Gransnet forums

Relationships

Heartbreaking to have a ten month granddaughter in Australia

(85 Posts)
lovemabub Fri 01-Jan-21 20:58:50

Is anyone else in my situation where all I want is to be with my grand children (a two and half year old boy and a ten month year old girl who I've never seen,) who live in Perth, Australia, but I can't get into the country?I'm literally ready to swim there I miss them so much! And my daughter is feeling overwhelmed by studying for a Masters as well as looking after them with no help. I was supposed to be there for her. I'm trying to be philosophical but wonder if there are any other grannies with Oz grandchildren out there?

aonk Sat 02-Jan-21 11:10:11

I’m not in your position as my GC live in the UK. I agree that we must soldier on bravely and be grateful for everything we have. In my view however you are perfectly entitled to feel heartbroken. I wish you well at such a very difficult time for you.

Rosalyn69 Sat 02-Jan-21 11:22:01

I’m sure I sound hard but everyone has a sob story and all we can do is get a grip and carry on.
I think dwelling on situations one cannot change is not a good idea.

Jeannie59 Sat 02-Jan-21 11:39:19

I too am in that position, with 1 DD in san Diego with my 2 G up DGC. they have been there 21 years, last saw my dd last year with my gson when they came over for my fathers funeral and my other Dd with 2 young Gd's live in OZ. luckily I went over for a month last Christmas, so it hasn't been as long for me, this time.
But yes the not knowing when I will see them again with covid dictating everything atm, it is hard
But we do have ways to keep in touch, so it does help.

harrigran Sat 02-Jan-21 11:57:18

I would say that quite a lot of us are in the same position as you.
One member of my family I haven't seen for 14 months and my DD a full year since we were together.
I have seen GC three times, at a distance, in the last year.
I do not fret over circumstances I cannot change.

jools1 Sat 02-Jan-21 12:09:08

Yes Lovemabub, I'm in the same situation as you and finding it more and more difficult. My only grandchildren live 'across the pond' and I'm so afraid that the close bond we once had will now be broken forever. Yes, I keep busy but it is hard and cannot be compared to those who have family in the UK. I'm desperate for the vaccine to be rolled out and plan to see them this year if at all possible. Unlikely I know, and all I can do is hope. You are not alone.

Jill0753 Sat 02-Jan-21 12:12:28

I’m in that position too. I haven’t seen my son and his family who live in Adelaide for 14 months now. It isn’t easy. My daughter and other grandchildren are 5 hours away but they are in this country so that feels different as I know that I will see them this year. I’m the daughter of a merchant sailor so I was brought up on long absences but it isn’t any easier now than it was then. I do tell myself that they are safer in Australia at the moment

EllanVannin Sat 02-Jan-21 12:16:50

It is what it is and there's nothing we can do about it. My D is 60 this month and her 40th Wedding Anniversary is this summer also and I won't be there for either.
It would have been a big celebration since I turned 80 last year----so all hopes have been dashed of a family gathering for that occasion. Along with the adult GC who are there.sad

mphammersley Sat 02-Jan-21 12:17:28

My granddaughter was one on the 28th December and lives in the USA. This is my daughters first child and one we never expected as my daughter was 45 when she was born. Joy and sorrow all rolled into one. Thank goodness for technology to keep us connected in some way. She kisses the screen when she sees us! My daughter had to start work when baby was 5 months old, but at least could work from home. But nevertheless is a full time demanding job to do with a young baby to look after. Covid has been very bad over there and she has not wanted anyone coming into her home. Only recently has she seen her husbands family but always with masks inside or outside. Planned visits for last year disappeared, hoping for a visit this year but that is not going to be for months at the earliest. And after being hood and safe for so long no of us are going to take reckless risks.

Fill your time as much as you can until you all be together. Send little parcels, write letters, make keepsakes for them if you are talented.

Twig14 Sat 02-Jan-21 12:17:44

I am in the same position I last saw my two little grandchildren a year last July n doubt I will see then now until this July all being well. It will then be two years. My DS works in Tokyo. I miss them all so much n only see them on FaceTime but at least grateful for that and zoom. It’s not the same snd they are growing up so fast and we miss out. However no good moping I try to keep busy and am grateful to be here as a lot of people sadly are not. Cheer up there’s light at the end of the tunnel

Twig14 Sat 02-Jan-21 12:23:54

Agree with Bluebelle we are fortunate we can see our families on FaceTime and Zoom years ago we didn’t have those facilities. My mother married my father during WW2 n didn’t see him for years relied on letters to each other. Been an extremely difficult time for so many people keeping fit n healthy im order to see family again a priority

Newatthis Sat 02-Jan-21 12:26:02

I am in exactly the same position - 3 year old and a 7 month old who I haven't met as they are in the USA. Added to that we were told over Christmas that the baby has been diagnosed with COVID (I am devastated!!) although she is well and not too poorly with it. It's terrible - I pine everyday (and lots of tears).

4allweknow Sat 02-Jan-21 12:28:38

Like you find it hard not having physical contact with GC even though both in UK. Surely your DDs studies will have been rescheduled especially being in Australia where there have been much tighter lockdowns than the UK.

