Gransnet forums

Relationships

Pandemic could damage friendships

(40 Posts)
Calendargirl Thu 27-Aug-20 18:25:41

BrandyGran

Yes it sounds so simple-just pick up the phone but I don't understand why she can't just text me . I have taken the inititive so many times I dont feel like doing it again.Maybe I am being unfriended!

Being harsh, but yes, perhaps your friend was looking for an excuse to cool off the friendship, and lockdown has been the trigger. She could easily text you if she wanted to, and if you have taken the initiative so many times.....

Patsy70 Thu 27-Aug-20 18:20:00

BrandyGran if you are fond of this friend and enjoy her company just phone her and arrange to meet up. You might even ask her why she never takes the initiative, and tell her you feel hurt that she doesn't. Life is too short to allow pride to get in the way.

annep1 Thu 27-Aug-20 18:18:55

I too feel some friendships won't survive. I've tried with some but response is lukewarm. We went to art group together and had lunch and chat after. I really enjoyed meeting up.
Perhaps we dont really have anything in common apart from art. I don't think art group will be the same after. ?

Smileless2012 Thu 27-Aug-20 17:58:29

I've known my dearest friend for more than 30 years and during that time for several years after she'd moved away, we had no contact due to family problems she was having.

I had no idea what was going on so as far I was concerned she'd just dropped me. One day she 'phoned and I told her how hurt and angry I was at the way she'd treated me. She asked if she could come and see me and I agreed.

I can still remember what it was like when she walked into our home and we threw our arms around one another. It was wonderful and those years of no contact and all the hurt and anger just disappeared.

We are just as close as we ever were; she's the sister I never hadsmile.

annsixty Thu 27-Aug-20 17:50:28

Another side to this .
My friend will not be seeing much at all of one of her friends because she objects so much to this person making up her own rules as to lockdown, she says she will make up her own mind as to who she sees and what she does.
She has been ferrying people around all the time.
I don't think the friendship will survive, certainly not as close as it has been.

Marydoll Thu 27-Aug-20 17:19:56

Suedonim, we had an outbreak of nits when I was teaching and my friend and colleague had to check my hair, as I was sure I had them! ? She was indeed a true friend.

We haven't seen each other since March, as I was shielding, but we still message each other frequently.
However, another friend has cut me off, as I apparently didn't reply to a text, which I hadn't seen. sad

SueDonim Thu 27-Aug-20 17:14:27

In that case, she doesn’t really sound like a friend, Brandygran so why bother?

Grumppa I draw the line at picking the nits out of my friends’ hair! grin

grumppa Thu 27-Aug-20 17:05:20

I don't think we're as like chimpanzees as the Professor thinks. A friend who had not been in touch with me for years contacted me during lockdown, and we just carried on where we had left off

BrandyGran Thu 27-Aug-20 17:01:21

Yes it sounds so simple-just pick up the phone but I don't understand why she can't just text me . I have taken the inititive so many times I dont feel like doing it again.Maybe I am being unfriended!

SueDonim Thu 27-Aug-20 16:35:41

I’ve read an article on that topic and I don’t agree with it. I have friends going back decades who I rarely see due to geographical constraints but we just pick up where we left off when we do meet.

Other people who I meet now and then, I don’t consider so much as friends as acquaintances.

maddyone Thu 27-Aug-20 16:32:49

Get in touch. If you value the friendship you must make contact, otherwise your friend will think you’re not interested, as presumably you are thinking about her. Don’t let pride influence the outcome.

Lucca Thu 27-Aug-20 16:31:22

I think friendships will pick up again if the pandemic ever ends ! I don’t understand why you are too proud? If you Like the person then contact them, if not, don’t bother !

seacliff Thu 27-Aug-20 16:30:20

Why not suggest meeting up now? Outside, safely? 10 years is a long time to give up on, without having a try.

Callistemon Thu 27-Aug-20 16:27:32

Swallow your pride and pick up the phone

BrandyGran Thu 27-Aug-20 16:19:03

In today's paper I read that unless we can meet up physically a friendship can slide into "someone I once knew ". I can see that happening to a friendship of 10 yrs - we met almost monthly and now the texts have dried up. I'm too proud to make the first move yet again. Anyone in the same position?