Gransnet forums

Relationships

No sleep and spitting feathers

(169 Posts)
Livlass Tue 31-Dec-19 06:32:16

Awake all night absolutely fuming.My step daughter(59) chatting to me earlier had told me that since 1 Sep last year when she was made redundant,(she got a payout),she had been claiming Universal Credit,pays her London rent everything.Fine but she hadn’t disclosed to the DWP that her 26 yr old working son,he’s got a good job in the City was living with her. Also her Dad has given her a monthly allowance for years,.She also said for years she’d been claiming the single persons council tax. She runs a car,has good clothes,has her long blonde hair dyed regularly in London. When I said it was illegal she has this can’t care less attitude. You all might say well there’s hundreds doing this.But my own daughter a single Mum with two young children went through the benefit system was honest and still ended up in poverty. So I do have some knowledge. My husband,stepdaughters Dad,sat like a lemon and said nothing when she was telling me. He’s a retired police superintendent as well,which makes it worse. Did he already know what she’s doing? Nobody’s up yet but I don’t think I can face them without saying something. Sorry gransnetters just having a rant but to me it’s not right.

mumofmadboys Tue 31-Dec-19 07:14:41

She will realise you do not approve. It is her business. If I were you ,I would keep out of it. Otherwise it will not end well.

travelsafar Tue 31-Dec-19 07:19:03

something very similar happened to me too and like you i felt torn between informing on the said person or not getting involved. I took the later decision as i just couldnt face the possiblity they would find out that i had 'dobbed' them in to authorities. Cowardly i know but if the person is involved with your life it i is soooo difficult. You have my sympathy.

Grammaretto Tue 31-Dec-19 07:30:32

I wonder why she confided in you?
It sounds as though she felt guilty and needed to tell you how she "manages"
Apart from responding to her as you have to us by explaining that benefits are a safety net but not there to be taken by those who don't need them.
I hope you can resolve this but what would you like to happen?

Davidhs Tue 31-Dec-19 07:36:51

Do not become a whistleblower, if you want to admonish your daughter, just say “I don’t want to know”. Fiddling expenses, tax and benefits takes place from top to bottom of society, you probably have done it yourself at some time.
Bear it in mind you are giving any help to your other children.

Beckett Tue 31-Dec-19 08:50:54

If you inform the authorities now she will guess it was you. I would leave it a couple of months and then inform them.

There are so many on GN who consistently complain about there not being enough money for those who need to claim benefits yet appear to be happy to condone someone cheating the system. If more people informed the authorities when they are aware of cheating there would be more money available for those who really need it.

endlessstrife Tue 31-Dec-19 08:51:56

There may be hundreds of people doing it, but you know about this one, and the lies are bothering you. She knows you’re not happy about it, so chances are, this will cause a rift anyway, just by way of how you interact with her. It’s not right, and I would give her a month to tell of her ‘change of circumstances’, then I would take matters in to my own hands.

sodapop Tue 31-Dec-19 09:05:22

I don't think Livlass mentioned telling the authorities just telling her husband what she thought. I know the sensible thing would be to say nothing and retain marital harmony but I would not be able to contain myself and would have to tell my step daughter and husband that I thought claiming benefits in this way was totally wrong. It's reprehensible to defraud the system like this when so many others are in real need.

It's not "fiddling the system" Davidhs it's fraud plain and simple.

endlessstrife Tue 31-Dec-19 09:16:39

Exactly, it’s not a couple of AC squabbling! Yes, you should keep out of that. This is theft. She has burdened you by telling you, and made it your business. You now have every right to do with this information, what you will. People have been banging on about Boris and Brexit, how we’ll end up being a poorer nation, when in fact it is people like this who are doing far more damage with their lies, than Boris ever will!

endlessstrife Tue 31-Dec-19 09:34:36

Her husband already knows Sodapop. He sat still and said nothing whilst his daughter told Livlass.

Grammaretto Tue 31-Dec-19 09:48:32

Isn't Boris supposed to lead from the top endlesstrife? and set a good example.