GreyKnitter Sat 02-Jan-21 12:42:07

I think all grandparents are missing their grandchildren assuming they are not part of their support bubble. Haven’t seen mine for almost a year now and they live in the UK. They’re growing up fast and I’m missing seeing them and enjoying their company. The good thing is that we speak regularly online and I’m often their call of choice when life gets frustrating for them. I have also sent them ‘cheer them up’ gifts through the year and they have sent a few odd bits to me. Luckily, in spite of some health scares during the year none of us have had COVID and are generally healthy and well. Stay safe everyone and look forward to seeing family and friends again soon if we all stick to the rules.

Spec1alk Sat 02-Jan-21 13:00:46

I’m missing my family in Oz too. We would have visited them this year. As we age we worry that we won’t be able to make that long trip as often and have no idea when we will be able to go again. It’s hard, but I’m consoling myself with the fact that none of the family have contracted CORONOVIRUS at this time.

lovemabub Sat 02-Jan-21 13:06:35

Thank you all for your supportive comments. It's true that Perth is one of the safest places in the world at the moment so I'm grateful they are living a normal life. And of course many grans have children not living far away like hicaz46 and aren't able to see them either. I'm hoping this year will be the one when we do get to see them!

Grandmabeach Sat 02-Jan-21 13:10:57

Many people on here will be missing grandchildren this year. Ours live in the UK but are a 5 hour or 7 hour round trip away so we have not seen them since last February half-term. We all agreed from the start that it was safer not to meet up. In the meantime we have Zoom parties for birthdays, lots of Facetime, exchange photos and we send the children gifts to cheer them up including a teddy to hug when they miss us. I often wonder how my DF felt in WWII - he did not even see me until I was 2 but we became very close.

beverly10 Sat 02-Jan-21 13:30:35

There are thousands in your position. Myself one of them.
Our chicks do fly the nest and who can deny them any chance of making inprovements to or to better their lives. Not always however on our door step.
Think of your chicks, are they happy ? are they in good health?That is what matters.
Can you not link up with your DD? Skype?etc.If you know of any one who has links with overseas family they will advise how you too can be with your family in secs without stepping out of your door.Much safer at the present time.

Maidmarion Sat 02-Jan-21 13:53:30

Yes.... same here (family in USA).... it’s painful, I know, but there’s absolutely nowt we can do about it just yet!!! So many, many people in the same situation ?

Glow Sat 02-Jan-21 14:00:59

I have a son daughter in law and baby grandson living in Perth and not a day goes by without me thinking and wishing I could hug and support them like true mum and nana ...

Waltz Sat 02-Jan-21 14:12:24

I have 4 grandchildren new grandson who is 7 months old now and a new granddaughter due in March we were lucky to have seen them on Christmas Day,even though they are only 30mins away we miss them like crazy, I couldn’t think of anything worse than them being on the other side of the world but we face time and text all the time, I know it’s not the same as being there to help but at least they will know you love them and hopefully be able to see them soon

Caligrandma Sat 02-Jan-21 15:23:37

We all miss our GC. Some of us are estranged from them and that feels permanent. Its a weird time. Nothing you can do really. Send them letters, photos, zoom them. Its okay to cry at night. I've given myself permission to cry about it and grieve about the situation. Acknowledging the pain of the experience somehow helps me accept the situation.

Lucca Sat 02-Jan-21 15:31:56

“ I do not fret over circumstances I cannot change.” Well then Harrigran, all I can say is Good for you! I wish I could switch off missing my son. 2 years now.

buylocal Sat 02-Jan-21 15:54:01

lovemabub, is this your only daughter and are they your only grandchildren? If they are, I suggest you look forward to going there to live when you are able - absolutely nothing else fills the gap that they leave in your heart.

Bluecat Sat 02-Jan-21 16:48:03

4 of my DGC live in Wisconsin, one of the places in the US where the virus is completely out of control. Luckily, 3 of them are safely at home and studying by distance learning but one of them is at work. We just have to hope that he will be ok. We were supposed to be visiting them, for the first time, last summer and they were coming here in the autumn. Of course, it couldn't happen. So disappointing.

However, it's not much better for those living in the UK. My other 3 DGDs live about 5 minutes drive away but our contact with them is minimal,except online. Since March, all we have done is talk to them, at a distance, in their front garden. The baby, born in March, is growing up without us. I would love to give her a cuddle but I know it's not safe. Her mum and dad are both key workers and her sisters are at school. The risk of transmission is too high.

Missing your DGC is very hard, particularly when you would normally be helping out. However, you're not helping if you catch the virus and die. Hold on for the vaccine, and hope that the government doesn't mess up the whole thing!

GrammarGrandma Sat 02-Jan-21 17:00:59

My youngest daughter and her husband and three children (7, 5 and 2) are currently in Singapore. We haven't seen them in the flesh since October 2018. We've just had to adapt to it; there is nothing else to do. This is not to do with Covid-19 but with their chosen life style. We haven't touched the two in London (6 and 4) for nearly a year and that is because of Covid.