Gransnet forums

Relationships

DD yet more heartbreak. Why always her?

(35 Posts)
Lizbethann55 Tue 21-Jan-20 19:40:15

Here goes. I have tried writing this so many times. Trying to keep it short and concise. Everytime I think I have it right , the goal posts get shifted. This time someone has thrown them out of the ground. My DD is beautiful, outside and even more so inside. For complicated reasons the man she truly loved (still loves) and who loved (and still loves) her made a catastrophic error of judgement and they are not together. All my DD wants is what her dad and I, her two sisters, and all her friends have. ie, an ideal partner , a nice home and children. Finally she met and married R. He is a lovely man. But totally wrong for her. If there was anything majorly wrong it would be easier. But he is a good man. He doesn't drink, gamble, lie, cheat, shout, bully or any of the big "no nos". But he has no drive, no ambition, no animation, no "oomph". He has little sense of humour. Is a bit dour. The only thing he is serious about is not spending money and no debts. He lived with his parents until he met DDand moved into the little house she has bought. His office job is poorly paid and he has no interest in bettering it. My DD earns way more than him so is trapped in her stressful job. He makes few decisions and is not remotely pro active in their lives. Despite that he is a truly lovely man. All would have survived had the longed for baby arrived. But it didn't. Tests proved his sperm count was low and quality poor. IVF followed. He went along with it, but did no research, read no books, asked no questions. Two goes failed. DD put off trying again. Said she wasn't ready. Later admitted doubts about her future with SiL. Long discussions. At Christmas I really expected her alone with her suitcase. No. It was them with positive pregnancy test. About four weeks. TBH I wasnt sure how I felt, and even less sure about how she felt. But they were obviously making a go of it and SiL was really proactive and keen. A new him!. Today. Tragedy. Following a car bump ( a man on his phone bumped into back of DD) she went to hospital to be checked. Turns out the baby is no more. Not because of bump, it had died a couple of weeks ago. My daughter has to go back to get it all"taken away". We are all bereft. My DD is utterly distraught. Nothing ever goes right for her, despite being the loveliest person you could ever meet. Thank you if you have stayed with me. I know there is no advice you can give. I just want your loving arms around me to help me guide her through this.

Hetty58 Thu 23-Jan-20 23:18:16

You write about your SIL in a very disrespectful way. Obviously, you consider him not good enough for your daughter.

Then you later say that you love him dearly, which is odd. It's just very sad as it's her life, not yours. I hope you're not so negative about things when you're with them.

You think you need 'help to guide her through this' but babies are lost all the time and parents have to be allowed to grieve in their own ways. All you need to be is a supportive, loving mum.

Lizbethann55 Fri 24-Jan-20 17:18:09

Thank you Hetty58. Next time they are both sobbing their hearts out literally in my arms, I shall just remind them both that babies are lost all the time. I am sure they will find that totally reassuring

eazybee Fri 24-Jan-20 18:52:08

I feel great sympathy for your daughter and son in law's distress over the loss of their baby, (not just hers)
What I don't understand is your need to list all your son in law's perceived inadequacies, down to his low sperm count, because in your eyes, he is totally the wrong man for her.
Most distasteful.

Lizbethann55 Sat 25-Jan-20 12:22:35

Hi. I am rather hoping this has become last week's news and everyone has moved on. If that is so , I can ramble on to my hearts content and pour my soul out to a green box. My poor, darling SiL. Even as I was writing it I knew I sounded like a heartless cow and you would wonder how I could say such awful things, then say I love him. But it is true. He is a sweet, kind man who adores my daughter. And no, he does not know how I feel. Though in the awful hours of Thursday when having waited 9 hours my DD went into surgery he told me that he knew how desperately unhappy she was and how close she had been to leaving him. I got to thinking. This "being right" for someone is just how it is. It doesn't mean someone is bad, or wrong, or not good enough. I have been happily married for over 40 years. We were introduced by an old school friend that my DH had previously gone out with. She had recently married a friend of my now DH. There had been no tears or heartache when they split up. Buy why did she love his friend and not him? Why did DH fall in love with me and not her? We are similar ages had similar opinions, ambitions, aims but , for some reason they just weren't "right " for each other. One wasn't better than the other. One wasn't "wrong" or "not good enough". It was just that that intangible, unexplainable "rightness" wasn't there. My SiL was virtually 40 when they met. My DD only a few years younger. Time was not on their side, and even less so now. DD was in a very vulnerable, bad way when they got together having met earlier at a wedding. His kindness, gentleness and safety was exactly what she needed. And they are the traits that we love. He has OCD and when he feels really passionate about something it kicks in and there is no stopping him. It happened after the positive pregnancy test and that is why we were surprised that he didn't feel more passion for the IVF or the results of the sperm tests. (Doing research, asking questions, looking for solutions etc). I didn't mean to offend by mentioning the sperm thing. It just seems to add to the catalogue of DDs issues to be faced. I don't blame him and it certainly isn't his fault. Mumps maybe. If he had known and said nothing then it would have been different.. still. That's enough for now. I have rambled on for more than enough. Thanks for listening.

Caramac Sat 25-Jan-20 12:31:54

Oh lizbethann your heart is aching and understandably so. I hope your continued support will get you all through this and in time a dc for your daughter, a dgc for you, will arrive to brighten your lives. If that’s not to be then I’m sure your loving relationship with your DD will help you all. flowers

Hithere Sat 25-Jan-20 13:00:26

Your dd is an adult and makes her choices in life.

If she is not happy, she can choose to change.

She chose to marry a guy who didn't make her fully happy but was ok for the moment.

If her first love and your dd still love each other, why are they not together?
If 2 people want to be together, nothing will stop them.

Your dd needs a therapist to put her life together.
From your comments, it seems she is list, going with the flow.

You are not equipped to be their therapist. You do not deserve to have other people's emotional pain on your shoulders, you deserve to be happy and not worried about things you cannot fix.

Life is not fair. Life happens and we do not end up with our first choices. And it's ok! Maybee the second choice is better.
Maybe we settle, we make the best of life giving us lemons and we learn to be happy.
I think your dd needs to learn that.

Starlady Mon 27-Jan-20 01:31:19

Lots of hugs, Lizbeth!

IDK if SIL is "wrong" for DD for the reasons you think or if it's b/c her heart is still w/ her previous love. Like Hithere, I think if he and she really love each other and want to be together, they should be together. I don't want to see SIL get hurt, and I'm sure you don't either, but DD has a right to be happy. And maybe it would be best for SIL to be free to find someone who would love him the way she loves her former sweetheart.

But, of course, all that is up to her/them, as others have said. All you can do is show her and SIL all the love, comfort, and support you can (as you clearlyi are doing).

So lots of hugs for you all!

Grandma2213 Tue 28-Jan-20 01:24:41

So much sadness and heartbreak for you all. Just keep up your support and hope. As the old song says, 'What will be will be.'

Hithere Tue 28-Jan-20 02:52:35

The more I think about it, the worse I feel for SIL.

He must know your dd settled for him, and the baby was a band aid to keep them together. He must fear what the future holds for him.

Your title asks "why always her" - I think your dd and you must realize life is not up to get her (dd) and she is not a victim.

Disclaimer: this last paragraph does not apply to the miscarriage. It is a truly awful event and I hope you all heal, with time.