Gransnet forums

Relationships

DH goes off table hopping at weddings etc

(30 Posts)
Kestrel Sat 09-May-20 10:57:36

I've been married nearly 30 years and DH has always done this so no surprise each time. When we go to weddings funerals etc he leaves me on my own to table hop, 'work the room' etc. I don't know most of the people (or have only met them superficially once or sometimes twice over the years). He says this is the only opportunity he has to get to know these relatives (he makes sporadic attempts to contact them by phone etc but it doesn't really come to much). I try to make the effort and chat to whoever's around but usually they're there as couples and soon ignore me and I end up on my own at a table feeling like an idiot or sitting in the foyer pretending to look at mobile (!) My solution now is to stop going to these events except for essentials eg father-in-laws funeral when it happens. I don't have family do's to go to - so its his family events. Should I keep pushing myself to go to these things or just not put myself thru this any more? hmm

GagaJo Mon 18-May-20 11:31:06

It's all very well, those of you saying, 'Talk, circulate!' But not all of us are good at that. I'm not. I hate it and I'm bad at it even when I try. It's called social anxiety.

My bloke is VERY outgoing and loves talking to anyone. I get more and more anxious in that environment, and eventually cramp his style and stop him enjoying himself fully. It's why we compromise. Sometimes he goes alone. If it's an event where I'm expected/needed to be, I go but leave once I've had enough.

He gets his frantic social whirl and I get my own space and peace and quiet.

You can't hold everyone to the same standards.

rosenoir Mon 18-May-20 12:31:28

If you are not a sociable person then why go to events?

I doubt your husband fully enjoys his time as he knows you are unhappy and are going to complain about him being sociable.

Soozikinzi Mon 18-May-20 12:38:23

My husband always does this so much so I could have written the post ! We’ve also been married a ling time 38 years so it’s not affected our marriage! I just look for the person I know the best in the room and plonk myself on that table since I’m not really a social butterfly. It’s slightly annoying but nothing more . Really I see it as more a fault of mine that I don’t mingle more than an error on his part .

BlueBelle Mon 18-May-20 12:47:12

Some posters try to make it so black and white ‘’Don’t go then’ or ‘walk round and talk to people yourself’
I so understand Kestrel I had it for 12 years Anything we went to, from a party to a ‘do’ I would get sat down given a drink and dumped, if it was a house party I wouldnt know where he was in the rooms or garden I was very shy and self conscious and would hate it ...lif a chap came and spoke to me and he saw I was accused of flirting or cheating he would even disappear to give someone (always a female) a lift home without telling me
Anyway that wasnot the only reason he became an ex but fitted in there somewhere