Gransnet forums

Relationships

Missing a birthday card from my DS for the first time

(108 Posts)
Joanny Sat 04-Jan-20 15:17:41

I have received lots of wishes on fb from all of my friends for my 65th birthday and cards from my husband’s family but for the very first time I haven’t received one from my DS. He came to dinner with his girlfriend a couple of days prior to my birthday but didn’t bring it. He knew my DH was taking me for a dinner and overnight stay on my birthday and did say could we meet up at some point in the near future to do something for my birthday but didn’t pop a card through the letter box while we were gone. I am beyond sad because my elderly parents both have dementia and so nothing comes from them, my only sibling died 25 yrs ago so obviously nothing there as there used to be so My DS’s card is extremely important to me and would still be even if I did have other family. His would still be the most important to me. I’m not worried about a present or anything but devastated there is no card. ?? Am I over reacting?

Teddy123 Sun 05-Jan-20 11:44:24

I wonder if your son would notice if you didn't send him a card. I don't think you're over reacting.
A couple of years ago I was at the hair salon and my hairdresser, a confident and busy lady, was upset because her son hadn't given her a mother's day card. It was the Wednesday after mother's day and he sauntered in and handed her a card. I (yep rudely) said to him "no point now, mothers day was last Sunday". He lived locally so no excuse.
SO no you're not over reacting.... If you're upset and disappointed, you're allowed to have feelings ?

MawB Sun 05-Jan-20 11:50:19

I don’t “get” giving people cards (whether birthday or Christmas)
To me, a card is sent its function being to convey love, good wishes whatever when a person isn’t there to express the personally.
My sister in law did this at Christmas (well Boxing Day) disappearing upstairs to write Christmas cards which she then distributed.
But whatever the tradition in your family, omission is unforgivable.

Harris27 Sun 05-Jan-20 11:53:01

I would be the same but quietly be hurt. I am 60 at the end of the month and wondering if they will make any extra effort. I think it’s because we are getting older and our lives shorter! If you know what I mean!

jura2 Sun 05-Jan-20 11:57:39

He came to visit you- so this is so much more important than a pice of paper, surely.

Chaitriona Sun 05-Jan-20 12:04:59

If he usually hands you your card on your birthday and he knew you were going away and he wouldn’t see you this year, that is why he probably didn’t give you one. He may give you one when you see him or he may feel it is a thing you only do on the birthday itself. It probably never occurred to him to make a special trip to put one through the door. I think you are feeling overwhelmed by other things, getting older yourself, both your parents with dememtia, no sibling to share that burden or remember your childhood and you are projecting this onto your son and this card. It sounds as if he is a good son and you have a good relationship with him.

Jishere Sun 05-Jan-20 12:17:07

I think you are more than lucky but isn't it funny our we get worked up about not receiving cards. I sent lovely cards at Xmas to my family and my niece and nephew didnt send me one back. Yet they got me a present! That to me is weird as we all spent Xmas together.
But you have written he wants to do something for your birthday. He might bypass the card and get you a pressie instead. It's best not to expect anything and then every is a lovely surprise.

patricia1958 Sun 05-Jan-20 12:28:56

No your not it happened to me last year I didn't get a card of any of my 4 children not even a txt that hurt so much to me if I get a card that's all that matters but let's hope he knows how much it hurt you and when they next come to see you let's hope he feels guilty but you be strong and dont mention it because that is what he will be thinking you will do

Speldnan Sun 05-Jan-20 12:40:32

My youngest son ( 40now) has never given me any sort of card that I can remember and only the occasional gift. He lives in NZ now and the only time I get gifts is if he comes back for a visit. When he was married his wife used to organise gifts but I knew it was her so they didn’t have same value. I’ve given up being hurt by it, I know he loves me and that’s all that matters.

Jaycee5 Sun 05-Jan-20 12:45:41

He did not ignore your birthday though. He should have given you a card but if he hasn't yet contacted you about doing something, remind him.
I think in ten year's time virtually no one will be sending cards soon.
My cousin sent me a letter saying that he was not sending cards any more because of the ecology - and put it in a card! I think he did the same last year too.
I understand the upset too. My 65th was pretty well ignored by people I thought would remember and it upset me more than I would have expected it to.
It's done now though and there isn't really anything you can do about it.

Tigertooth Sun 05-Jan-20 12:47:33

I don’t think it’s a big issue - he probably has no idea how important it is to you - but do tell him, you sound close enough and unless he knows it upset you he may think it doesn’t matter.

Cabbie21 Sun 05-Jan-20 12:56:31

I agree it is disappointing. I value and appreciate cards too, but I am just glad that they remember my birthday on time. Going out for a meal is even better!
Recently I read something helpful: about the need to accept
( over something you cannot change ) that that is the way it is. You could apply this eg to text messages instead of cards. Even more so to health.
Accepting this reduces hurt and disappointment and resentment.

blueflinders Sun 05-Jan-20 13:12:24

I am split between old school and new school. I am 62 and fully expect my ‘children’ and husband to send me birthday and Mother’s Day cards respectively, the only days they actually convey their gratitude (or otherwise!) of a wife/mother. Yes it’s only a piece of paper, but I would be equally grateful and happy if it was just a post it note saying thanks for ?.... I hold a lot of relevance in the card they chose as well and when it was my 60th I gave specific instructions that I would rather have no card than one that specified the age (as in my head I’m still a lot younger and don’t want to see in print that I’m probably 3/4 of the way through my lifespan!) and the only person who felt it necessary to get an age card was my husband (fool!) so it went straight in the bin! Call me ungrateful if you will but it’s not like I didn’t give 3 months notice of this. I’m not bothered about Christmas cards or any other celebration cards, but I always make sure I send cards to elderly friends and relatives because they hold such high store on receiving cards and it’s only ‘an piece of paper’ that brings them such joy to know they are being thought of. If everyone stopped sending cards (and I’m sure the dwindling will continue with the millennium children) all the card shops will close down and texts/emails/tweets will be the only form of celebration we share with each other. It’s sad but it’s called progress!

