever.

William shall be Prince of Wales when Charles is King that the Palace is just “future proofing”.

Calendargirl Thu 20-Jun-19 18:48:12

Meghan’s input must have made a difference I think.

Tillybelle Thu 20-Jun-19 19:09:10

Calendargirl. That is what Radio 4 BBC seemed to say. The report on the News quite openly mentioned Meghan not getting on with Kate. The News went something like "Meghan does not get along with Kate.
This has upset the Princes.
The Princes' Charities work together.
Meghan Harry has decided to make his Charity Independent.
The Princes' Charities are splitting for entirely practical administrative reasons."

So we take our pick!!

What actually upsets me is that since Harry fell in love with Meghan and more recently she became part of the family, there has been a split between the two young men. This is extremely sad, I feel. I think they were so good together, so supportive of each other, and they need each other. It upsets me that someone can put a wedge between them. I am not a Royalist and don't follow the Royal Family but this just touches my heart.

I imagine many of us who had children about the same age as the Princes were when Diana died see them in a different way and perhaps feel more deeply about them than we might have done otherwise.

Anniebach Thu 20-Jun-19 19:30:20

Future proofing ?

Both couples had apartments in KP , both had country residences .

Harry and Megan want an official royal residence but not in town so move to Windsor.

Harry and Megan need a town residence so now have an apartment in Buck House.

Moocow Thu 20-Jun-19 19:38:19

I always thought Harry looked like the spare part when the three of them were together and now he has to step away and let William step up as prince in waiting. Phillip and Charles both have their own (Duke of Edinburgh challenge, etc) and now these two will have their own. Also all they have to do is stifle a sneeze and immediately the cameras shout hate etc so it's better to keep apart as much as possible!

crazyH Thu 20-Jun-19 23:23:19

I don't know if it's just me, but Harry seems to have lost that sparkle. And I don't like his beard either. If you look at that photo of 4 of them sitting together for theRoyal Foundation, there's one photo in which Harry decidedly sad.

Anniebach Fri 21-Jun-19 08:36:23

I think Harry is a troubled man , before and since his marriage

MawBroonsback Fri 21-Jun-19 08:46:30

Doesn’t altogether surprise me that Prince Harry wants to do his own thing.
He is a grown up man with a wife and child and not just half of the “Wills and Harry” double act of his childhood. (Ant and Dec, Laurel and Hardie?)
I refuse to read more into it because a) we don’t know and b) it is none of our business.

M0nica Fri 21-Jun-19 08:57:06

They are both married men with families and facing different futures, One day William will be King, while Harry slips down the pecking line.

They have different lives, why on earth should they want to keep trying to have a shared office with two different agendas to serve. Much simpler for both to run their lives entirely separately.

Anniebach Fri 21-Jun-19 09:01:42

you mean ‘no chatting ‘ Maw ? No threads on people we don’t know personally?

MawBroonsback Fri 21-Jun-19 09:16:54

No I don’t Anniebach I was just expressing my own opinion and am in no way commenting on the views of others smile
(Perhaps redressing the balance though wink )

SirChenjin Fri 21-Jun-19 09:37:18

None of us know what goes on behind closed doors obviously, but it does seem (to me) that Meghan has very clear ideas about the role she wants to carve out for herself and she can't do that as one quarter of a charity. There does seem to be a cooling off between the 2 brothers, but whether that's because of problems between Kate and Meghan or whether they're naturally going their slightly separate ways as the grow older it's impossible to say.

I have a horrible feeling that H and M won't be together forever, but who knows.

merlotgran Fri 21-Jun-19 09:51:09

I think they have different attitudes towards charity work. William and Kate will follow the usual route of royal patronage whilst promoting their own causes to support mental health.

Meghan (and therefore, Harry) wants to be a player on the global stage like the Clooneys and other celebrities. There's no way she would ever settle for being part of a team.

Both William and Harry are strong willed young men. When the Queen dies I think Charles might have a problem with Harry and his ambitious wife if he wants to keep 'the firm' on an even keel.

Cp43 Fri 21-Jun-19 09:54:53

They should grow up. They undoubtedly employ people to do the proper work so as they’re figureheads I can’t see why they need to be pals. Strength in numbers so shouldn’t split the charity

CarlyD7 Fri 21-Jun-19 09:57:52

I've seen this time and time again when brothers get married - unless their wives are very similar (and Kate and Meghan really aren't) they often drift apart and go in separate directions. I suspect that William and Kate looked after Harry and included him in their lives, but now he's married and has a son, so they can step back and focus on their own family and future? I don't see anything strange in this at all.

Anniebach Fri 21-Jun-19 09:59:42

I agree Merlot .

DanniRae Fri 21-Jun-19 10:05:03

I can't stand all this talk about the royal couples not getting on........how Megan is causing a rift between the brothers..........how she doesn't get on with Kate.........how long before Harry and Megan split up. Leave them alone for goodness sake to get on with their lives because we don't know the truth. Until we hear for sure that their is reason to worry about our royal Princes and their wives stop speculating. angry

jaylucy Fri 21-Jun-19 10:06:00

Absolutely nothing at all ! I just think they have agreed that they can cover more ground if they work separately , and will obviously have different interests. Must be a nightmare getting themselves synchronised to appear anywhere now they are all parents!

cc Fri 21-Jun-19 10:08:41

Its been suggested that Kate and Meghan don't get on, but we have only the newspapers' word for that. Logically it makes sense to spread the royals out between more charities, in theory this gives a wider spread for raising money.
Harry is growing up and has new responsibilities - its not surprising that he is not always the happy go lucky young man that he used to be. He and his brother were perhaps specially close because of the loss of their mother, but he was always bound to move away a little once he had a wife.
We really know nothing about any of their relationships and this speculation must be tiresome for them, particularly if it is not true.
Its really none of our business.

Ellianne Fri 21-Jun-19 10:17:43

I'm guessing both the princes feel they have different interests and, dare I say, different standards. William recognises the importance of his future role whereas Harry is a reluctant, petulant player and no longer seems committed to the cause. I'm sure Meghan in particular
has had a lot of influence in this decision and, as someone has already said, she wants to do things her own way and wants the attention for herself not for the charity.