Gransnet forums

Relationships

Retirement Stresses

(40 Posts)
Rubicon12 Sat 24-Oct-20 10:50:54

Hi Gransnetters, I hope you don't mind a post from a male but I don't know of a male-oriented site offering similar assistance.
We are a couple in our early 60's with no children. My issue is possibly the reverse of what I have commonly read about retirement relationships in that I am not a couch potato type of guy but believe in remaining active and exploring new leisure and other opportunities whereas my female partner of 17 years seems to want to spend most of her time indoors doing very little. Early in our relationship, she was pretty adventurous but seems to have lost a lot of this . Also, she quit a decently paid full time job about 12 years ago to pursue self employment with limited success where she seemed to enjoy working generally quite limited hours and thus earning fairly poor money. Not surprisingly, now in her early 60's, she has a limited workplace pension but limited savings. On the other hand, I have always had a strong work ethic which allowed me to get to a good enough financial position to be able to quit work at 59. I thus now find myself with the means to do lots of things, especially ( pre Covid ) travel which I am passionate about. In the last 4 years, my partner has been happy for me to take independent breaks and I appreciate this but also feel its such a shame that she is unwilling / unable to partake also.
I hate to admit it but can't help feeling that we have started to drift apart. I would really appreciate a female perspective from the point of view of ;
1. Is there a way I can better approach this with her as so far all discussions have led to disagreement and argument ?
2. Can a relationship work where there are such differing views on how to spend later life ?
Many Thanks

Harris27 Wed 28-Oct-20 08:50:34

Me too ocean mama we’ve been married 43 years I raised the kids practically alone when he was making his way up the career ladder and now working full time when his career took a downturn. In the end it will be what we have both achieved with joint efforts. Never been his or hers.

DiscoDancer1975 Wed 28-Oct-20 12:04:10

I haven’t read other replies, but my first thought is menopause. The list of possible symptoms is exhaustive. It seems a shame you talk as if you’re separate people. Even if you’re not actually married, to all intents and purposes, you are. She may sense this and feel undermined, particularly if she IS menopausal. You need to talk I think, it’s the only way.

genie10 Wed 28-Oct-20 12:35:29

I don't find it odd that people who partner up later in life keep separate finances. Presumably OP.s wife did not spend many years raising their family together as they were past that stage of life.

Seems he may just have to do things with other friends or alone as his partner appears to lack motivation to join him, and perhaps contribute toward the cost sometimes if she does occasionally want to join him. It may be worth trying to discover some joint interest that they can enjoy though or the relationship would seem empty.

Davidhs Wed 28-Oct-20 13:03:42

It is odd you have separate finances after 17 yrs, even if you don’t want to marry you still should have comparable finances in day to day terms if not property. Maybe she is just a home bird and is happy doing that, in which case you should adapt and spend as much time close to home as possible. Or days out together, taking only a couple of indepedant holidays in a year.

All you can do is ask her if she would like to go anywhere with you, or suggest places she might like.

As long as you are both happy separate holidays are OK, more usually it’s the woman who is more adventurous in later life, leaving hubby at home with his pipe and slippers

OceanMama Thu 29-Oct-20 21:07:56

I think what bugs me about the first post is the equating of financial means with a work ethic. Not all jobs pay the same, not everyone has the same capabilities, not everyone has the same good fortune in life to not have to worry about responsibilities other than work.

Maybe she just has different values? Personally, I have no intention of slogging away during my more young and able years to put money aside for some future day decades in the future. I want to live life then but I also want to live a full life now. I try to find a balance between thinking of the future and living in the now. I've seen too many people make retirement plans only to have one of the spouses pass away right after retirement, so they never achieved their goal. Who is to say I will live a long retirement? Or that my health will enable me to do what I can do in my younger years? I'm going to meet some goals now. This is my preferred value, to have balance and live now too.

As it is, life has not left me unencumbered enough to work much, but any employer I have had will tell you I have a top notch work ethic.

Redhead56 Fri 06-Nov-20 12:59:07

Retirement can be difficult even for the most closest of partners. Get real there will be no travel allowed really for some time to come. That will save you money so it can go into a holiday account. If it's a partnership does matter who pays really? There must be something you both have in common so build on it. Live each day as it comes and compromise this year has been difficult for everyone.

