Gransnet forums

Relationships

The wonderful season (not!)

(29 Posts)
Nannanoo Mon 21-Oct-19 11:43:01

My DD is going hairless trying to ensure that I don't spend Christmas alone. She and partner are spending Christmas with his family this year, which will be lovely, as they haven't been able to do so for a couple of years. Her in-laws have kindly invited me to their family gathering, and I am most grateful, but I dread the very long journey.
My other two children are also committed to their in laws, which is fine by me.
In vain have I tried to convince DD that I am perfectly happy to spend Christmas Day solo. It's not as tho' I'm a lonely old woman, I see my family constantly, and of course they are a great delight to me.
What I am trying to do is to pluck up the courage to tell DD that I would love two or three days to myself. I'm thinking feet up, telly on, glass of sherry and a bit of chocolate, and I shall make a dainty dinner entirely to my own liking without having to worry about what DGC will want.
I love my grandchildren most dearly, but they spend most of their down time with me, and I sometimes find myself exhausted. They are aged 2 and 5, and adorable but demanding as you can imagine.
Am I being a curmudgeonly old grinch to long for a little solitude, and should I give in to DDs kindly recommendation of joining the huge, noisy and very youthful celebrations at the other end of the country?

MawB Mon 21-Oct-19 11:45:50

Tell them - they may all heave a huge sigh of relief or possibly given that your plan sounds very attractive, you may find them sneaking down to join you!
(With luck it might snow, or perhaps you could arrange a suitable car malfunction or even flu if they really won’t take No for an answer? )

Eglantine21 Mon 21-Oct-19 11:49:50

You could lie and tell them you’ve invited a couple of friends.

Or even invite a couple of friends?

Greenfinch Mon 21-Oct-19 12:01:31

I agree with Maw .You could even show them your post to explain how you really feel.

geekesse Mon 21-Oct-19 12:01:32

I love solo Christmases. I get in a load of smoked salmon, a few bottles of champagne, a tin of Quality Street and a box set of something I want to watch. I make a batch of mince pies on Christmas Eve listening to Nine Lessons and Carols, decorate a tree and go to bed early. —My— —daughter— Father Christmas always sends me a ‘stocking’ of little bits and pieces she has put away over the year, and I open that in bed on Christmas morning. We all ring one another sometime during the day. I know they are thinking of me, in any case, and they know I am thinking of them. It’s sheer bliss this way - no stress, no squabbles, and no washing up.

Nonnie Mon 21-Oct-19 12:11:51

I agree with Maw too.

SusieB50 Mon 21-Oct-19 12:16:37

For the first time ever we will not be together at my mother's large house for Christmas . My mum died just before Christmas last year and we all decided to continue with Christmas there . It was lovely being together to reminisce with my sister and family , my brother and my DD and family , with DS and family coming before Christmas dinner for drinks and presents . This year , no large house and a qscattered family . We were going to Portugal with DD and family but DH very unwell and waiting for test results with possible surgery . So we have cancelled so we only lose our deposit! I am actually quite happy to be at home quietly , maybe seeing DS and family before dinner , but DD very unhappy that we will be on our own . Probably should mention that DH is a miserable "B" at times particularly at Christmas ! But I will enjoy peace and quiet and no marathon cooking .

BlueBelle Mon 21-Oct-19 12:36:34

I ve got a daughter who wouldn’t leave me alone at Christmas even if I requested it ?but my friend last year decided she wanted a Christmas on her own her three sons who live in different parts of the country were a bit upset at first but honoured it she was then a bit bombarded with friends ‘oh you can’t be alone Christmas Day’ but she stuck to her guns and said she had a delightful time doing exactly as she wanted

EllanVannin Mon 21-Oct-19 12:37:56

After years and years of sweating it out cooking for a large and extended family I was only too happy to latterly be left to my own devices. I couldn't do it now anyway, but it was good while it lasted.

Another blissfully quiet day, some cooking for my D and GS as D is working on the day until about 5pm or thereabouts then they can hop-it as soon as they like as I don't hold them to stay just because I've cooked for them. Everyone loves their own home comforts and relaxation, that I do appreciate.

GD will cook and see to her own brood and we'll go and take presents on Boxing day, along with left-overs etc to help her out, cooked meats and trifle for the children.

I love the peace and quiet, and the carols, no rush and no pressure, with just my thoughts for company.

Nellie098 Mon 21-Oct-19 12:54:25

Just say that you are very grateful that they are so caring but you will be spending a few days alone and tell them what you have planned to spoil yourself. Then promise to say hello by Skype, Snapchat or whichever media so that they won't worry and you will be able to watch the presents being opened. You will need to be firm. It may also be worth speaking to her in-laws so that they know how you feel and it isn't about not being with them. Being older I am sure they will be more understanding and can relay this to your DD.

