Gransnet forums

Relationships

How well do you get on with...

(59 Posts)
MrsPickle Sat 27-Feb-21 19:43:58

outlaws?
We may not get on with DiL perfectly harmoniously, but we are good friends with her parents.
Been away on holiday with them, meals, coffees etc. But we agreed to keep our own confidences.

I remember my parents having a 'cordial' relationship with my in laws (with whom I enjoyed a warm and loving ralationship), but they kept their distance.

Alittlemadam Tue 02-Mar-21 19:59:51

My MIL never accepted me or my children and disowened her son. When she passed away and this may sound horrid but I was so relived that I would never again have to put up with the way she treated us at family occasions. I am my husbands second wife and at a funeral she stood with my husbands daughter and ex wife and basically rubbed or noses in it. Glad she's gone

Happysexagenarian Tue 02-Mar-21 13:03:23

We are great friends with all our DIL's parents. We meet up for family occasions, they visit us, we exchange cards for birthdays, Christmas etc, and we phone each other occasionally. We gained a new set of friends when our sons married.

Sloegin Tue 02-Mar-21 07:35:45

DIL's parents were polite and pleasant enough any time we met them ( her father's dead now and mother doesn't travel) but obviously not keen to be friends. SIL's parents very friendly and pleasant but they are Frech with limited English and our French is limited even though my husband's is better than mine. I seem to find it impossible to improve!

Joelise Mon 01-Mar-21 16:12:26

My SIL’s mother, is one of my best friends!

Haydnpat Mon 01-Mar-21 15:52:00

"Never met on set of in laws" not even at the wedding?

Sarahmob Mon 01-Mar-21 15:12:13

We get on well with our DD’s in-laws, we meet occasionally at GC birthdays etc and exchange Christmas cards and token gifts. We don’t live close enough to each other to meet socially.

H1954 Mon 01-Mar-21 14:41:09

My in-laws died many years ago. Although both very set in their ways they were pleasant and kind. Not like their 2 daughters who both saw me as a threat and resented me from day one.
When we first married my MIL would buy us bits and pieces for our home, a nice teapot, a couple of bath towels etc., but we were sworn to secrecy and told never to tell her daughters. Quite why that was I will never know because we were all too aware that the parents were bank rolling both daughters regularly with huge amounts of money.
Both daughters were so jealous!

Nicegranny Mon 01-Mar-21 14:19:28

Laurensnan
lm sorry you lost your son.

GrandmasueUK Mon 01-Mar-21 14:14:18

My son and his family live abroad and I get on so well with my new family over there. His Mil is lovely. I only met his in-laws the day before the wedding and they couldn’t have been more welcoming. Sadly Fil died a few years ago. My son used to spend an afternoon with him to give Mil a break. We used to drive along a coast road which was very therapeutic for her and it has become a thing I do on Google street view when I’m feeling down. When I went to stay with son I always spent a weekend or 2 with Mil and we have such a good time. I haven’t seen them in person for 2 years and I can’t wait to get back there. Thank goodness for FaceTime!

Elvis58 Mon 01-Mar-21 14:09:32

Unfortunately one daughters inlaws were dead before they married.Other daughters mil passed when they hsd only been married 11 months,she was ok but hard work.Sons longterm girlfriends parents live in South Africa so never met them.

Kartush Mon 01-Mar-21 13:54:53

I think we all get on ok not that we saw much of our childrens inlaws but we were always cordial when we met for family occasions

M0nica Mon 01-Mar-21 13:43:51

My parents and in laws always got on well. They lived too far apart to be close friends, but after FiL died and she lived close to us, my parents invited her to stay and they all enjoyed the week so much and we saw a close personal relationship building up. Truncated when DMiL died suddenly.

Bluedaisy Mon 01-Mar-21 12:37:35

My poor DDL’s family are vile unfortunately. The DM is a narcissistic of the highest level and her DH is an enabler to her so my DDL has cut herself off from them and my DS and GDS have nothing to do with them either. Such a shame but they have caused us all terrible stress for the last 10 years so thank god they are out of our life at the moment. Hopefully it will stay that way as DDL, DS and DGS are a lot happier too. It’s so sad as it could have been so different but some people don’t appreciate family.

NannaJanie Mon 01-Mar-21 12:27:41

I Loved my in laws and my husband loved my parents. We both called each other's parents 'mum and dad'. They were all loving and supportive and we saw them all frequently.

Ellet Mon 01-Mar-21 12:26:50

I have the most adorable DiL and get on very well with her Mum and her Grandma. My DiL hasn’t seen her Dad since she was 8 and come to think of it I don’t even know his name.
My Mum, who was loved by everyone who knew her, didn’t get on very well with my MiL. She tried really hard and invited the out laws to many family occasions. This was never reciprocated though and Mum gave up.

