Gransnet forums

Relationships

Separate bedrooms

(129 Posts)
Foxgloveandroses Fri 14-Aug-20 00:16:52

A couple of months ago my husband and I decided enough was enough, we came to the conclusion we needed separate bedrooms.
We are just not compatible at night, I snore (apparently) and keep him awake. I get too hot he gets too cold, I like silence he likes to listen to the radio as he drifts of to sleep or read his iPad and that light annoys me.
We were never touchy feely anyway and for the last year my husband has had disturbed sleep having to get up in the night and move to the spare room next door. So we thought, why are we bothering in the first place! So now we go to our own rooms and meet up occasionally if the moment takes us.
Does anyone else have a similar set up?

Gingergirl Fri 14-Aug-20 10:03:40

Separate rooms but not if we have family to stay or if we’re away somewhere.

TerriBull Fri 14-Aug-20 10:05:34

We don't have separate rooms, we could have, I toss and turn quite often and under normal circumstances am quite hot, (not in a good way) Don't suppose the Pussycat Dolls had the menopause in mind when they recorded "Don't you wish your girlfriend was hot like me" song. grin Of late have had to have the fan on all night, my husband has been known to come round my side of the bed and switch it off on one of his trips to the bathroom, usually early hours of the morning, but even he admitted that has needed it on during the heatwave hmm Since the menopause I haven't slept well, I wouldn't want to share a bed with me, but it seems my husband still does shock I understand the need for separate rooms, particularly for all the reasons given here.

Cp43 Fri 14-Aug-20 10:05:43

Yes definitely. My hubby snores like a train, all those years we shared a room and I was going to work each day absolutely exhausted. Since moving to a bigger place a few years ago I hadn’t realised how wonderful it is having your own room. The bugger is when we go away we have to share room so I ask for twin beds which helps a little bit. Some people aren’t so fortunate so I count my blessings.

Jess20 Fri 14-Aug-20 10:07:01

Yes, sadly, it's called the 'snoring room'

Cp43 Fri 14-Aug-20 10:07:07

Yes definitely. My hubby snores like a train, all those years we shared a room and I was going to work each day absolutely exhausted. Since moving to a bigger place a few years ago I hadn’t realised how wonderful it is having your own room. The bugger is when we go away we have to share room so I ask for twin beds which helps a little bit. Some people aren’t so fortunate so I count my blessings.

Razzy Fri 14-Aug-20 10:07:19

Separate rooms all the way! My OH is a nightmare, he snores so loudly you can actually here him if stood outside, he is fidgety, always up in the night on his gadgets or watching TV, he gets up lots in the night, always wants the room freezing and takes up the whole bed. I work shifts, and need my sleep! I like a quiet cool bedroom. He was also complaining about wherever I put clothes, or pictures, so I told him I was going to have my own room instead! So much nicer!

Willow500 Fri 14-Aug-20 10:09:26

We've had separate rooms for years - initially as he snored but then was diagnosed with sleep apnea so although the snoring has stopped the machine blows air, is noisy and generally disturbs him quite a bit so it just makes sense. Now it's the cat who snores and disturbs me grin

ExD Fri 14-Aug-20 10:10:33

DH snores, sweats, tosses and turns, goes to bed late - so we sleep apart. Don't see a problem.

Lancslass1 Fri 14-Aug-20 10:13:41

I'm delighted to hear that others are like me.
I am happy in the spare room as the cats don't disturb me.
I have a little radio and when I wake up (usually around 6:15 ish ) I listen to the Today Programme and at about 7:00am I join DH and we have an early morning cuppa in bed.
Perfect

Witzend Fri 14-Aug-20 10:15:38

Must say I look back with fond nostalgia to the long-ago days when dh and I could share a single bed and still sleep like logs all night.

Nowadays, however fond I am of the people in question, I positively dread having to share an ordinary double bed in someone else’s house.
As for being cooped up in a hotel room, with nowhere to ‘escape’ to, unless it’s for just one night.....

Thecatshatontgemat Fri 14-Aug-20 10:16:04

Separate rooms are extremely sensible.
When your partner is roaring away like a steam train, sometimes you simply have to..... ?