Corryanna Sun 22-Nov-20 20:47:08

My husband of 38 years (we retired 3 years ago too) has always done the finances, with my contribution considerably less as I didn’t have career progression opportunities as he did -however, I had similar hours after children were at school full time. We sound exactly like OP and partner except he accuses me of being lazy (unless I’m knitting or doing housework)
He does go mountaineering which I don’t, so it’s possible to
do different activities without falling out. Before lockdown we could go to cinema, visit family, go out for a meal. Now we go to Tesco together and the occasional walk but it can’t be helped, as Redhead says, it’s hard time for us all. Rubicorn, have a frank discussion with her and with love and respect for each other, you’ll cope.

Puzzled Mon 30-Nov-20 16:43:10

Retirement is different from what you have each been used to doing.
On a retirement course, we were told "You are about to start the longest holiday of your life"
It requires a change of outlook. Some people never accept that they are no longer a power in the land, and make themselves unpopular.
Fewer deadlines will feature in both your lives.
There are interests that you will enjoy, there are activities that he will enjoy. They may not be the same. But there will be things that you can both do together; some will give more pleasure to one than the other but they will still be shared activities that you both enjoy together.
Now that you are both away from the pressures of daily work, you can relax. Instead of dashing for the 07:10 train, read the paper and have a coffee before deadheading the roses! A crossword will maintain mental agility if such stimulation is felt to be needed. (Never ever thought that I would be trying to do one each day")
Jigsaws can be relaxing, and frustrating.
But whatever floats your boat(s)

jifncif Wed 02-Dec-20 18:45:43

It seems like you are "missing her". All of a sudden you have huge chunks of time and as you were well prepared for the end of your working life your partner wasn't. No children well as you can see from this site children even tho grown up and have families of their own still take up a lot of time. So what to do... any chance of her going to work again ? any chance of her starting up something of her own ? however small it would still be hers. You are 2 individuals who happen to be sharing a home and life, but still individuals, any chance of her taking up studies or interests by herself, ? shes feeling lost my dear and that's an awful empty feeling, its like saying " now what happens"and that's a bit scary for some people.

Readerjb Wed 23-Dec-20 04:40:48

Each person in the partnership needs to have some agency. - some freedom to choose how they’ll spend their time and effort, as well as money. Maybe take her out for dinner and calmly raise your concerns. There may be a back story you’re not aware of

nadateturbe Wed 23-Dec-20 05:49:52

Perhaps your partner just ran out of the incentive to keep slogging away each day and needed to slow down a bit. We all have different approaches to life. Surely you discussed her leaving her job at the time?
I get that she may be unwilling to go on holidays but why is she unable? Because she can't afford it? I don't get much sense of "we" in your post.

I am in a second relationship and we have separate finances. However if I did not have money to go on holiday he would most definitely pay. I think couples are actually meant to care and share.

CanadianGran Wed 23-Dec-20 06:25:29

I'm curious if she is 'unwilling/unable' just because of her finances, or because she just doesn't have the travel passion that you do?

As others have said, communication is key. At age 60 you have many years ahead of you, so you need to prioritize what you hope to accomplish. What you see as her doing very little maybe her vision of enjoying small pleasures. But there will be trouble ahead if either one of you is unsatisfied with the way things are going.

I know of another couple, about the same age and together about the same amount of time, both still working but with differing views about retirement. They are also struggling with coming to terms with each other's ideals, and really need to have a summit meeting with a set agenda and hash things out towards a common resolution.

Perhaps by setting up such a meeting at a set time (in a month or two) will give you both time to set goals, come to the table with budgets and goals so a good discussion can be had without heated feelings.

Lucca Wed 23-Dec-20 07:28:03

DiscoDancer1975

I haven’t read other replies, but my first thought is menopause. The list of possible symptoms is exhaustive. It seems a shame you talk as if you’re separate people. Even if you’re not actually married, to all intents and purposes, you are. She may sense this and feel undermined, particularly if she IS menopausal. You need to talk I think, it’s the only way.

Did you read the OP though ? Menopausal in her sixties?

trueblue22 Wed 23-Dec-20 08:20:54

My late DH and I had a similar problem after we retired.

He was happy to potter about and wanted me around, whereas I became very involved in politics and other voluntary organisations. I had worked for my DH for years and the children were now off my hands, so I wanted to live my life.

The upshot was that we nearly separated over this but decided to see a couples counsellor. After a few sessions opening up to each other, we decided that we spend one day a week doing what he wanted. He also paid for me to accompany him on one occasion travelling to countries he always wanted to visit.

What I suggest here is that you communicate your wishes and find a compromise that works for both of you. You should be able to travel if you want and if your partner isn't willing to join you, than that's her choice. I suppose you could offer to pay for her, if she wants to join you.

Many relationships come under strain, or break up, after retirement because it highlights frissons in the relationship. Couples look ahead and ask themselves if they want to spend the next 30 years or so together!