Gransnet forums

Relationships

Controlling husbands

(79 Posts)
Bbarb Wed 11-Mar-20 11:45:40

Is it hot wired into the male psyche that they want full control of everything? When we first married my DH tried to dictate everything I did - who I saw, what I wore, what I cooked, if I could use the car etc etc etc. It didn't last long and we settled down to the usual married compromises that most families have, but it would have taken off if I'd let it.
However, since the Covid scare he's started wanting to keep me at home - don't go to church, to lunch with your friend, and such ..... but its OK for him to go to to meetings or out for a pint ...... does he think he's superman or is it this inbuilt feeling of superiority?
Needless to say, after 50 years of marriage, it ain't gonna happen - but I wondered if anyone else was finding their OH was behaving like this?

LadyBella Sun 21-Jun-20 16:22:45

I was born in the 1950s in a small town. One woman who lived near us left her husband and it was the talk of the place. Everyone knew the husband used to beat her but the prevailing attitude then was that she should have stayed and put up with it!

Keffie12 Sun 21-Jun-20 17:46:36

My 1st husband was a control freak and abusive. I finally managed to leave him 20 years ago.

My 2nd husband was/is the total opposite and never tried any of that you say you have with your husband. Unfortunately he passed 2 years ago

Regarding your husband as you have been married for 50 plus years you must have been married late 60s, early 70s.

Times were different then and men tried to dictate the odds and were slowly finding out they couldnt

Fennel Thu 25-Jun-20 11:59:20

"Keffie wrote:
"Times were different then and men tried to dictate the odds and were slowly finding out they couldnt".
This is typical of the 50s to early 60s when we women were starting to be educated and compete with men in the workplace.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS37SNYjg8w&pbjreload=101