Gransnet forums

Relationships

Christmas present

(66 Posts)
Kaylamai06 Wed 09-Dec-20 19:44:52

My step daughter bought my partner (who is her father), a new watch for Christmas. It is by the same designer as the one I got him a couple of years ago. I’m upset. Am I overreacting?

Lucca Wed 09-Dec-20 19:48:11

You need to ask?

OceanMama Wed 09-Dec-20 19:52:51

I'm sure it was an accident. Maybe he can exchange it or enjoy having a back up?

aggie Wed 09-Dec-20 19:54:52

Why has he got it already ? Surely she should have kept it for Christmas ?

crazyH Wed 09-Dec-20 19:57:59

She probably thought he needed a new watch. How many years ago did you buy him the watch? Perhaps she thought he needed an upgrade, or another model. Perhaps he likes watches. Just this morning my friend was complaining about her son who has bought himself another watch.
If you have a fairly good relationship with your step-daughter, keep it that way. Yes, you are overreacting .....

M0nica Wed 09-Dec-20 19:58:55

I could not tell you what I gave DH for Christmas last year and certainly would not expect either of our children to remember, still less for them to remember what I gave him may be 5 years ago.

As far as I am concerned any reaction to this event other than a shrug is an over reaction.

Riverwalk Wed 09-Dec-20 20:38:09

hmm

JackyB Wed 09-Dec-20 20:42:55

I would normally agree that it's difficult to remember past presents, but in the case of a watch he presumably wears it daily and she sees it every day and therefore is constantly reminded of it.

His daughter presumably has noticed it too, so it is rather an odd choice of gift. Are there any other similar incidents that have made you feel this way? Is this the last straw or a one-off event?

Coolgran65 Wed 09-Dec-20 20:49:45

It looks to me like an over reaction. None of our AC would have a clue what I got DH for Christmas any year.
Unless there is more of a back story that would cause the OP to feel aggrieved..

Hithere Wed 09-Dec-20 20:57:09

I less there is further background, sounds like an overreaction

Hithere Wed 09-Dec-20 20:57:20

Unless, sorry

cornishpatsy Wed 09-Dec-20 21:13:55

Many people like to have more than one watch and like a particular designer.

Maybe he has said to his daughter how much he likes the watch you bought him so has bought a different design from the same designer.

Lucretzia Wed 09-Dec-20 21:27:09

It doesn't matter

Spice101 Wed 09-Dec-20 21:32:39

Yes you are overreacting. Why does it matter?

BlueBelle Wed 09-Dec-20 21:47:42

Well Kaylam did only buy it for her husband two years ago so it is a bit disappointing for her I suppose it depends whether the daughter knew you had bought it two years previous or does she live away and not see so much of her Dad wearing it if that’s the case it maybe proves you both know him and his tastes well
A shame she didn’t ask you what he needed or wanted but not much you can do now and no point in spoiling relationships or Christmas. It might be a bit embarrassing for him when he gets it though

Spice101 Wed 09-Dec-20 22:03:47

The watch is by the same designer but is it the same design. There are times when I wish I had two of a watch that I particularly liked.

Luckygirl Wed 09-Dec-20 22:24:01

Oh dear - I find all this palaver about Christmas presents slightly crazy. There is this sense of competition and taking offense that seems to happen in some families and I just do not get it at all.

I am sure there are more important things to get upset about at the moment. And whatever happened to Christmas spirit?

Kaylamai06 Wed 09-Dec-20 22:25:21

The backstory is that she lives miles away so doesn’t see him much especially since that area has been in lockdown for months. When I bought the watch for him he told me how grateful he was because he was always the one working hard and spending on his family. Also, she had sent another cheaper present for him in the same parcel.

annodomini Wed 09-Dec-20 22:35:45

The trend nowadays are 'smart' watches which act like mini computers. My DS1, who loves gadgets(!) seems to have a different one each time I see him and I know his partner is thinking of getting him another for Christmas. There's always a new twist on the earlier models! Is this the kind of watch the OP is all about?

BlueBelle Wed 09-Dec-20 22:47:25

So has he opened his present already? If so what was his reaction ? Or were you peeping ? What’s the reason behind you remarking about her buying him another cheaper present?
As he was grateful when you bought it for him 2 years ago you know he loved it so not really a problem now is it
Just let it go it’s not really a problem
I still am interested in how you know what’s in his Christmas parcel ?

Kaylamai06 Wed 09-Dec-20 22:56:06

He opened the box even though it was addressed to me. At first he brought the box to me after first taking out the watch. He then told me that she gave him a watch and brought it for me to see. I wasn’t going to open the box until Christmas Day.

BlueBelle Wed 09-Dec-20 23:05:05

Well did he say anything about it being a duplicate?
And what did you say ?

MrsThreadgoode Wed 09-Dec-20 23:13:20

I expect she wanted to buy him something nice and something similar to the one he has, as she knew that he liked it, some men like to change their watches, not just use the one.

I doubt that she tried to upstage you at all, just wanted a nice gift for her Dad.

Nadateturbe Wed 09-Dec-20 23:20:22

Unless you and the daughter aren't on good terms and you think she had an agenda, I don't see a problem, apart from why are people opening presents before Christmas? !

Hithere Wed 09-Dec-20 23:21:32

Some men like having watches like some women like purses, for example.