Gransnet forums

Relationships

Racist friends

(228 Posts)
grandtanteJE65 Tue 09-Jun-20 12:36:02

I would drop them, but that is because I cannot accept that people are racist.

You have told them how shocked you are at the opinions they hold. I don't honestly see that you have any options but to drop them.

Curlywhirly Tue 09-Jun-20 12:30:22

We have friends who have completely opposite political views to us; I don't know what they think of the BLM situation as we haven't spoken to them for a couple of weeks, but I think I know what their opinion will be. I really hope it doesn't come up in conversation, and if it does I shall not be joining the discussion- I know from experience there is absolutely no point, as whatever each of us say, the other will never change their opinion. You have told your friends what you think of their comments, but I doubt that will make them alter their opinion. I love my friends in all other aspects and just have to try to ignore their far right politics and I am sure they feel the same about us.

GagaJo Tue 09-Jun-20 12:15:03

I'm struggling with this.

I have a multi ethnic family. My friends ALL know my family. Consequently, I have perhaps naively assumed my friends were all non-racist.

The current Black Lives Matter protests have shown me my ignorance. I've had a lot on and hadn't posted anything in my social media about BLM. 2 or 3 friends have clearly taken this to mean I must be anti BLM and have either posted stuff online and tagged me in it or sent stuff to me via email/private messages.

I don't really know what to do. Some of these people I have known for over 20 years and have been very close to.

I've messaged them and expressed my shock but don't know what to do now. Do I wipe out people I used to regard as close friends? In the past, I've entered into dialogue about racism/politics and am happy to debate. BUT out and out racism is never acceptable.

Help?