Gransnet forums

Relationships

Heart sore and struggling to go forward

(28 Posts)
Skyblue2 Sun 10-May-20 10:57:10

Hi,
I have been so impressed by the kindness and support of those on this site and would appreciate a listening ear and any advice.
I was married for over 30 years to someone ten years older than myself who has suffered from serious bouts of mental illness. He was a struggling writer and I was an artist. We were very poor and I did most of the providing. We had no sexual relationship for most of that time due to his inability and avoidance although we were affectionate. I have no children because of this and the financial insecurity and also grieved that I lived so far away from mum having moved to the other end of the country to marry. My mum died just over two years ago and right afterwards I left my husband for someone else. It was a very passionate relationship and we made plans pretty quickly to have a future together. He left a dead marriage and changed his whole life to be with me. He is a good stable man and we are now living together. Last year I started to feel terrible grief and loss and although it was a difficult marriage my ex and I were very close friends. I want to be able to visit as friends and support him but this is proving impossible as my new partner wants me to move on. I am struggling greatly moving on and feel so stuck trying to start again at the age of 61.

Kestrel Tue 12-May-20 10:03:23

Skyblue 2 you may be missing the intensity of the relationship with your ex rather than your ex? The bonds created during hardships and crises are often deep but please don't continue to sacrifice your life for your ex (including this new lovely man). All best wishes for your future.

NotSpaghetti Fri 15-May-20 10:21:56

You are SO right Alexa. I am with you on the clean-slate idea!