Gransnet forums

Relationships

Don’t know how to feel

(33 Posts)
jaylucy Fri 08-Nov-19 10:59:49

I assume that none of you live in the UK? Camping in December or January would be more of a punishment than a treat ! Although, my brother and SiL have often been in their caravan on Christmas day!
I'd guess he was thinking that no firm arrangements had been made for you to go and stay, or just that they will only be away from home Christmas day and Boxing day - travelling to you would mean that he would have to take more days off work if he has no leave left.
Just hope that they have a great time and look forward to a second christmas with the GC in January!

March Fri 08-Nov-19 10:56:42

He could of already booked that off as holiday weeks/months ago. It could of been planned for a while and forgot, felt guilty and didn't say anything.

It could of been a few days holiday.

He could just want a holiday instead of hosting.

There could be lots of reasons. I honestly wouldn't worry.

FarNorth Fri 08-Nov-19 10:52:27

How long is the camping trip? Maybe DiL had arranged it with sister and DS didn't know, at the time he spoke to his dad.

Or Son said "It would be nice" and then forgot about it as it hasn't been made definite.

If your son has a good relationship with you both, I expect there's nothing to worry about.

Kartush Fri 08-Nov-19 10:32:05

Gone girl, the reason I didn’t call my son out on the situation was that there is a possibility that the decision to go away camping was my daughter in laws as it is her family that appear to be accompanying them and I did not want to put my son on the spot or make him uncomfortable
And Flexible friend, I understand what you are saying but ...he forgot ? We only are able to visit once a year and he forgot? Hence my struggle

Gonegirl Fri 08-Nov-19 09:54:44

Could you perhaps afford to go away somewhere really nice yourselves? Not horrible camping of course. A really nice hotel somewhere.

No need to keep it a secret from son either. smile

Gonegirl Fri 08-Nov-19 09:52:38

Why didn't you say, "Oh, I thought you'd used up all your holiday leave"? I would have done. Better out than in.

Why do people pussyfoot around each other so much? confused

Too late now. No Christmas presents for them then.

FlexibleFriend Fri 08-Nov-19 09:47:12

Why try and second guess? Just assume he forgot about you visiting and has accepted an invitation to do something with his kids. There's no point fretting about it. Just visit in January and enjoy yourselves, way too much is made of Christmas.

Kartush Fri 08-Nov-19 09:10:16

About a month ago my husband was talking to our son (who lives over 2500km away) and asked him what they were doing for Christmas (were they thinking of coming up our way) as we were thinking of visiting. My son said they were staying home as he had used up all of his holiday time and it would be nice if we visited. It was my birthday the other day and my son video chatted so my grandkids could say happy birthday. Towards the end of the conversation I asked him if Christmas was still ok. He said well no because they had decided to go camping at the coast, at which point my granddaughter piped up and said .. you should come camping with us granny cos you know ...and she mentioned my daughter in laws sister and her family. I found myself slightly flabbergasted, and just went no it’s ok we will do it later at which point my son looked very relieved and said yes maybe January would be better. I am at a loss, did he suddenly find holiday leave? Did he forget that we had asked if we could come, did they really not want us to come. I really don’t know how to feel