Gransnet forums

Relationships

How About Some Good News?

(113 Posts)
Puzzled Thu 09-Jul-20 10:42:59

It saddens me to see so many posts on the lines of
"I don't like my husband. I can't wait to get out of this marriage, but can't afford to leave"
How many can, and will post something like
"We've been married for 50+ years. We have our own hobbies, interests and friends, but enjoy sharing activities and time, going out together.
We appreciate the small gestures like making and bringing a drink, the unexpected gift, a bar of chocolate, a shirt, jewelry, or pretty knickers. We we like to compliment each other on their appearance, dressed or otherwise.
We enjoy a hug and a cuddle. We make love to give pleasure to each other"

There must be some happy people out there, just say so!

Lioness68 Fri 10-Jul-20 16:37:00

We have also been married for 50 years. I tell him I would have been free years ago if I had murdered him instead! We are both army veterans and I was an army wife for the first 20 years of our marriage, followed by 11 years as a TA wife.
We love each other dearly and say so regularly. We do argue occasionally but I wouldn't change him for the world. Lock down hasn't been a problem because we have been retired for seven years and used to being together all the time.

Kim19 Fri 10-Jul-20 17:45:52

Happy news for me is twofold. My son had a road accident and was hospitalised. Not as bad as was first thought. That's HAPPY. More mundane (but 'happy') is the new iron I've bought is everything I hoped. Yep, I take my happiness wherever I can find it.

Billybob4491 Fri 10-Jul-20 18:32:15

Waited since February to move and hey presto it all came about this week, Hooray, now in my new home and beaming from ear to ear!

KerryS Fri 10-Jul-20 19:24:03

I'm married to a wonderful, albeit sometimes irritating, man, and I wouldn't change him for the world. He was my first boyfriend, but we split up after 2 and a half years as teenagers, and found each other again in our forties, both having been in unhappy marriages for 20 years or so. We've now been married for 20 years and we have a brilliant relationship and are very happy. He has supported me through all sorts of horrible situations including six months where we had to deal with my father, son and daughter in different hospitals in life threatening situations, though unrelated, where I lost my father and almost lost my son, now a very different lad after his accident now with life-changing disabilities, and I had to have 2 operations in that time too. And although he never buys me flowers or chocolates, he does occasionally give me little surprises like magnum ice creams cos he knows how much I love them! However, it's his unconditional love and support that means the absolute world to me. I just hope I can step up at the same level if he ever needs such support from me.

Jules59 Fri 10-Jul-20 21:24:39

Your lovely messages are wonderful to read.
I’m 61 and have been married once and divorced and recently lost my partner of 10 years. Adjusting again to life on my own but ever hopeful I’ll meet someone lovely. Just spent 4 weeks isolating with new granddaughter and grandson ... wonderful !

Peardrop50 Fri 10-Jul-20 23:16:57

Jules59 sorry to hear about your recent loss. Lovely that you remain hopeful. I hope you meet another special someone if that's what you want.
Isolation with two special little ones sounds wonderful.

Saetana Fri 10-Jul-20 23:56:44

I've been happily married to the love of my life for 31 years now - it was our wedding anniversary in June. As my husband is disabled, we spend almost all our time together and have mostly sailed through lockdown as we really enjoy each other's company. We are best friends as well as partners and I expect our relationship to continue in the same vein until "death do us part". I've never understood why people stay for years in loveless marriages.

Sussexborn Sat 11-Jul-20 00:36:41

We “courted” for 4 years and married when I was 20 in 1972. He has more or less taken over the cooking and does most of the ironing (whilst watching the motor racing or cricket).
Had to break it to him that size 10 knickers would barely cover one thigh these days so now he buys me nighties instead - under strict guidance!

OPgrndtr Sat 11-Jul-20 23:44:10

This morning my DH told me that our marriage keeps getting and better.

Maremia Sat 18-Jul-20 18:27:20

Whitewavemark2 grin grin

Maremia Sat 18-Jul-20 18:36:14

OOOps, better say it was the puppy post.

ginny Sat 18-Jul-20 19:08:37

It was my birthday last Wednesday and I had a message from my Son in Law (unofficial). He has helped Dd through some difficult times , is great with DGS and has himself been quite poorly a couple of times.. Heis a quiet chap and lost his Mum when he was just 20 year old.
The message read ‘Happy Birthday , Mum’
Can’t tell you how much that meant to me.