Gransnet forums

Relationships

Retirement Stresses

(39 Posts)
Chloejo Sun 25-Oct-20 00:28:31

Pm sent

OceanMama Sat 24-Oct-20 23:17:42

It could be that, for whatever reason, her health and energy aren't what they used to be and she just doesn't feel she has the energy for high activity adventures. Or maybe she is reluctant to leave her commitments here? Such as aging parents, friends, community groups she belongs to?

Your retiring is a big transition for her as well. Her own routine has changed and been disrupted and maybe she's not thrilled about it?

Maybe she's worried about money and spending it all on adventures?

Ultimately, only she knows how she is feeling, so communication is key. Maybe you can then find some middle ground together? Have you ever discussed what you both want/need from retirement?

Cabbie21 Sat 24-Oct-20 23:10:10

Given that currently opportunities for travel are very limited, how are you occupying your time? Do you have interests in common?
Could you use the present situation to develop things you enjoy doing together, and also open up discussion on what you each look forward to doing in the future, once restrictions are lifted? See what common ground there is?

Tangerine Sat 24-Oct-20 22:41:34

You seem, from your post, to have separate finances. Perhaps your wife feels she can't afford to join in with the things you do or doesn't want to use "your" money.

Communication is the key.

Do you object to sharing your money?

If I have misunderstood, I apologise.

M0nica Sat 24-Oct-20 22:30:52

Yes, but... the OP has said he has tried to discuss this Is there a way I can better approach this with her as so far all discussions have led to disagreement and argument ?

I agree a discussion could be based in asking her what she would like your retirement future to be. I know from experience how easily discussions soon become confrontational with each accusing each other. When you talk do not attribute any thoughts or motivations to your partner, say really nice things to her as part of the conversation.

Here is a link to the Relate site and their recommendations for conversations. www.relate.org.uk/relationship-help/help-relationships/communication/5-communication-tips-try-your-partner .

Consider having some joint counselling with Relate. many people have found mediated counselling very helpful.

Urmstongran Sat 24-Oct-20 20:08:45

I don’t think she’s menopausal at over 60y!

crazyH Sat 24-Oct-20 17:50:17

If it's just money that's preventing her from joining you on your trips, surely, you can pay for her . What's happened to share and share alike? She is your partner/almost wife, so what's the problem?
But as someone upthread said, she's probably menopausal. Ask her to see her doctor. Good luck!

Oopsadaisy4 Sat 24-Oct-20 17:41:43

You say that you are passionate about Travel, maybe your partner isn’t. Maybe she would rather do other things ? We don’t all want to be dragged around the world with our other half. Especially if money (for her) is an issue.

Antonia Sat 24-Oct-20 16:43:15

The issue seems to be divided between your separate finances and different outlook on what to do with your retirement. If you are totally independent from each other financially, your partner won't have the means to join you on your travels. So, you either continue travelling on your own or you pay for her to go with you. If you offered, do you think she would want to?
She sounds as if she may be suffering from depression, if all she wants to do is stay indoors all the time.
You both need to talk about your future together, and what each of you wants.

Luckygirl Sat 24-Oct-20 16:08:25

Retirement with different interests and activities are fine. Our retirement was like that as OH not well enough to join in much; but I got used to doing stuff on my own.

sodapop Sat 24-Oct-20 15:57:13

I agree with Urmstongran communication is key. You say you are a couple but it doesn't seem like that with the way your finances are organised. Retirement is such a big step but so many people don't discuss what they want from it and have mismatched expectations.
Talk honestly to each other, retirement can be a very enjoyable phase of your life.

Urmstongran Sat 24-Oct-20 11:07:17

Communication was key here. Sounds like you didn’t plan ahead together to me. What were your aspirations, what disposable incomes you had etc. Maybe your partner assumed (wrongly) that you would pay for her and take her with you? Who knows.

Now you are both where you are. You need to talk. What is important and what is not? What are your priorities going forward?

If you house share could you downsize to fund a joint retirement lifestyle? Does your partner even want that?

Time to sit and talk before either of you becomes more resentful or unhappy.

Good luck.

dragonfly46 Sat 24-Oct-20 10:56:05

Have you considered that your partner maybe depressed or suffering symptoms of the menopause? Have you tried asking her why she is so unwilling to go places and try new things? There maybe a good reason which she herself is unaware of. Possibly you could try counselling and maybe find out if you really are very different or if there is a simple reason for her reluctance.

Rubicon12 Sat 24-Oct-20 10:50:54

Hi Gransnetters, I hope you don't mind a post from a male but I don't know of a male-oriented site offering similar assistance.
We are a couple in our early 60's with no children. My issue is possibly the reverse of what I have commonly read about retirement relationships in that I am not a couch potato type of guy but believe in remaining active and exploring new leisure and other opportunities whereas my female partner of 17 years seems to want to spend most of her time indoors doing very little. Early in our relationship, she was pretty adventurous but seems to have lost a lot of this . Also, she quit a decently paid full time job about 12 years ago to pursue self employment with limited success where she seemed to enjoy working generally quite limited hours and thus earning fairly poor money. Not surprisingly, now in her early 60's, she has a limited workplace pension but limited savings. On the other hand, I have always had a strong work ethic which allowed me to get to a good enough financial position to be able to quit work at 59. I thus now find myself with the means to do lots of things, especially ( pre Covid ) travel which I am passionate about. In the last 4 years, my partner has been happy for me to take independent breaks and I appreciate this but also feel its such a shame that she is unwilling / unable to partake also.
I hate to admit it but can't help feeling that we have started to drift apart. I would really appreciate a female perspective from the point of view of ;
1. Is there a way I can better approach this with her as so far all discussions have led to disagreement and argument ?
2. Can a relationship work where there are such differing views on how to spend later life ?
Many Thanks