This kind of deception is commonplace but just because it is, doesn't make it right.

sallyc06 Tue 31-Dec-19 09:55:15

Keep out of it or you could cause a real rift in the family, let someone else report her, someone always does, other people will notice, but if you report it now, she will know it is you.

Jishere Tue 31-Dec-19 09:59:48

I wouldn't worry the authorities will find out. They are getting tougher on things like this. So maybe it's only a matter of time.

tiredoldwoman Tue 31-Dec-19 10:00:10

Don't clipe - you'll regret it, I'm sure ? What she's doing is wrong - I'm angry too that she's getting away with it but I believe in karma , something WILL happen but don't let it be you who causes it .
You've written it down here today , that's good - we share your disgust . I think a wee word to husband to cut down maintaining her lifestyle from your pockets ?
Big hugs to you x

red1 Tue 31-Dec-19 10:00:43

Look at our leaders,in all areas,are they shining lights of morality? She is 59 has she paid a lot into the system?
But yes in some ways it is wrong as you say, is the whole world fair
And equal,no it's getting worse

Juicylucy Tue 31-Dec-19 10:02:30

Your situation is made worse by the fact your own DD still struggled after being honest. Maybe you wouldn’t be so mad if she hadn’t ended in poverty.
I understand how it’s made you feel but I’d suggest bite your tongue as nothing will change, but you could cause a rift and do you need that in your life. I know someone who works has a car a dog etc and claims for everything and mostly gets it as she claims depression.Lets hope Boris can sort it as no one else has yet.

chattykathy Tue 31-Dec-19 10:05:12

It's awful when you hear of this kind of fraud because it gives other claimants a bad reputation, 'they are all at it' kind of thing. However, wealthy people avoiding paying their tax cause the biggest harm to our country. I hope your step daughter tells a few other people so eventually gets caught.

Beanie654321 Tue 31-Dec-19 10:05:55

I'm sorry but I like you think it's disgusting and dishonest. I have two children that are both parents and they work hard to ensure them and my GC are fine. Neither family have a great deal of luxuries, but ensure their bills are paid. It makes my blood boil when I hear of things like this. Instead of being smug she should be ashamed.

endlessstrife Tue 31-Dec-19 10:07:11

No wonder so many people get away with this when so many other heads are fully immersed in the sand!

inkycog Tue 31-Dec-19 10:07:33

A 59 year old with long blonde hair, must be quite a sight.

ayokunmi1 Tue 31-Dec-19 10:07:46

What a let down! first of all make sure all handouts from your husband stops pronto.
Tell your husband how you feel and advice him to tell her to stop .I dont think you can do anything about her adult son living with her though.
Then step back make sure not one penny goes to her from your money via your husband .
At 59 she is a bloody disgrace .

Cid24 Tue 31-Dec-19 10:07:57

This happened to us , with a ( now former ) friend.
I’d say leave it for a few months then tell the authorities anonymously.

jools1903 Tue 31-Dec-19 10:08:36

I’m surprised that the DWP don’t know this already as she will have had to show bank statements for all accounts for many months in arrears! So she’s either withholding that information (hiding it) or she’s given cash each month! This is dreadful and gives the honest benefit claimants such a bad name and creates so many difficulties for them trying to claim. Makes me so mad ?

Buffy Tue 31-Dec-19 10:08:47

Don't know why she told you. Sounds as though she's very pleased with herself. Keep out if it. The greedy girl (woman) will be found out eventually I'm sure.

ExD1938 Tue 31-Dec-19 10:08:51

To 'tell' or not to tell?
The penalties for benefit fraud are swingeing (I used to work in the Benefit Dept) and she could go to prison and still have to pay it back.
You do not have to give your name if you report benefit fraud, you can write or phone anonymously, (with-hold your phone number) and firmly refuse to give your name. (I wouldn't email). Although you will be told there is nothing they can do - believe me, they'll act on the information.