Gransnet forums

Relationships

Geriatric infidelity (problem page letter and response). What do we think?

(33 Posts)
GagaJo Fri 27-Dec-19 18:06:06

Letter to agony aunt
The dilemma I’m 77 and have been married for 54 years. Seven years ago, I delivered the eulogy for a childhood friend. Afterwards the lady next to me held my hand and said, “Good job.” On impulse, I later found her phone number and called her. It was the start of a seven-year affair. She knew I was married. She was separated and later divorced her husband. I told her that divorcing my wife was out of the question. Also, I said eventually that someone would come along and steal her heart and that she would leave me.

Our relationship was wonderful. In time she mentioned that she would like more. Even asked what it would be like if we were together all the time. I brushed these questions off, usually. I thought it was an ideal situation for both of us. She had grandchildren to look after and her daughter was going through a difficult marriage. Our relationship was not going any further. She turned 72 and I knew she was concerned about getting older.

Well, it happened. Her only sibling passed away and a childhood friend – who she dated 50 years ago – came to the funeral. Afterwards she told me they were in love and that he was her soulmate. I bid her farewell and good luck. We have not communicated for four months. Do you think she’ll contact me?

Mariella replies
Well, this is unusual. First, it really is a whole new way of looking at what have been described – perhaps erroneously – as our twilight years. I used to regret the passage of time, as the births, engagement parties and wedding invites dried up and hospital visits and funerals laid a greater claim on my diary. Now I’m seeing the Eulogy Years in a whole new light. Who knew the whole funeral business was such a hotbed of recoupling? Perhaps since you now have a vacancy you should go to them more often, not just to say goodbye to old friends but also acquaintances, neighbours, even being a pew-filler at the ill-attended rites of strangers. Judging by your experience it sounds as though the heightened emotional atmosphere isn’t just energising the mourners to sing the hymns more fervently.

The late Jimmy Goldsmith famously said that marrying your mistress creates a vacancy, and there’s obviously an empty space that you remain eager to fill. That means it wasn’t just an accident of timing and chemistry that spurred you into the arms of the lady in question but, rather, an unspecified and still unfulfilled need.

I have to be true to form and sensible here. Why are you still with your wife? Do you see it as the decent, noble thing to do, despite your infidelity? Perhaps you’ve reached some sort of agreement that weighs the longevity of your union against indiscretions. You do sound like a casual Casanova, determining the boundaries of the relationship based on what suits you best. Is it possible that, even in your late 70s, you were just in it for the sex? If so, I don’t know whether to whoop for joy that the libido can “rage, rage against the dying of the light”, or curl up in exhaustion at the prospect of having to keep going for another two decades.

I suspect you’re not writing to me for my wise words on extra-marital relationships but because you think I’m psychic! Sorry to disappoint, but I have no idea what your ex-mistress is likely to do. Your three short paragraphs are not enough to give me a clear idea of how this total stranger is likely to respond now that she’s found a less furtive relationship.

What I can say is that you’ve had a pretty good innings. An enjoyable seven-year affair that’s left your wife none the wiser seems a pretty good result. You wouldn’t be human though if you didn’t want more. This inclination not to count our blessings but to want to increase them seems as natural as breathing to Homo sapiens. Having brushed off this woman’s attempts to make the liaison less ephemeral, you’ve now discovered what happens when that’s all you want. You won’t be the first man to learn to appreciate your lover once they’ve gone. Truly there really are only two courses of action. The first requires you to get in touch with this woman and admit that her absence has left you longing for contact. Though what you have to offer that she hasn’t now got is hard to surmise. The second is to thank your lucky stars for what you had and what you got away with and determine to inject a little of whatever it was that affair offered, even if it’s simply sex, into your marriage.

To be revealed as a philanderer at any age is no great compliment but for it to happen when you truly are old enough to know better is bordering on embarrassing. My guess is that you’re a decent man who’s stuck with his partner through life’s ups and downs and, ironically, those are the very qualities that make you attractive to others. For my money that’s a far better legacy than chasing around after a woman who clearly wants what you’ve already got.

www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2019/dec/22/my-lover-has-left-me-at-the-age-of-77-and-i-miss-her#comment-136859301

GagaJo Fri 27-Dec-19 18:06:41

(Copied and pasted because links I add frequently don't work!)

BradfordLass72 Fri 27-Dec-19 20:47:31

What sort of response are you looking for GagaJo?

Other than fortitude for reading he whole article.

This doesn't seem to relate to you or have any implied questions to answer confused

GagaJo Fri 27-Dec-19 21:07:09

Simply out of interest BradfordLass72. Isn't what this site is for?

I wasn't sure what I thought about him. I thought others might have a more fixed opinion.

Elegran Fri 27-Dec-19 21:17:33

What I think is that the man is asking the question because he sees a chance to tell someone about his late-in-life affair and boast a bit. He is saying "There is life in the old dog yet!" When he asks "I bid her farewell and good luck. We have not communicated for four months. Do you think she’ll contact me?" he knows very well that she won't - she has found her soulmate, and he obviously wasn't a candidate for that position. He was a stop-gap until the ideal applicant turned up. Now he has been replaced.