Lolly69 Fri 14-Aug-20 10:17:49

Absolutely separate rooms - it’s your own special place. Never could understand why space was needed throughout the day yet at night 2 of you squash into a 6ft space. Can’t stand having other people breathe on me, or touching me with their feet (uck). Mind you I am very protective of my personal space anyway. My adored late husband worked shifts and this really worked for us.

annecordelia Fri 14-Aug-20 10:18:16

We often do. My husband's snoring is unbearable and I'm having trouble sleeping during the menopause. I find I get angry and am then upset all day. I know my husband misses cuddles at night and I do feel guilty. Our sex-life is fine; that's not the issue.

scrapgran Fri 14-Aug-20 10:23:56

We started sleeping separately about 6 years ago when I was having chemo. I love it because hubby likes to go to bed later than me so it suits us both

jaylucy Fri 14-Aug-20 10:24:55

Why not? At least it's worth a try.

Fronkydonky Fri 14-Aug-20 10:26:18

Been sleeping in separate bedrooms on separate floors for 16 years now. My husband doesn’t sleep well and has complained for years of my snoring ( even though he snores himself). It works for us. Some people are embarrassed to admit they don’t share a bed, who cares as long as it’s right for you?

LadyJus Fri 14-Aug-20 10:37:04

We've had separate rooms for the past 5 years due to himself working nights and me liking to read. My grandson was so surprised to see us in a bed together one day he even told his mummy "Grumps was in Nannys bed"!!

Alioop Fri 14-Aug-20 10:40:32

My ex snored like a bull. He actually needed an op in his nasal passages to help with his breathing but was too scared to have it done!! Only thing for it was separate beds cos I wasn't getting any sleep whatsoever. Having a bed to spread out, no arm whacking you in the night as he rolled over plus the thundering snoring silenced, it was heaven.

Patticake123 Fri 14-Aug-20 10:41:03

Davidhs made me laugh. When our daughter was at infant school we were horrified to go in on parents evening to see a large drawing she had done titled ‘My Mummy and Daddy seep (sic) together again ‘. My husband had been away at university, completed his degree and come back home! We eventually laughed about it ?

Joesoap Fri 14-Aug-20 10:43:44

Lucky everyone who have seperate bedroms,we are as many other couples, one likes a cool bedroom the other warm, light on light off syndrome.I often go into the spare bedroom if I cant sleep, so then I dont disturb my husband,this is not appreciated by Husband, he sees it somehow as an insult, the only way I can describe it.He opened the spare room door one morning and shouted " why are you sleeping there go back to bed" so like a child I crept into bed, shocked at being woken like that.One night he didn see me in bed,I must have been well covered by the duvet, he went into the spare rom shouting " why are you in here" when I wasnt he then wandered around the bungalow looking for me, when he came back to bed,I asked what he was doing, to me that really is a control freak.We arent cuddly any more, so what he needs me in bed for I cant understand, apart from having control over me! sad isnt it.

Gwenisgreat1 Fri 14-Aug-20 10:44:31

Absolutely! We have been in separate rooms for about 10 years, I had a very bad cough which just went on and on and was very disruptive. (Turned out to be TB). I now don't cough so much, DH refuses to believe he snores, but he is a very noisy breather. So a bedroom each will continue.

Purpledreamer Fri 14-Aug-20 10:45:37

My husband and I have had separate bedrooms for years now. Originally it was just a week or so when one of us was getting over an operation, but we realised we slept better when we were apart. At a time when you're comfortable and secure in your relationship I think it makes absolute sense. You can still get the goodnight kiss - or more, if the spirit moves - and then spend the remainder of the night sleeping, reading, watching TV, without disturbing your partner.

TrendyNannie6 Fri 14-Aug-20 10:45:55

We don’t have separate beds, could never imagine us sleeping apart, but I certainly don’t see a problem if others sleep separately if they get a better nights sleep

G00denough Fri 14-Aug-20 10:46:04

Absolutely! Our relationship improved immeasurably when I wasn't spending 8 hours in every 24 trying to remember that murdering a snoring husband was a crime.

Nitpick48 Fri 14-Aug-20 10:48:01

Separate bedrooms officially now - if it’s good enough for her Maj it’s good enough for me!!! We both love the freedom . When we go away we always do Airbnb with 2 bedrooms rather than a hotel.