Gransnet forums

Relationships

Estrangement and siblings

(31 Posts)
Razzmatazz123 Mon 26-Aug-19 02:06:48

Often when one child estranges there is a sibling that does not. What would you do in that situation? Would you talk to the sibling about their estranged brother/sister and tell them all their brother/sisters wrongdoings? Would you expect them to take your side? Would you ask them to mediate? Or would you encourage them to stay in contact with the estranged child and stay out of their relationship?

4allweknow Mon 26-Aug-19 17:17:57

Do not enter any conversation other than to acknowledge the situation. And, if situation is conducive to saying you are sad about it then do so. Nothing else.

notanan2 Mon 26-Aug-19 17:20:50

"Thanks for letting me know" is always a good reply if there is any possibility of "shit-stirring"

rosieod1 Mon 26-Aug-19 22:32:49

My nephew started a situation a few years ago,all down to his obsession with football.got all his friends on board and made my life hell on social media. Sadly my sister sided with her son and then the rest of my football obsessed family jumped on the bandwagon and I've been ostracised ever since.Was very hard for me as we were such a close family but then one day you come to realise enough is enough and make the most of the people in your life that do love you and appreciate you.So a huge heads up to my wonderful husband,his amazing family,my gorgeous children and as for my so called family.Go f* yourselves cos you ain't worth my tears anymore xx

glammagran Mon 26-Aug-19 23:31:42

That’s heart breaking twinlolly. Were you non or idetical twins ?

Maremia Tue 27-Aug-19 10:34:30

Twinlolly, so sorry for your loss. You did the best thing by saying those loving words.