Gransnet forums

Relationships

Has anyone's estranged adult child come back to them?

(39 Posts)
Purpletinofpaint Tue 02-Jul-19 11:11:19

Posting here for traffic but also in Estrangement. Has anyone on here been estranged from their adult child for a significant period of time & then had them come back? If so, what happened? How did it go & what is the relationship like now?

Peonyrose Wed 03-Jul-19 22:10:17

How hard it must be for those of you estranged from your much loved children, for whatever reason. After trying to reconcile and repeatedly rebuffed, it takes a lot of courage to make a new life and it's good to hear those that do. You can't let it spoil the rest of your life. I suppose the longer the estrangement goes on, the harder it gets, it is so sad for things to come to that. Surely the person that decides to estrange themselves cannot be at peace with themselves.

Mebster Thu 04-Jul-19 00:00:42

My niece has apparently hinted that she might be open to reconciliation once her stepdad dies or is out of the picture. I'm skeptical as she hasn't made contact in eight years.
I am very shocked by the number of young adults cutting off parents, especially as they all seem to expect to share in the estate of their estranged parents, from responses I've seen on a U.S. site.

gmelon Thu 04-Jul-19 00:15:37

OP- Your Mother doesn't care about you. Some women should not have children.

notanan2 Thu 04-Jul-19 09:28:38

Surely the person that decides to estrange themselves cannot be at peace with themselves.

The OP absolutely deserves to be at peace with herself. NONE of this is her fault. She did not deserve one jot of it and OP I hope you get the help you need to give yourself the love and nurturing that your mothet never gave you flowers

peonyrose you seriously lack empathy!

Franbern Thu 04-Jul-19 09:29:43

Whereas I can talk about enstrangements with AC - my much older brother was absent from my life for eleven years. He had always carried large chips on his shoulders mainly to do with out Dad, and shortly after our Mother died, he stole (not for the first time) some money from our Dad and disappeared.
Eleven years later, long after our Dad had died, he rang me out of the blue. It appeared that his partner (he had deserted his wife and three children much earlier), had died after a long illness, which he had nursed her through, and he was now turned 70 years old, and feeling lonely.
He came back into my life, treating me as if he had always been around, indeed, rarely got through a day without a 'phone call from him. He treated my own AC as if they were his own, and their children as if they were his loved g.children. (Totally ignoring the fact that he had several g.children he had never seen).
I tried, very hard to get a reconciliation between him and his eldest daughter and son, but they told me that so much had happened in the past, and so many 'reconciliations' that had failed, that they were not willing to put themselves through it again.
For the next five years, he became like an extra AC -(Which I really did not need). When he became ill in hospital, it was my eldest daughter who accompanied him down to Theatre for his op. from which he never recovered.
My eldest son and eldest daughter were the ones who helped me make all the appropriate arrangements.
I informed his two eldest children of his death (his youngest, he had never seen and had been adopted by his ex-wife's second husband). They told me they would not attend his cremation, but I was so delighted that they both did come - although they told me it was for my sake, not his!!!
Whereas, I am glad that I had those last few years to have some good memories of him, I cannot forgive, either his treatment of his own family, nor his treatment of my Dad.

Many, many years go, I had a falling out with my parents, just after the birth of my third child - expecting them to drop everything to help me out. I was wrong - and the estrangement lasted just three months - over that Christmas. My lovely Mum made the first move, and I was so very, very happy she did. From then on we had a wonderful relationship again, but even now - nearly fifty years later - I have dreadful guilt feelings about that missing Christmas with them.

Starlady Thu 04-Jul-19 14:37:34

Best of luck, Doceatte!

Stella, I'm sorry your sisters were never able to reunite. I think your post shows that reconciliation takes both sides wanting to heal the rift. Otherwise, it's like the sound of one hand clapping.

Smileless, I so understand your not wanting to reconcile w/ ES and family. It has taken you and Mr. S a lot to get to the happier state of mind where you are today. I can see where you wouldn't want to risk that.

Mebster, I don't blame you for being skeptical. No way to know what niece will actually do till stepdad is out of the picture.

Franbern, what a heart-wrenching story in so many ways. Your brother was very lucky that you allowed him back into your life after all those years and all that estrangement. I'm glad your AC and GC got to have the experience of him as a loving uncle and great-uncle. But I'm sorry to hear he was never able to reconcile w/ his own AC, and that he hurt your dad and others so badly.

