Gransnet forums

Relationships

Should I risk seeing my male friend

(57 Posts)
Schumee Fri 10-Jul-20 08:40:21

I met someone online and saw him twice before lockdown. Since then we have spoken every night on Skype and get on really well. He has suggested meeting up again but said he doesnt think he can see me without giving me a hug. I haven't seen anyone inside my house or touched anyone since lockdown and although I would love to see him I dont want to take any risks. Should I see him and refuse to hug or should I hold on till it is safe. I feel that he is thinking I am trying to put off seeing him.

Esspee Sat 11-Jul-20 23:41:17

I would take his comment about wanting to give you a hug as a compliment.

moonbeames Sun 12-Jul-20 06:40:33

Awww. I think its his way of saying he likes you. As you said meet up outside somewhere and do the elbow greet right off the bat, he will get the message and will probably laugh about it, good luck.

Thecatshatontgemat Sun 12-Jul-20 06:46:14

Watch out, watch out, there's a virus about......
I am not even hugging my friends yet. I would certainly NOT hug a stranger....

Nitpick48 Mon 13-Jul-20 12:51:49

The problem is, you don’t know where he’s been! For all you know he’s one of those people who think the whole covid rules don’t apply to them and has been out with his mates, he could even be what they call a super spreader who shows no symptoms, or he might be just a very nice guy. I’m afraid all the usual rules about dating have been thrown out of the window, and you can’t get to know someone on Skype and a couple of dates, so you don’t REALLY know this person at all. And to say he might not be able to resist giving you a hug is a bit of a red flag. Make it plain you’re not going to hug and stay your distance. If he really likes you, he will respect your boundaries and be willing to wait.

Seajaye Wed 15-Jul-20 06:10:24

If you are both living on your own and neither of you are having contact with anyone else and are observing the guidelines then you are allowed to meet up outdoors if you want. You do need to make it clear whether
his suggestion of hugging is acceptable. As long as you are both following the guidelines an outdoor meet up is low risk. It sounds like you are keen to develop the relationship, so I would meet up in a park for a walk, but keep my distance until you are sure about the risks. The virus is going to be here for a long while, and you could be in for a lonely time ahead if you are not seeing anyone at all.

Shropshirelass Sat 18-Jul-20 09:41:42

I wouldn't meet up, he should respect you and the guidelines. Sounds too intense to me. Tread carefully and on your terms.