Gransnet forums

Relationships

Cutting the apron strings

(31 Posts)
janeainsworth Mon 07-Sep-20 08:40:17

Aquafish Does anyone else feel an unhealthy anxiety about cutting the apron strings once & for all to let your middle-aged offspring lead their own lives without your influence?
Anxiety about adult DC is normal, unless it’s debilitating and overtaking one’s own life.

But trying to influence their lives isn’t healthy, in my view.
I try to support my DC as much as I can, but their decisions are theirs, not mine.
Yes it is hard when DC and DGC live abroad. FaceTime etc are a poor substitute for proper regular contact, though better than nothing.
One thing I do recommend, if your GDC are old enough, are proper, old-fashioned letters. These seem to forge a closer relationship than text messages and the children love them. And there’s nothing like getting a reply!
I hope things work out for you.

trustgone4sure Mon 07-Sep-20 08:23:12

You will stil be their mother no matter how far away they are.
They love you and more than likely feel the same .
Thats life.

Calendargirl Mon 07-Sep-20 08:20:00

My DD lives in Australia, I often wish I could help her more and just be there for mum and daughter chats, but I can’t.

It’s life.

silverlining48 Mon 07-Sep-20 08:16:32

It’s hard and I understand as one of my two lives abroad so visits are few and far between given their work commitment etc.
Difficult times at present but once life returns to a semblance of normal your activities will pick up and yes you can visit, but when our children move to another country it isn’t easy but you will ( have) to get used to it.
I spent the first 8 years hoping she would come back. She hasn’t, it’s their life and we have to let them go. Keep busy, it helps.

Marydoll Mon 07-Sep-20 08:05:12

This may sound harsh, but I'm afraid, that they are adults now and as much as it hurts, you have to let them go.
It's natural to worry, but you won't always be here, so let them develop their own lives, independent of you.
There is nothing to stop you visiting them.

aquafish Mon 07-Sep-20 07:51:59

I’m putting this out there to test the waters over separation anxiety with your own adult children. Does anyone else feel an unhealthy anxiety about cutting the apron strings once & for all to let your middle-aged offspring lead their own lives without your influence? Im currently feeling very insecure at the prospect of DD & DGC making a permanent move to France to live close to the French inlaws. Also DS currently 250 miles away moving further South to a less accessible countryside area. I feel like they are both escaping me despite having good close relationships with both. I know I should fight the feelings of loss but Im just overwhelmed with it & can’t see a future role for myself in the family. Im normally a busy person volunteering & gym groups etc but all gone due to Covid. Any advice welcome please.