Gransnet forums

Relationships

Do you wish you wish you had said something to your mum/dad before they died

(30 Posts)
Shinamae Tue 08-Jun-21 23:30:47

My dad was A fantastic dad although in the later part of my life he disowned me and as I was full blown alcoholic at the time I really don’t blame him. He has been dead a good few years and I Just wish I had told him certain things. That was the walks hr he used to take me and my brother on all through the countryside for hours on end,we used to walk fromMortehoe to lee,a long way to go for small children but we loved that!! He made a swing from a tree trunk and put it in the garage, he also made us stilts, which we hesitantly grew to walk on. He took us on a holiday (didn’t have many) to Wales to see a lot of the castles we thought that was brilliant as well.I do wish I’d said all this when Iwas at dads deathbed but I didn’t.In case you’re wondering we made up when my brother was diagnosed with terminal cancer, a hell of a price to pay to repair a relationship shattered by use of alcohol.!!Oh and another thing he used to do which probably would be very frowned on now he would take us to the dumps out in the middle of fields for scrap metal there would be cars, general rubbish and I specially remember some dead sheep (didn’t faze us at all )Jimmy and I were only about seven and nine and we absolutely loved it,I just wished I had told him what a fantastic childhood he had given us…?‍♀️??And properly thanked him for it, I’m sure it would have meant a lot to him

absent Mon 13-Sep-21 07:59:05

After I left university I lived at our family home for a short time and, once I had a job, I moved to a flat-share. My mother was devastated and deeply hurt. After all, in her generation you lived with your parents until you got married. Moreover, the flat was nothing like so comfortable as the family home.

I was sorry that she felt abandoned and wrote her a long letter in which I told her that I no longer needed her to cook my meals or do my laundry but that I relied on her to comfort me when I was sad, rejoice with me when I was successful, to love me unconditionally and be my "go to" person when I was puzzled or confused.

After she died, many years later, I found the letter safely tucked away in a drawer in her bedroom. So I did say something special and important to her before she died – and she knew it.

DiscoDancer1975 Mon 13-Sep-21 08:18:26

No, I tried countless times while they were alive, and nothing changed. If they’d lived to be a thousand years I doubt it would have made much difference.

You, on the other hand, describe a great childhood, which you would have expressed at the time. He/ they knew....have no fear about that.

Sago Mon 13-Sep-21 09:31:44

I too would have liked to ask my mother and father what made them so cruel.

Also my stupid this mother who always bragged that she had a suitcase packed ready for emergency hospital visits ( she had a wealthy friend she liked to emulate who did the same)
“ You don’t need to worry it’s there on the landing all packed”

It was but the silly woman locked it, we never found the key.

I’d love to ask what the heck she was thinking when she did that!

Smileless2012 Mon 13-Sep-21 10:37:39

Only what I told her during her lifetime 'I love you mum'. I just wish I could have told her one last time before she died.