Gransnet forums

Relationships

What is the best gift you have received for Valentine's Day?

(69 Posts)
FearlessSwiftie Thu 13-Feb-20 08:18:12

I just wonder what great gifts did my fellow GNs got? Mine was a puppy that my boyfriend got me 3 years ago. We agreed about it completely so it was not a surprise but still I loved this moment so much!

Missfoodlove Thu 13-Feb-20 09:47:14

My son born 14/2/87.

gillybob Thu 13-Feb-20 09:53:51

A bunch of roses that was delivered to my place of work many years ago.

I was a young single mother and working in Engineering . I was the only woman there. The flowers were unsigned and the speculation as to who had sent them was really quite funny.

They turned out to be from the most quiet man there, the one everyone least expected, my now DH . smile

Missfoodlove Thu 13-Feb-20 09:55:01

gillybob That is a lovely story. So romantic.

DoraMarr Thu 13-Feb-20 10:29:49

Present? I’m lucky to get a card!
My partner and I went to Edinburgh one year around Valentine’s Day. We stayed in a flat in a converted Georgian building. He secretly bought a card and posted in the postbox in the end of the street. In the morning the post was displayed on a table in the hall. “Goodness!” I exclaimed “there’s someone living here with the same name as me!” ??

janeainsworth Thu 13-Feb-20 10:32:14

Never had a Valentine’s present.
MrA doesn’t do that sort of thing grin

janeainsworth Thu 13-Feb-20 10:32:40

Dora grin

inishowen Thu 13-Feb-20 10:34:38

When I had just started seeing my boyfriend (now husband) I mentioned that I loved Cadburys cream eggs. For Valentine's Day he bought me a box with about 50 cream eggs. To say that I got sick of cream eggs would be an understatement!

ClaraB Thu 13-Feb-20 10:39:00

Sadly, Mr B doesn't do Valentine's Day and is not at all romantic. He has been away for three weeks working and is due back tomorrow so I've really pushed the boat out and bought us a Waitrose Valentine's meal!!

polnan Thu 13-Feb-20 10:40:48

I guess I may have had something when I was young, don`t really remember.

never been into Valentines Day,, my dh and I loved every day..

Kalu Thu 13-Feb-20 10:41:06

We will be having a candlelit dinner.......in the kitchen??

gillybob Thu 13-Feb-20 10:44:04

He was romantic back then MissFoodLove hmm

Paperbackwriter Thu 13-Feb-20 10:44:16

I have a little silver filigree heart necklace with a garnet on it (my birthstone). It was given to me by a man I love very much, about 10 years ago.

Guineagirl Thu 13-Feb-20 10:45:35

A total stranger when I was sixteen waiting for me outside my work with a massive hand picked bouquet saying he’d seen me for about a year whilst working on a building being constructed where I walked past in my dinner hour. Eighties happy days

Dee1012 Thu 13-Feb-20 10:46:45

I was 16 and utterly besotted with a very handsome young man that lived locally, he seemed totally unaware of my existence.
There was a bus stop very close to his house which I used for college and I'd regularly ensure I missed the bus so I could stand in the hope of seeing him!
It was Valentine's Day and I was standing there when I started to hear music, his door was wide open and I could hear the Andy Williams song "Can't take my eye's off you" he came out of his house and walked towards me, he smiled and handed me a card, inside was a beautiful hand made Valentine's card.
He became my first boyfriend.....I found out later that he'd felt the same about me.

jaylucy Thu 13-Feb-20 11:00:37

If things had turned out the way they should have, I'd possibly say my engagement ring.
Beyond that, my ex used to send me red roses every year with another one added each year - but that was back when he actually liked me !!!

grannytotwins Thu 13-Feb-20 11:01:07

We don’t celebrate Valentine’s Day, but my best gift was my twin grandchildren born two months early, but well.

Kartush Thu 13-Feb-20 11:02:37

Never had one

Sheilasue Thu 13-Feb-20 11:04:50

I rarely got anything when in my teens, but when I was a young working girl I got cards from some of the guys in my office never knew who they were though.
My dh doesn’t do Valentine’s Day and neither do I. Think it’s just for the young or young at heart.

JS06 Thu 13-Feb-20 11:08:54

Similar to MissFoodLove although a decade later, our son was born on 14.2.97.

BlueSapphire Thu 13-Feb-20 11:09:30

Over 20 years ago, when I was still working and DH was between jobs, he used to make me a packed lunch every day. On Valentines Day I was expecting the usual cheese sandwich, but at lunchtime had a lovely surprise when I found smoked salmon sandwiches complete with a wedge of lemon and black pepper! And a little love note! I thought that was so romantic.
Another time he took me out to dinner and presented me with a beautiful heart shaped necklace with matching earrings, so unexpected. This from the man who would take me to the jewellers before Christmas and get me to choose something because he didn't trust his own judgement.

Bluebird64 Thu 13-Feb-20 11:11:00

We don't give gifts at Valentines, just cards, but my husband always chooses one with a heartfelt message (and he's not a romantic type so I know it's important). He can be difficult and has multiple health and emotional issues which often cause arguments, and I know how much he hates this. So his cards are very special.

Lclaytonuk555 Thu 13-Feb-20 11:11:47

A proposal of marriage on the beach on holiday. He had a bottle of champagne and two glasses in his backpack. I said yes of course!

MerylStreep Thu 13-Feb-20 11:24:44

A new car completely wrapped up with a huge red ribbon bow. ?

Saddee55 Thu 13-Feb-20 11:26:30

To me there all great...we’ve been married 47 years and he’s never missed buying me a card and gift .