Gransnet forums

Relationships

Glass half empty

(33 Posts)
Gingster Sat 28-Mar-20 20:11:55

DH is a real glass empty sort of chap. Always has been. Eeyore has nothing on him. I’m glass half full and try to see the bright side of life. In recent weeks he hasn’t said one positive remark and it’s quite draining. He isn’t depressed , just gloomy. I know present conditions aren’t conducive to joy and laughter but come on . We are in the fortunate position to live in a beautiful area , large garden and wide open spaces, so he really has nothing to complain about. Also he is very antisocial so doesn’t miss friends or family. I try to tell him how lucky we are but he really thinks this is the end of the world and where’s the point in anything. Anyone else having this with their partners?

Aepgirl Sun 29-Mar-20 17:23:08

Sometimes (but only sometimes) it’s better to live on your own.

Athena Sun 29-Mar-20 19:15:49

My ma-in-law thought a good night in was listening to sad songs and crying over them. I tried the glass half full or half empty chat. She said 'When I was young we couldn't afford glasses. I had to drink from jam jars". I handed her a tissue to cry into and decided she was a lost cause. She thrived on misery.

ecci53 Sun 29-Mar-20 19:42:03

Gingster, you are describing my husband exactly. He's so negative about everything and it's been getting worse as he's got older. I don't have any idea how to stop him, he knows he's very negative and seems to revel in being gloomy. I get really fed up with him.

Gingster Sun 29-Mar-20 19:58:29

Thanks for all your comments. Its good to know how others cope with their gloomy OH. When life IS ‘normal’ , I have lots of hobbies and go to various clubs, so I suppose it’s not so noticeable . He loves his golf but hasn’t played since November as the weather Has been wet and cold and of course now he can’t play. You hit the nail on the head Saggi, no football on tv. He misses it so much. Never has a good word to say about anyone or anything. ?. Even when watching tv. Hopefully the weather will warm up and we’ll get out in the garden. Let all of us Pollyanna s keep bright and you never know it might rub off eventually . ?

Flygirl Mon 30-Mar-20 00:15:36

Ydoc.....you and I have identical husbands! He always tells me he is an "optimist" but I have yet to see it. He dislikes most people, animals and things, by his own admission - (apart from the horses that win....); he looks with disdain upon anyone who dares to be obviously enjoying themselves or being a bit loud (including me at times...). He asked my daughter to compile a music playlist, which she and I have both entitled "Music to slit your wrists by" Volumes I and II....which he plays loudly and very often....He watches re-runs of 70s police shows like Minder every afternoon and falls asleep all evening on the sofa, whilst I read or watch TV with the snoring in the background, finally stirring about 9.30 to announce he's off to bed.
Since being confined to the house, some days it's a marathon to get any kind of response or conversation out of him and it's physically and mentally draining. If any one of his (now defunct) drinking buddies phone him, however, it's a miracle! He laughs and jokes with them until the end of the call, then reverts back to type! 40 years married next month...?....
(He hasn't shaved since being confined to barracks, either...
Delightful! )?

Txquiltz Mon 30-Mar-20 06:22:41

DH spends equal time between tv, computer,or phone while any left over minutes are diatribes about hoarders, lack of medical supplies, governmental directions during this time and why I am doing my chores a certain way (his ways are vastly wiser). All in all life as usual. ??‍♀️

EmilyHarburn Mon 30-Mar-20 20:33:38

My husband is getting on with the garden which is good. He has ordered seed from Thompson and will be plating them. I have made a list of the basic stock of food etc that I like to have in the house and am finding suppliers to deliver. Local farmer delivering milk in glass bottles and eggs - I have to judge how much we need a week, Majestic delivering wine,a local restaurant supplier now delivering to the public. However butter comes as a box of 40 packets so no good but toilet rolls fine. Live yeast, flour, sugar,k macaronie, sheese, yoghurt all in reasonable sizes. Magic. Instead of congratulating me. just says he would not do it that way. I have no idea how he would do it and I am not sure I wish to know.