Nannanoo Wed 23-Oct-19 12:14:34

Thanks for all your wise advice. I don't feel quite such a Grinch now!smile

grapefruitpip Wed 23-Oct-19 12:16:54

Just do it! You are an adult. Your family sound lovely. Trust your inner voice.

MawB Wed 23-Oct-19 12:24:55

Just a hint - if you are doing Skype or FaceTime, make sure you hide the toy boy in the cupboard along with all the empty bottles
And make sure your hair and clothes are straight gringringrin

merlotgran Wed 23-Oct-19 12:32:44

I usually spend Christmas Day morning plastered in make up in case anyone FaceTimes. Best pinny on and curtains checked in case DH has left them in a wonky state. grin

I tend not to worry about the empty Bucks Fizz glasses. grin

sodapop Wed 23-Oct-19 12:50:03

Yes go for it Nannanoo sounds like bliss after looking after your family a lot of the time. Explain to your daughter how you feel, they all sound to be very caring so will understand I'm sure. We have had some lovely times at Christmas with no visitors, just us and the animals - wonderful.

grin Like your style Merlotgran

Grammaretto Wed 23-Oct-19 15:37:57

If you are absolutely sure that this will suit you then go for it!
We had a quiet Christmas one year but there were 2 of us. I'm not certain I would be happy by myself.
Once you are quite sure then it should be easy to persuade your DD.

Tedber Wed 23-Oct-19 17:02:16

Aww nannanoo Same here t.b.h. I have lots of GC am involved with on daily basis and for years the family all came to me for Christmas dinner. Now the GC are growing they want to spend it in their various homes.

I am so happy about this BUT my daughters think I actually NEED to be included somewhere/someplace lol. Am grateful for their love and devotion.

In actual fact I really really want to spend Christmas day doing just what I want to do! For the first time in my life lol.

Am meeting objections to this (for gawd knows what reason) other than they don't actually believe me!

I have even thought I may just go away? BUT not sure if can afford the prices abroad etc...sooo...am just going to stick to my guns and say....am doing what I want to do for a change.

Reminds me of my dear dad, years ago when asked what he wanted for Christmas dinner and he said "A boiled egg"...we all told him he was a misery guts etc etc but you know whar? NOW I would be happy with a boiled egg and as many programmes on t.v. I wanted to watch bahaha

M0nica Wed 23-Oct-19 17:09:22

I love Christmas totally and I love having my family around me BUT just now and again I fantasise about spending Christmas all alone. I would do all the Christmas thing, surround myself by tree and decorations and cook a turkey lunch, but just be by myself: listen to music, go for a long walk, read a good book. No television, left to myself I wouldn't bother to have one. Just a fantasy, I am really, truly,looking forward to Christmas with my family

Davida1968 Wed 23-Oct-19 17:12:20

I agree with Maw B. Tell them now, and be as clear as you can be, so that there can be no misunderstanding. End of.

wildswan16 Wed 23-Oct-19 17:15:19

Isn't it annoying when our loved ones just won't believe us.

We can say we like spending Christmas on our own until the cows come home, but they still think we are being "nice" or "don't want to be a nuisance". They are also scared their friends will think they are really mean if they confess their mum or their dad is alone on Christmas Day.

EllanVannin Wed 23-Oct-19 17:38:51

Yes, we all love our AC, GC and GGC but in my position you'd have to have nerves of steel to be part of 7 screeching/excited GGC children for hours on Christmas Day, even peace is noisy when you can still hear your ears ringing for ages after.

Bridgeit Wed 23-Oct-19 19:57:41

You must be firm,( I know exact where you are coming from)
Perhaps write them a letter explaining how you feel, making sure to tell them that you would like them to respect your wishes & that you have earned the right to choose .best wishes

BradfordLass72 Thu 24-Oct-19 05:55:39

I suggest you let your DD read your post - it explains perfectly how you feel and what you wish for.

Explain that the best Christmas gift she could give you would be allowing you to celebrate the season your way.

felice Thu 24-Oct-19 08:05:12

I live in the Granny flat so Daughter her Husband and Grandson are upstairs.
Christmas has become a routine now.
Daughters Husband will work very late on Christmas eve, so in the morning daughter and Grandson will come downstairs to open his presents here.
Then once Papa has had some sleep they will go back up to open presents there.
I will have lots of nice luxury food which I will graze on.
Grandson will wander up and down and a very pleasant day will ensue.
Might pop along the road to Church in the morning.

Hithere Thu 24-Oct-19 18:51:04

Tell your dd what you told us. She should respect your decision.

I have the expectations that are imposed on Christmas and how this fake happiness must be present at all times - this is why it is so stressful and the source of conflict in many families.