Agony aunts get a lot of letters that are really not wanting advice at all - just their fifteen minutes of fame.

GagaJo Fri 27-Dec-19 21:21:09

I wonder about his wife. Where is she in all of his zest for life?

Galaxy Fri 27-Dec-19 22:11:22

Mariella is one of the worst agony aunts ever. Really not pleasant.

Elegran Sat 28-Dec-19 10:52:27

This man's "agony" question was about a self-inflicted wound, Galaxy - he cheated on his wife without even any lasting commitment to his mistress. Then he writes to Mariella wondering whether his now-ex mistress is likely to contact him again now that she has found a permanent love.

I though Mariella's reply was extremely soft on him, actually. Does he really deserve a more "pleasant" response? I am sure that if he had posted to Gransnet he would have heard some harder home truths and Mumsnet would have been even more critical.

Chewbacca Sat 28-Dec-19 11:00:25

There are so many people in this world with genuine hardships and problems, not of their own making, that it's extremely difficult to give this "man" a moment's thought as to how he can resolve a problem of his own making; or give it any headspace at all really. I'm a little confused as to why it even caught OP's attention and why it was ever thought worthy of a discussion. But each to their own......

grannylyn65 Sat 28-Dec-19 11:10:13

Who cares?

BlueBelle Sat 28-Dec-19 11:12:19

Just bragging ....couldn’t be bothered to read to the end to be honest

Elegran Sat 28-Dec-19 11:25:38

Chewbacca I think Gagajo was struck by the same contrast that we hve all seen, between the real problems faced by so many and the shallow nature of this one.

vampirequeen Sat 28-Dec-19 11:27:42

I wonder if he'd had affairs in the past. He seemed to have a very cavalier, nay, narcissistic attitude. The only feelings he cared about were his own.

Tedber Sat 28-Dec-19 17:10:27

I actually thought this was the OP dilemma! ?

Not sure what to say either. Not very original tbh. He Sounds like a lot of men who want their cake and eat it! ?. What does the age matter?

Good for the other woman finding someone else and giving him the big E.

Galaxy Sat 28-Dec-19 17:21:28

That was my point elegran her response was ridiculous. She offered scant concern for the wife. I don't think she likes women very much.

Elegran Sat 28-Dec-19 17:46:16

She isn't exactly approving of the husband, though, if you read between the lines. She calls him a "casual Casanova" with a vacancy he seems "eager to fill," says he has had a "pretty good innings" and suggests that he " thank your lucky stars for what you had and what you got away with and determine to inject a little of whatever it was that affair offered, even if it’s simply sex, into your marriage." If he follows that advice his marriage (and wife) might gain a little of the excitement he sought and found with the mistress.

Hetty58 Sat 28-Dec-19 17:58:24

'old enough to know better' struck me as odd. Many men, of all ages, do this if they have a hope of getting away with it.

A seven-year affair is quite an accomplishment, longer than many marriages. Often, the wife knows all about it but sees no reason to give up on the security and companionship of an established marriage. She might even be relieved at not having to supply the sex!

BBbevan Sat 28-Dec-19 18:01:53

He is a boring old f--t in my opinion

Galaxy Sat 28-Dec-19 18:58:23

Or perhaps his wife could find excitement without him. His letter is utterly self obsessed and bursting with the urge to show off his exploits. I imagine he is utterly inadequate at providing anyone with excitement.

Elegran Sat 28-Dec-19 19:11:01

Except himself.

phoenix Sat 28-Dec-19 19:13:45

On for heavens sake!

Are we really expected to show interest in this? A letter written to an agony aunt (of whom I have never heard, but seems from this to be quite an unpleasant person!) concerning the experiences of someone who has no connection with GN?

Sorry, not like me to be so waspish, GagaJo but I think there are other things that could be posted, that might result in more productive conversations.

Tedber Sat 28-Dec-19 19:13:53

LOL Galaxy and that is assuming the post is genuine? Am sure people just make things up when they are bored or even the mags themselves sometimes? Like editor saying "OK what we got on the problem front?" Well nothing new on last week so how about "blah blah blah" I am sure it goes on smile

GagaJo Sat 28-Dec-19 19:31:12

Just thought it was a break from the usual 'politics, Christmas, ill health' posts Phoenix.

If you don't like a post, why comment? I read and then return to the menu. If I was rude about every post I thought was a waste of time, I'd be on here for hours.

Tedber Sat 28-Dec-19 20:09:55

Oh gagajo. Just to clarify I wasn’t referring to YOUR post not being genuine. I just meant was it a genuine problem sent in?

Sorry if it looked like I was addressing that to you.

Barmeyoldbat Sat 28-Dec-19 20:27:56

He just wanted a chance to brag and say look at me I still have it, or did. Maybe the wife was having more excitement with someone else and didn't care.