Gransnet forums

Relationships

Husband displaying infatuation

(56 Posts)
Introvert55 Thu 02-Jul-20 15:02:09

I'm not very good at reading people but I think after 25 years marriage, I should be able to sense when my husband seems different. Without going into detail, it would appear that he is infatuated with his therapist who is about 15 years younger than me and extremely attractive. He has given her gifts in the past, deletes his text conversations with her, and the other day I was in the car with him and he thought he'd driven past her and I've never seen him so animated - he virtually jumped out of his seat and cricked his neck to see her (despite driving down the road at the time). Turned out it wasn't her anyway.
We've always been really close and it is upsetting for me to think that she might be on his mind. Has anyone else had this experience? What do I do?

grandtanteJE65 Sun 05-Jul-20 11:52:48

You need to ask your husband outright whether he is infatuated with this woman, or not.

No health professional is allowed to have a personal relationship with a patient or client.

Most teachers and lawyers don't either.

However, you need to face the fact that if you do ask your husband what is going on, you may not like the answer. So ask yourself, are you willing to put up with adultery, if that is what is going on?

seacliff Sun 05-Jul-20 12:31:55

Surely these doubts have not just come into your mind? Have you been wondering for quite a while? You say and I believe him when he says that this is a friendship (not a love affair or a physical affair). It appears that this friendship has gotten a bit out of hand though. He has agreed not to see her anymore.

Even so, if it were me, I would want to know much more detail about the truth of what has been going on. It would fester in my mind, I would imagine all sorts, and I would have no peace. I would want to know who instigated it. If you can trust him and just put it all behind you, good for you.

I think maybe you need to have a conversation about your future relationship with him. Was it just a mid life crisis with her. Would he like to suggest some new things you and he can do together to revamp your relationship.

ValerieF Sun 05-Jul-20 21:05:55

Introvert55 has come back and said she has had a talk with her husband and he has agreed not to see this therapist again.

She also has the dilemma of whether to report her or not? Personally, I would not! Reason being it is very hard to prove if someone is out stepping the boundaries and what can be mis-understood. Not suggesting in any way the Op is wrong, it is odd but unless the OP feels that she wants to go that route of interrogation, proving facts etc I would just move on! OK so people may say, the physio acted unprofessionally but we don't actually know ALL the details and unless the OP feels she is absolutely sure and wants to drag something on for years which could be nipped in bed right now I would advise her to drop it!

Eventually IF this physio is acting unlawfully she will be brought to task, no doubt about it but not sure on the basis of what has been shared I would want to be the instigator. Up to OP, of course.

Glad you got your husband to stop seeing her Introvert55

Forestflame Tue 04-Aug-20 11:19:02

Introvert. I know very well how you feel. My Ex Husband behaved this way on more than one occasion. If I said anything I was accused of being jealous. Note, he is now my Ex.....

Jane10 Tue 04-Aug-20 14:02:48

Check her registration on the Health professions Council website. If bona fide she's required to be registered with them and to adhere to their professional standards.