Gransnet forums

Relationships

Should I risk seeing my male friend

(57 Posts)
Schumee Fri 10-Jul-20 08:40:21

I met someone online and saw him twice before lockdown. Since then we have spoken every night on Skype and get on really well. He has suggested meeting up again but said he doesnt think he can see me without giving me a hug. I haven't seen anyone inside my house or touched anyone since lockdown and although I would love to see him I dont want to take any risks. Should I see him and refuse to hug or should I hold on till it is safe. I feel that he is thinking I am trying to put off seeing him.

MarieEliza Sat 11-Jul-20 10:45:23

Boundaries are really important

Theoddbird Sat 11-Jul-20 11:25:56

If he really cares he will understand. Simple really. Hope it works out for you x

sarahellenwhitney Sat 11-Jul-20 11:36:59

At least he has warned you what he would want to do so if you still decide to meet, be firm make it clear before you meet there is not to be physical contact of any kind.The best things are worth waiting for grin He should show respect for your wishes but you will only find this out by meeting up with him again.

Hetty58 Sat 11-Jul-20 11:42:40

Schumee, if he's serious about you, he'll wait. It's easier to not see people just yet, I think, then there's no temptation to take risks.

Chaitriona Sat 11-Jul-20 11:46:21

If it weren’t for coronavirus would you want to give him a hug back? It’s not a crime for two people to be sexually attracted to each other. But it’s really difficult at the moment for lots of people. My friend’s granddaughter and her boyfriend are both shielding and feel it’s too painful seeing each other if they can’t be close. My daughter is vulnerable and her partner is a care worker. They were seeing each other at other ends of the garden and it was hard, especially the first time but better than not seeing each other at all. Now when her partner has a few days leave he has tests and isolates till he gets the result and spends a day or so with her. It is still a bit of a risk as tests aren’t 100% but there is complete safety and then there is what love demands. Of course this man may be iffy like anyone you don’t know well when you start dating but you have met him twice and Skyped him every night. You must like him so far. It is really hard. It’s very awkward meeting someone and distancing. Especially when it’s someone you don’t know too well and there is a romantic possibility. Whether either of you can actually sustain or grow a relationship in this situation who knows. You risk loosing the Skype relationship which has obviously been pleasurable for you both. I think you are probably going to meet him. If it was me I would probably insist on distancing for that first meeting at least and discuss it with him beforehand. If he won’t agree to it, you probably have an answer as to whether this relationship can even start to go anywhere. Unless of course you are willing to take the risk too. Which you might decide you want to. It is your choice. But if you are reluctant and he is pressing it does bring up whether he cares enough you and about your feelings and has the potential to be serious about you. Being a doormat is never the answer. A good man who really likes you won’t be put off. A man who is, would never be any good for you anyway. Good luck.

win Sat 11-Jul-20 11:51:51

Am I reading this right? did he arrange to meet up with a friend whilst you were there? if so how inconsiderate of him, I would definitely have finished the relationship there and then. Surely you met up to be together and to get to know each other not for him to see an old friend at the same time??
He sounds to me like a no no

aonk Sat 11-Jul-20 12:13:49

Maybe you could find a cafe, restaurant or pub with outside tables and meet there? Perhaps reserve a table to be sure. Meet there on the understanding that there will be no physical contact. If you stay outdoors and in public the situation will be more comfortable for you.

Rocknroll5me Sat 11-Jul-20 12:22:37

all our safety depends on not breaking the rules even when we think they are not very logical...That was why Dominic Cummings behaviour was so shocking and has damaged peoples belief in sticking to the rules that protect us all. I am so impressed by peoples' restraint and not impressed by those that think they are exceptional. We really are nowhere out of the woods yet with this virus.
It might just have been a romantic come on...and difficult for you to reject. He is probably angling for a sexual connection and is feeling his way...best not be too ambiguous. Good luck.

Newatthis Sat 11-Jul-20 12:27:28

Only do what you're happy to do even though it may risk the relationship. If he is respectful towards you then he will understand. If he is not then I would question my future with him. There's plenty time ahead of us for hugs and kisses, for now stay safe!

Phloembundle Sat 11-Jul-20 12:31:52

If he has no self control now, heaven knows what he will be like when the relationship becomes more intimate.

GreenGran78 Sat 11-Jul-20 13:18:21

The man wrote a comment, maybe jokingly and on the spur of the moment. I don’t suppose that he expected it to be analysed and scrutinised by a bunch of grannies!
If you don’t want him to touch you, tell him so. Also make it clear that if he ignores your request that will be the end of the relationship. Arrange to meet him somewhere in public, go for a walk or have a coffee with him. You don’t know him very well yet, so take your time. Good luck.