Lulubelle500 Mon 01-Mar-21 12:17:33

Get on with both my sons' in-laws really well and we are now one big extended family. Both my DILs parents have always been very supportive of my boys - not always easy as both of them have had quite serious times in the past. In normal times we will all have meals out and celebrate birthdays and anniversaries together. I come from a big family and can't imagine not being happy to add more members. I believe it's very important for kids growing up to spend time with all family age groups. My DH was an only child, his parents and grandparents were too and he has always felt he missed out somehow.

ninathenana Mon 01-Mar-21 12:14:03

Daughter's ex in-laws are a weird couple. DD wasn't allowed in their house until after they were married and then she was never welcomed.
We met them once before the wedding and at the reception they and his mum spent the evening in an anti room. DD married for 10 yrs. We never saw them again after the wedding despite them living a 10 min walk away.
Yes, we did try.

JaneJudge Mon 01-Mar-21 12:13:33

My Mum is very good friends with my Mother in law too. My Mum is young enough to to be her daughter (we breed young, they bred late) and in some ways my Mum has taken on the daughter in law role! My Mil often treats me like I am some daft kid grin

Jennyluck Mon 01-Mar-21 12:08:27

Only one of our children is married. Met the in laws to be, the husband was a bit of a bragger, but the mother seemed really nice and thought we would get on.
After the wedding was announced we met up again. The dad ignored us, not sure why.
But the mother made it clear she was a bigger part of the couples life than me. I made the mistake of telling my child how I felt.
So now we are estranged.
Banned from their wedding.
I’d love to know what mother in law thinks.
I don’t blame her. I think my child thought he’d found a better family, so we were expendable.
I wish I’d never said a word, and just put up with it.

Bijou Mon 01-Mar-21 11:58:38

Never got on very well with my husbands family and after he died I never heard from them again but often wonder how they all are.

seadragon Mon 01-Mar-21 11:47:27

Never got as far as in-laws with our 2, but remember being bemused that neither of our son's two long term female partners ever thought to introduce us to their families when we were visiting them in England although they met ours..in Scotland.....

GreenGran78 Mon 01-Mar-21 11:38:25

My FIL died before I met my DH. We lived with MIL when first married. She died from cancer just as we were thinking of moving to our own place. I got on very well with her, and was sad that she never met her first GC.
DD1 is divorced. I got on OK with her parents in law, but their son could do no wrong. DD keeps in touch for the GC’s sake, but they are now grown up, and drifting away from them. In-laws are more interested in the other GC and GGC.
I have a very good relationship with all the other In laws perhaps because they live in Australia and Peru! We do video chat quite often. though

GinnyH Mon 01-Mar-21 11:36:03

We get on well with our younger daughter’s in- laws when we see them, they live 200 miles away. We speak to our elder daughter’s when we see them but we have no relationship with them.

icanhandthemback Mon 01-Mar-21 11:32:48

We have 5 sets of outlaws and, at a minimum, we try to be cordial but there are 3 sets who we find it more difficult to actually make friends with. It isn't on our part. One set of outlaws is very shy and really jealous of our lifestyle. She will go out of her way to sit apart from us (and everybody else) at gatherings so it probably isn't just us.
One of my DIL's has parents who are divorced and her father obviously dislikes women so I am persona non grata. Her Mum is pleasant but keeps herself to herself; I think she is quite shy.
I managed to fall out with my DIL's late mother before I'd even met her. Her daughter (who was 21) was staying with us for the weekend and fell ill so was unable to travel back the 250 miles home. In an effort to reassure the mother that the daughter wasn't swinging the lead and was definitely unwell, I caused high dudgeon. She insisted that she came home and got her husband to drive down to get her. In the morning, her daughter was sent home within minutes from work as too ill to be there. Our relationship never recovered. She had the most amazing way of looking through me whenever I spoke to her. She was the most ferocious woman and completely averse to any diplomacy whatsoever. I was speechless at the language down the phone whenever I had upset her...without ever having got a word out first!
My SIL had a very complicated childhood spending time in care. His late father was schizophrenic but seemed like a nice person. His mother is a very down trodden woman married to a paedophile. The stepfather pulled all the guests on my SIL's family at the wedding based on what he thought was a slight from his stepson. Nothing we said would convince them to stay and he insisted that all his family had to leave or he would make sure they suffered! It could have completely ruined our daughter's wedding and she has never forgiven them. Once he was convicted, she banned all contact with the stepfather so we don't really see the mother.
My other DIL has lovely parents who we have invited to our events and vice versa. Phew!

hicaz46 Mon 01-Mar-21 11:32:40

I get on well with both my children's in laws. We have been on holiday with DD's in laws, stayed at there house and they have stayed with us. Also spent many a Christmas with them. Don't see so much of DS's in laws but when we do all is very friendly. Also friends on FB with both sets.