4allweknow Sun 05-Jan-20 13:27:18

Another tradition that is dying out, sending cards. Don't be upset, its the way of the world. You DS did visit beforehand so accept that as his acknowledge your birthday. I have given up on cards as what do we do with them? In the recycling bin! Even stopped saving social ones as I know when I either move or depart this earth they will be cleared out. Unless of course I had one signed by some significant person in which case it will be sold!

CleoPanda Sun 05-Jan-20 13:44:22

Definitely a generational thing. In my family, cards were sent to people you couldn’t visit. Otherwise personal greetings negated the need. These days, a text or email, occasional a phone call are the substitute. A social media message seems to satisfy the younger ones.
Which would you prefer? Card or visit? Seems today communication has changed rapidly. If a younger person has become used to communicating via text, email or social media, they’re more likely to forget about cards or actively choose not to buy or send them?

ayokunmi1 Sun 05-Jan-20 13:54:46

Then let him know say im looking forward to receiving my card why keep silent .
You know its not intentional

3nanny6 Sun 05-Jan-20 14:05:05

It's easy to say oh don't be upset as some people have said but when we love and care for family we do feel upset so be upset and own the feeling. I can understand when you say both elderly parents have dementia so no card comes from them, many years ago my late mother did not get me a card one year said she forgot and I was upset anyway she sent my daughter to the shops and their was a card for me in the evening which cheered me up.
I have 3 AC and 3 GC two of my children never send cards or mothers day card. I always done a lot for D with the G.C. and never a birthday card or Christmas card from the grand-children to me not even a small present and I know that it may be getting old fashioned to do cards but it is a token of acknowledgement and if family know you appreciate it so much then it does not hurt to send a card, younger generation are getting selfish as far as I am concerned.

Horatia Sun 05-Jan-20 14:14:47

Joanny A lot of sons don't remember birthdays. It's really not that big a thing for them, but he came to see you and that's far more important. Try not to take it to heart.

grandtanteJE65 Sun 05-Jan-20 14:25:30

I understand why you feel hurt, but I do think you are overreacting. That said, we probably all do overreact about this sort of thing.

This is the first time your son has forgotten to give you a card, so I think you can assume it will turn up when he gets round to carrying out his promise to do something to celebrate your birthday.

If you don't get a card, ask him casually if he wants to stop sending you one? I find the price of cards quite ridiculous and don't usually send them, but send an e-mail instead.

Youngatheart51 Sun 05-Jan-20 14:29:11

I rarely get cards from my adult dds. Occasionally I'll get a mothers day one but as for bday & Xmas forget it. The younger generation just don't seem to do cards anymore. It used to upset me but me & DH are used to it now (I do always ask the little dgc to do us one) This is the last Xmas for giving everyone cards. I cut down a couple of years ago to just immediate family & we donate to charity instead but next year I'm only doing parents & dds & dgc just aren't interested. Give it another decade & I honestly think cards will be a thing of the past ?

melp1 Sun 05-Jan-20 14:43:55

Don't really understand why a card is so important if he came to dinner with his girlfriend. I'd far sooner mine paid a visit than sent a card. Probably didn't bother as he knew you would be away so wouldn't receive it on your birthday.

NanKate Sun 05-Jan-20 15:38:30

I would text or email him as follows.

‘just checking you are ok as I have not had a Bday card from you as usual. Your dad and I did x, y and z on the day etc etc’.

Don’t make a big deal over it, just write as if you are surprised not to hear.

Hithere Sun 05-Jan-20 15:46:15

Nankate,

So your advice is send a text to the son asking him why he didn't give his mother a card, as if scolding a child?

You bet it won't go well

BlueBelle Sun 05-Jan-20 15:53:35

Well telling him he didn’t send you a card is making a big thing over it nankate
There’s people on here who haven’t seen their children and grandchildren for years, it’s a big overreaction and absolutely nothing to feel slighted over
He visited surely that’s the important bit a card and a visit and a present would be too perfect for most sons and a lot of daughters too ?
don’t sweat the small stuff as they say

love0c Sun 05-Jan-20 15:57:26

Joanny, do not ask why you have not had a card! Tell him what you did on the day by all means. He hasn't sent one so nothing will alter that now. H still may give you one which will be lovely. But if not, well hold your tongue please. Nothing good will come of it, believe me!!

Saggi Sun 05-Jan-20 15:58:17

My son is very diligent at card sending/ bringing... present bringing as well... my daughter not so much..,. she is a busy mum with two kids ... a full time job and a consultancy which takes her away from home...sometimes ‘dates’ pass her by. My son is single with no kids and just one job and himself to think off. I do not discrimate or judge....I just accept them for what they are. Sometimes ( not always) she’ll rush in and say
sorry for forgetting my birthday, give me a bunch of pressies and a card, and apologise again , spend an hour and disappear again. She’s not ‘gushy’ , I know she loves and respects me, and I enjoy my late pressie and laugh at an always appropriate card. It’s what it is. I will never lose sleep over any of it.