Gransnet forums

Relationships

Marriage

(162 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Sun 08-Dec-19 16:35:45

If you were to have your time over again, how many of us would marry your same husband/Wife Warts n All, and for the record I certainly would

kissngate Wed 05-Feb-20 22:16:08

No. Wish we had lived together first but it wasnt the done thing then. Two wonderful children and grandchildren which I wouldn't change. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde is how our daughter described her dad years ago and he hasn't changed.

Billybob4491 Wed 05-Feb-20 18:28:33

I only fell in love with one man and I married him, 58 years down the line I do believe he was heaven sent.

Murky Wed 05-Feb-20 18:22:11

Not sure. We've been married six years and now that he's retired it's been h-ll. I feel like I'm being suffocated.

tressa Fri 27-Dec-19 17:01:43

definitely no

DanniRae Sat 21-Dec-19 09:27:05

HettyMaud - He is not married - and glad you can see where I am coming from. Thank You! smile

harrigran Fri 20-Dec-19 16:46:47

Yes I would, he was lovely when he was young and is even more caring and considerate now.

lavenderzen Fri 20-Dec-19 15:46:58

Absolutely not.

HettyMaud Fri 20-Dec-19 15:34:28

Oh my goodness DanniRae. If the other man is also married I'd leave it where it is and enjoy it. Otherwise there will be huge repercussions. But can see where you're coming from.

DanniRae Thu 19-Dec-19 10:25:28

I knew I didn't love my husband when we married - but I accepted because I was lonely and felt I would never meet anyone else. We have three wonderful children and a grandson now and I feel I would rock their world if I left but I have someone else in the background and he has been there for nearly 30 years. We are just friends - he is single - but just lately things have changed and become a bit flirty (from me) and I wonder what is in the future?? Would I leave my husband if the other man asked me to? I don't know but it would be so amazing to be in the arms of someone that I really felt something for. Whose happiness is more important mine or my children?? My answer to this changes day by day...

bikergran Thu 19-Dec-19 08:49:23

Yes .......... you don't know what you have had until their gone.

20 yrs difference between myself and late Dh but would do it all again "if only we had the chance"

Lyndylou Wed 18-Dec-19 21:27:14

Definitely NO to the first husband. I know he loved me but he loved the image he had of me. He knew and said he loved the career loving feminist side of me but he really needed a replacement mother. Someone who would put his job first and ensure the house was clean and the kids were looked after. I did my best, gave up many different jobs to follow him around RAF postings and accepted being told that our children were completely my responsibility,. He didn't do "child care or house work". Then after 25 years, like patricia, one of our "friends" stole him away and I found myself very relieved.

I have been with my present partner for 15 years and I wish I had met him earlier and we could have had more time together. Our paths could have crossed so many times before we actually met, it was uncanny. I was quite happy living alone before I met him and he drives me mad sometimes, but I can't imagine being without him now.

Tedber Wed 18-Dec-19 19:35:38

Awww this thread has made me feel happy and sad.

What I know is NOBODY is absolutely perfect so in the words of Meatloaf 2 out of 3 aint bad!

I feel for the people who lost their husbands young and I feel it for those who are living long lives with husbands that drive them insane! And happy for those who have husbands they have grown older with and continue to love each other.

I guess I am a mixture because I was widowed young and spent many years alone with children and met a man who I married 10 years ago. Absolutely NO comparison as the two men are so different in every which way. Would I have been eternally happy with husband number 1? Erm not sure about that (lots of faults even though I did love him) but would I have been happy with hubby number 2 when I was young...Erm not sure about that either???

My advice is to ENJOY your life with or without a partner. Be yourself and do exactly what you want to do.

ladytina42 Tue 17-Dec-19 19:07:39

I’m sorry to say I don’t think I would, by and large he is a lovely man, a good person and generally liked by all but he’s done a few things that have hurt me badly (I don’t mean affairs) and I haven’t forgotten and don’t seem to be able to forgive. The funny thing is that there is nothing he wouldn’t do for me and I know he loves me but when I think about whether I love him I can’t seem to find an answer....

