Gransnet forums

Relationships

Loose lips

(35 Posts)
LadyOz Sun 14-Jul-19 16:15:34

My DH of nearly 50 yrs tells people things that I would rather they did not know.
I am quite a private person and just don't like others knowing my business, especially personal stuff.
He says he is proud of me and wants others to know it.

Do you think I'm the one with the problem as I don't even like telling people where I'm going on holiday for instance and I especially don't care for telling people how much things cost!
He will be out and about and when he comes home he'll say something like "oh I saw so and so and told them blah blah blah" and it just really infuriates me.

I am excellent at keeping a confidence and obviously don't tell him stuff that friends have asked me not to.
Even the kids won't tell him stuff.

Dawn22 Tue 16-Jul-19 14:40:19

My husband is a blabbermouth and l am the opposite. Really tricky dynamic.
Dawn.

MissAdventure Tue 16-Jul-19 14:32:38

Oh, and sometimes he would stop mid story and ring the bell himself.

MissAdventure Tue 16-Jul-19 14:31:14

He sounds very insecure, so maybe try and remember that when you feel like bashing him in! grin
My ex could be a bit like that, so much so that I bought him a bell which others could ring when they suspected a tall story, or when he was showing off.
We had many a fun time at his expense.

Rene72 Tue 16-Jul-19 14:25:00

My H tells anybody and everybody everything. I found out he’d told all his Labour Party friends I’d just been told I had a heart problem, I went mad, I don’t know these people at all and only found out because I was in the car with him when a woman rang him and started discussing me and my heart with him, obviously she didn’t know I was there and I could hear everything she said!
He also claims he’s done this or that when he hasn’t. Like when he told a group of his ‘friends’ how he’d done the garden making it so that I didn’t have to bend down to do it! Actually, he sat on his arse and watched our son and my stepson do it and he never put one single plant in! When I interrupt him to tell the real story I get a thump in the ribs.
He’s always lying about what he does in the house etc when actually it’s me or our son that does it, stepson only helps when he’s forced to.
He tells that many lies he wouldn’t know the truth if it smacked him in the face.
I am a very private person and don’t like people knowing my business. I don’t consider it’s his place to talk about me to anyone, especially as I hadn’t even told my family!

Cabbie21 Mon 15-Jul-19 22:49:17

My DH did not even tell anyone except his family that we were getting married. No friends, no colleagues. He is a very private person.

GreenGran78 Mon 15-Jul-19 16:49:21

My daughter's future MIL grabbed an opportunity to photograph her wedding dress, pre-wedding, and showed the pictures to her family!
DD nearly called off the wedding, as her partner couldn't see what the problem was. The marriage did break down eventually.

Solonge Mon 15-Jul-19 16:17:57

Hahaha....Alima, very good!

Dee1012 Mon 15-Jul-19 15:04:53

I actually ended a relationship over something very similar...my ex partner discussed everything with his family and what I found particularly upsetting was, due to the fact they'd maintained close contact with his ex-wife, she was also privy to our life! The final straw for me was a very personal medical procedure being openly discussed.
I'm quite a private person and I just couldn't deal with it.
He couldn't see the issue because it was "family".

dogsmother Mon 15-Jul-19 15:03:01

Mine does this bit, I get cross/bored....seems he wants to share the ins and outs of our lives with whoever’s around ? I so relate but don’t no what the solution is.

Rainwashed Mon 15-Jul-19 14:55:35

I also thought the thread was about something else. My husband is the opposite and does not like me telling people things however banal.

Saggi Mon 15-Jul-19 14:55:33

Don’t tell him anything about what’s going on in your life ....especially medical. If he doesn’t like it just tell him that you cant trust him with your personal information anymore....remind him you’ve asked that he keeps your privacy but ignores you, so from now on you will keep him in the dark.

EthelJ Mon 15-Jul-19 14:33:09

My DH is a bit that way, he thinks he can keep a secret but he cant seem to help himself. Over the years I have learnt not to tell him anything I don't want shared

LadyOz Mon 15-Jul-19 12:49:34

Thanks for all your comments Gransnetters. Glad I'm not alone. grin

grandtanteJE65 Mon 15-Jul-19 11:59:28

Well, it would infuriate me too, but as you have been married to the man for 50 years (congrats) surely by now,you have stopped telling him things you don't want the rest of the world to know?

Grammaretto Mon 15-Jul-19 11:58:21

My DH is the same and got worse as he gets older as he tends to forget it's a private matter.
He's known as a blabbermouth.
If I make the mistake of confiding in him,and ofcourse I do, I have to make him promise not to share it.
Just now outside the post office a woman acquaintance stopped me to chat. I told her it was DHs birthday at the weekend and she wanted to know his age. I told her but didn't really want our ages discussed.
My fault for mentioning it.
The weather is the only safe topic..... and even then wink

Nvella Mon 15-Jul-19 11:57:47

I am an open book and would never care what anyone knows about me - well I might not give out my bank pin number!

sazz1 Mon 15-Jul-19 11:51:34

I don't tell my OH anything personal unless I want to share it myself with friends an family for the same reason

Dianehillbilly1957 Mon 15-Jul-19 11:39:32

My other half is a bit like that sometimes. It infuriates me as I keep my cards close to my chest, hate folk knowing all about my business...So sometimes I have to tell him to keep his gob shut..
We know men don't think like us whatsoever!!!
He seems to think I'm strange, so I'm glad to read your post & releived it's not just me..?

sarahellenwhitney Mon 15-Jul-19 11:38:56

MissAdventure
Got it in one.

Juliet27 Mon 15-Jul-19 11:31:13

My DH is the complete opposite...never tells anyone anything. Someone he worked with for years didn't even realise he had children.

sarahellenwhitney Mon 15-Jul-19 11:27:20

Ladyoz
Unless your DH is 'thick skinned' then play him at his own game.Do some research as there must be something gringringrinH prefers kept behind 'closed doors'grin

GabriellaG54 Mon 15-Jul-19 10:56:57

lemongrove
How very dare you...???

dragonfly46 Mon 15-Jul-19 10:55:34

My husband also talks about my business but not only that he gets it wrong! I have, however, got used to it after 50 odd years and I really think at the end of the day it doesn't really matter.

BradfordLass72 Mon 15-Jul-19 08:13:48

MissAdventure off topic but you just reminded me that a few weeks ago, a friend told me her daughter had made 'some lovely bowels' in pottery class.

I tried not to laugh because it's actually the Kiwi accent.
They will also say 'knowen' as in 'I should have knowen it wouldn't fit.'

MissAdventure Sun 14-Jul-19 19:38:30

How about ensuring your husband is in earshot and then telling a stranger; "Of course, my (insert husbands name) is an absolute martyr to his bowels..."
Then begin to tell them some stories to prove your statement.