Joesoap Sat 11-Jul-20 13:43:15

I have interpreted it as his saying it will be hard to resist giving you a hug,as much as he wants to, as it is hard for most of us resisting hugging anyone.Explain to him if he doesnt realise, he is not allowed to hug or touch anyone just now.If he likes you he will be willing to wait until it is safe.
Good luck.

Juneandarchie1 Sat 11-Jul-20 13:45:42

I don’t even hug my family let alone someone I’ve just met. Don’t let your own instincts be swayed by this man. If he genuinely likes you, he will respect your wishes

Summerfly Sat 11-Jul-20 14:36:49

I think it’s a natural thing to want to hug someone you have feelings for. He obviously cares about you and will probably respect your wishes. Listen to what your head tells you and stay safe. Hope you’ve found your Mr. right. It’s never too late! xxx

Jillybird Sat 11-Jul-20 14:48:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ExaltedWombat Sat 11-Jul-20 16:24:34

WHAT a lot of over-thinking! 'If I saw you, I might not be able to resist a hug!' isn't a warning of potential assault. It's a statement that he fancies you, and can be answered with 'Me Too! I suppose we COULD do a Cummings...' (which would be assent), with 'Me too! But you do realise we can't. Maybe we shouldn't meet until this is all over' (which makes it clear you don't assent).

I suppose 'OK, but you'll have to take me from behind, wearing full protection' would be too direct? :-)

fluttERBY123 Sat 11-Jul-20 17:16:27

"I don't think I can see you without giving you a hug!" How serious is he? Could it just be him expressing how pleased he would be to see you with no intention of actually hugging you at all?

You might reply "I know how irresistable (I have tried this with 1 r and 2 but it still has a red line under it) I am, but hands off, sir, till Boris says so!"

timetogo2016 Sat 11-Jul-20 17:19:19

I`m a little concerned but can`t put my finger on it.
You must do what`s right for you tbh.

DotMH1901 Sat 11-Jul-20 18:58:33

You are both adults, and part of being an adult is accepting that you have a responsibility not to make someone else take a risk, be that with their health or their money or something else. If he cannot be an 'adult' then I would suggest you stick to talking on line for the moment. It could all be completely innocent and he could, like many of us, be really missing the physical contact we used to have with other people - but, in these times you both need to put health concerns first - no hugging. He should be able to understand.

Yellowmellow Sat 11-Jul-20 20:07:08

Schumee you have every right to ask others their opinion on this. Why not??? I'm sure you have an idea as to what you want to do but its good to get other peoples views.

Cava Sat 11-Jul-20 21:31:11

Hubby and I had a nice trip to coast today ... git back around 5pm to find that out front bushes had been cut and dumped on our pathway. A chap we have never seen before (but apparently has lived at the top of our quiet culver sac for three weeks) Came down to say that he ‘had done us a favour’ and that they were making his children ‘walk wide’ on their way to school. I asked him who he was and why he didn’t just knock and ask us to do it and I commented that it was ‘poor form’ to do this when we were out and without asking. He became defensive and aggressive and walked off. I’m shocked. We have lived here for 15 years and this man thinks he can just move in and change the landscape to suit him!
I don’t understand why he didn’t just ask us.
By the way he did a very bad job and it looks a total mess.

Cava Sat 11-Jul-20 21:33:52

Does anybody know if this is legal?

Cava Sat 11-Jul-20 21:35:16

Sorry I seem to have crashed this post... didn’t mean to not sure how that happened ?

Skweek1 Sat 11-Jul-20 21:35:49

DS has been seeing a young lady for coming up to 2 years, but she's always very unsure of the physical side - they are best friends, and she is a "hugger" - they are both happy to see how it goes, but they have missed seeing one another most days and they have really felt sad that they haven't been able to be together over the last few months. So play it by ear and see how things go, but don't feel forced into anything. Enjoy your time together.

Lazypaws Sat 11-Jul-20 23:19:29

I'm sure given the situation, he would (or he should) understand your reticence in hugging. It's hard for most of us in relationships that don't live together; your automatic reaction is to hug the person you haven't seen for a while. So rather than not seeing him and probably being miserable I would just say that as we should be following government guidelines, we won't hug this time around. Maybe in a few weeks - give you both something to look forward to.