Sparkling Mon 16-Dec-19 08:44:24

Tingle, so very sorry. Lost my lovely husband to cancer too young. Would i marry him again, yes, I wanted it to be forever.

TrendyNannie6 Sun 15-Dec-19 22:50:22

It’s great to hear so many of you would marry the same man again, I know I would also in a heartbeat, so sad to hear bluebird 64 your post, it must be extremely difficult for your husband to overcome ptsd my dad actually had vascular dementia for many years , wishing you all the best x

blondenana Sun 15-Dec-19 22:42:03

No, twice, not lucky in love it seems, both were control freaks,

M0nica Sun 15-Dec-19 20:22:21

mepl1 are there any hidden health problems? My DH got like that over the last 5 or 6 years then earlier this year he had a micro-sleep when driving, no damage done to any other car or driver, but he went to see his GP, who almost instantly diagnosed sleep apnea. He is overweight and thick-necked the classic description of someone with this problem. His airways were collapsing when he lay down so he couldn't breathe properly as a result he was taking mini-wakes all night long as he gasped for breathe. Up to 50 mini wakes an hour. The result: during the day he was grumpy and morose and constantly sitting in a chair and falling asleep. He was given an apparatus that monitors his breathing at night and pushes air into it to keep the airways open.

It took one night of decent sleep. He woke early next morning bright eyed and bushy tailed, didn't sleep all day and started two DIY jobs that had been awaiting his attention for months. Suddenly the real person, hidden for years under all that exhaustion was back with me.

It is a problem most people do not know they have, so do not get treated for.

melp1 Sun 15-Dec-19 19:29:36

After 50 years, No he's gotten so grumpy and no fun to be with any more. So impatient, I feel trapped.
Used to be fun and made me laugh, at least we have 2 lovely sons and their're great fathers but I should have bailed 15 years ago now feel its too late, who divorces at 67?

Jane43 Thu 12-Dec-19 23:19:00

Yes absolutely. 55 years for us too come February 27th.

wetflannel Thu 12-Dec-19 23:13:52

Yes,yes and yes again. Had our fair share of ups and downs but have got through it together. 50 years and 1 month.

kittylester Tue 10-Dec-19 19:30:46

I feel so sad for people who are in unhappy marriages.

I am convinced that having a happy marriage is a lot of luck - certainly in our case. We met, fancied each other rotten and decided to get married which is not a good basis. Luckily lust deepened to love, we had 5 children and so had no option but to get on with it. I feel we grew together where others grew apart through no-one's fault. And, I love him to pieces and have no doubt he does me.

Bluebird64 Tue 10-Dec-19 18:31:35

Hi TrendyNannie6, this really made me think! The answer is yes. My poor (second) husband has tried so hard to overcome post-traumatic stress from a dreadful road crash years ago when his vehicle killed someone, though he was declared blameless; followed by cardiovascular disease which has not responded well to treatment and has left him registered disabled. But he is much changed from the lively, affectionate man I met almost 18 years ago, is now withdrawn and negative, and can be quite rude when tired and stressed. It may also be the start of vascular dementia. But he's always here, always willing to help, not interested in gambling or womanising or getting into debt, and is devoted to me though he finds it hard to show it. As I am a homebody who loves a quiet life, in many ways he's perfect!

Greyduster Tue 10-Dec-19 14:12:59

Tinyl?

Would I? Yes, in a heartbeat, but that doesn’t mean that marriage was not a very steep learning curve for both of us. We have loved each other for 53 years. He is kind, accommodating, even tempered and slightly dull, but he still surprises me from time to time, and he makes me laugh.

annep1 Tue 10-Dec-19 14:00:38

Tinyl so sorry.

Kilmun Tue 10-Dec-19 12:59:24

No, wouldn’t wish to repeat 50 years with a self centred, lazy, womaniser. However, he has improved slightly in old age, for obvious reasons ? and isn’t a bad tempered man. I only stuck with him because my first husband was morose. I put up with second as anything is better than living with a humourless, dull man.