Smileless2012 Thu 04-Jul-19 14:50:16

Peonyrose doesn't lack empathy IMO notanan. Her post was referring to parents who love their children and find themselves estranged.

As I've already said, this particular thread gives no information whatsoever to the OP's back story and not everyone posting here will necessarily have read the other thread she started. Also, not all responses are for the sole benefit of the OP. There is a general estrangement discussion taking place here as is the case on all threads dealing with estrangement.

Starlady Thu 04-Jul-19 15:34:12

Had more to say earlier but got interrupted...

OP, as you can see, I'm sure, it takes both parties to really make a it work. I don't think your mum wants the kind of relationship that you do. If you're willing to keep things light and breezy, then, perhaps, you can have a (superficial) relationship w/ her, the way you would w/ a casual friend. But if you want something deeper - and I get the impression you do - then, no, I don't believe you'll get that. She will disappoint your once again. She can't give what isn't in her to give, and IMO, you need to face that and protect yourself from it.

About this thread, everyone - I appreciate the fact that the OP is concerned about a specific circumstance. But I agree w/ Smileless, that it was presented as a general thread, and not everyone has read the OP's other threads. If an OP posts a general questions, IMO, we have to expect that people will respond in a general manner. Maybe that's even what the OP wants. No reason for us to restrict ourselves to her story only when she didn't. Just my opinion...

Smileless2012 Thu 04-Jul-19 20:15:03

An opinion well expressed Starlady and one that of course you're entitled to have.

Norah Fri 05-Jul-19 14:17:53

My SILS are estranged to
their family. For 2 it's been a long go, none have turned back. Is that an answer you seek Purpletinofpaint ?

Dolcelatte Sat 06-Jul-19 05:03:05

Thank you Starlady for your good wishes.

I don't think any of us can presume to know what goes on in another's person's relationship. There is their view, the other person 's view, and reality. However, I do know that people coming onto these threads are in need of sympathy, love and support, which I think the vast majority of us do try to give.

CdnNanny Mon 08-Jul-19 19:50:36

Hello Gransnet Members,

So pleased to meet you, but not so pleased about this post. I will try to be brief so here it is: My eldest son has recently returned to Canada after four years in Germany. He met and married his German wife, had two beautiful sons, found a job, got injured, received a huge disability settlement, father in law passed, got more money and is now here in Canada alone. His wife will be joining him on October, so right now he can settle in and prepare for when they arrive later on.

Reason I am mentioning the money aspect is because to get to where he is, hubby (step-dad) and I helped him out at great expense to us. He took him until he was 35 to leave the nest and I was so happy when he did. And, I felt great relief when he moved to Europe so that I did not have to deal with the manipulation anymore on how I need to help him monetarily so that he could manage to be successful and get ahead.

Now husband (step-dad) and I are planning retirement and our well has run dry. We need to focus on ourselves. Our son flew in last Thursday and I received a two line message in Messenger. Arrived safely – at Dad's (my estranged spouse). I have sent several nice messages since, and they have been read but no response. It has almost been a week! My only guess is that he is angry because we requested he pay for his food if he stayed with us (he has a HUGE and expensive appetite) or because we refused to co-sign a mortgage for when the family settles in Canada. Frankly, we are only guessing, but we know our son well enough.

I have decided to stop sending Messages in Messenger until he is ready to communicate with us. Am I wrong in doing this? My son is a 'What can you do for me type of person' and I think he is resentful because we are finally putting our foot down and saying 'no' for a change. My fear is estrangement from my two grandsons. I would love to get to know them better, but I am thinking that it may not be the case and that is my fear.

Why run to the biological father that has been so unsupportive and estranged and ignore your stepfather and mother both of whom have been nothing but supportive?

I am hurt and angry and secretively wish he would have stayed far away. Even my daughter fears that hubby and I will be guilted into dishing out again. Does anyone have thoughts on this?

Di I mentioned his owes us $16,000.00 and we have not seen a cent? It's lost to us. We know it's never coming back. He also took off with $500.00 of my Mom's money that she gave him to work on her home. Work was never done…

We have visited Germany at great expense as well and purchased furniture and toys for the babies. Ex-hubby did nothing!!!!

I am perplexed! (Shrug)

CdnNanny Mon 08-Jul-19 19:51:21

Oups should have started a new thread. Sorry learning!