Gransnet forums

Relationships

DIL Problem

(40 Posts)
Silverdale2 Wed 23-Jun-21 21:04:24

I am very close to my son, daughter in law and 2 grandchildren age 4 and six. I stay over one night a week, as part of child care. My dil works three days a week and my son works from home. He has an office separate to the main house. They have a very good income.
They have divided chores so she is responsible for the house cleaning (also cleaners every 3 weeks) and he does ALL the cooking and feeding of the children.
The house is dirty. My bedroom was last cleaned in February when I was isolating with them due to Covid. I have changed the bed and dusted since but don’t have time to do more.
The children have beautiful clothes but she dresses them very scruffily and they are often grubby.
My dil is very over weight and I think this contributes to her lack of interest in the home. She has a beautiful mum and sister who are always beautifully turned out.
Bottom line: I’m worried that she’s depressed and don’t know what to do. My son adores her and continues to take the domestic load. Help please.

grandtanteJE65 Sat 26-Jun-21 11:37:37

In your place I would express my concern directly to my daughter-in-law by asking her if she is happy as to you she seems a little unlike her usual self.

If she tells you she is fine, you can then have a word with your son, but going to him first is a bit of a slap in the face for your daughter-in-law, surely?

Have you time to start teaching the children to dust, make their beds and put dirty clothes in the dirty clothes basket?

At six and four they will probably enjoy helping.

Madgran77 Fri 25-Jun-21 08:43:37

Redhead sorry about your friend. Your apology is kind and gracious flowers

grannyactivist Thu 24-Jun-21 23:40:19

A gracious apology Redhead, I hope you have a better day tomorrow.

Silverdale2, your concern for your daughter-in-law is evident, I hope you find a way to continue to offer the right support, at the right time, in the right way. ?

Chewbacca Thu 24-Jun-21 23:37:19

Cross posted Redhead. Your apology wasn't visible when I posted. I hope your friends have better news soon.

Chewbacca Thu 24-Jun-21 23:33:26

Your DIL works three days a week what does she do the rest of the time beside stuff her face? She needs a good talking to stop pussy footing and get on with it.

Wow Redhead you're a piece of work aren't you? I'll bet your DIL just loves you when you speak to her like that. Do you speak to people irl like that? No? Thought not.

Redhead56 Thu 24-Jun-21 23:27:18

I apologise to O P I have had bad news about my friends. That is no excuse I don't know what I was thinking. It's not like me to be negative I always try to give support about family issues.

glammanana Thu 24-Jun-21 18:32:18

When ever I have stayed over at AC's houses I have always taken laundry down to be washed and cleaned the bedroom before leaving anything else I would class as impoliteness.
If your son & dil are happy and they grandchildren well cared for its their business no one else's.

OutsideDave Thu 24-Jun-21 18:07:19

How dirty can a room
Only used once a week really get? I don’t understand why you can’t keep it clean to your standards, and why you think your son shouldn’t be expected to do so either. If it’s really that bad I’d tell your son you’d like the cleaners to add it on to their roster and you’ll pay the extra cost.

AGAA4 Thu 24-Jun-21 16:44:20

Surprised by the post from Redhead. She usually seems quite caring. Bad day?

Toadinthehole Thu 24-Jun-21 16:29:35

I too, would speak to him. In fact we did do this with our son and DIL. There are ways of doing it in a non judgemental way. We love her very much, and were concerned. My son was worried, and felt relieved to talk about it with us.
The next thing, my DIL started to lose weight! She looks lovely now, and feels better.
My thoughts are, if you keep ignoring something it’ll get worse. It’s the old, everyone’s thinking it but no one’s doing anything.
I suppose you’re the best person to work out how it should be tackled OP. You know them. I would hate to think she really is suffering, perhaps with depression, and everyone’s walking on egg shells round her.

ExD Thu 24-Jun-21 15:01:09

You say you can't clean your own room because you haven't time because you're looking after the children. I take it the 6 year old is at school so you only have the younger one during the day.
Couldn't you spend an hour " tidying Granny's bedroom"? Perhaps let her do a 'turn-up' ie finding a container (laundry basket or cardboard box) and putting everything into it, (sheets, clothing, shoes, hairbrush etc) then putting it on the bed, while you go round the edge of the carpet with a brush, and hoover it?
Honestly, if you time yourself its amazing what you can achieve in 60 mins. And the little one can sort your jewellery or hairpins or socks for you.
She/he will love it when the timer goes off and you can have a biscuit or something.
Do you expect your DIL to invade your privacy and clean it for you? I wouldn't dream of cleaning my MIL's room.

March Thu 24-Jun-21 14:36:50

I honestly wouldn't do or say anything.
Being overweight doesn't automatically mean depressed.
Your son is also dressing the kids 'scruffily' and not keeping up with the housework. If he was bothered, he'd do it.

I'm presuming the other days your DIL isn't working she's doing catch up.

Honestly, don't say anything. Not everyone is house proud and there maybe things going on that you don't know of.
Keep doing what you're doing.

TrendyNannie6 Thu 24-Jun-21 10:47:04

Very unkind post Redhead,

eazybee Thu 24-Jun-21 10:41:05

I would be very careful what you say or do with regard to your daughter -in-law. Your post comes over as quite judgemental: my son does ALL the cooking; he continues to take the domestic load; the house is dirty; she is very overweight, the children are scruffy/grubby; just at the end you say she may be depressed.

Your son adores her; he is at home all the time so surely he is aware of the state of the house and children and can take action if need be. She may well be exhausted following covid, lockdown, home-schooling et al; she may have a job where she works three days a week but has work to do at home as well, or she may simply hate housework
If you speak to your son it may well get back to her, 'my mother says' and there won't be a happy outcome.
Observe by all means, and be prepared to help if asked, but I really don't think comments to either of them would help at this stage.

Madgran77 Thu 24-Jun-21 09:14:30

Your DIL works three days a week what does she do the rest of the time beside stuff her face? She needs a good talking to stop pussy footing and get on with it

What was your purpose in posting that to a clearly worried OP Redhead?

FannyCornforth Thu 24-Jun-21 08:56:32

sodapop

Can't believe you actually said that Redhead 56 not helpful at all.

I know! I actually gasped!

FannyCornforth Thu 24-Jun-21 08:55:45

Redhead56

Your DIL works three days a week what does she do the rest of the time beside stuff her face? She needs a good talking to stop pussy footing and get on with it.

Are you okay?
Have you taken leave of your senses, or is it a joke?

DiscoDancer1975 Thu 24-Jun-21 08:43:11

I instantly thought depression. Bless her. I would talk to your son. He must be concerned too. It’s not something I could ignore, and ultimately, it’s probably not going to just go away. I assume she’s become overweight and didn’t start off that way.

You say you are close to them all, talk it through, but delicately at first, with just your son. You may find he’s been eager to talk, but hasn’t known how to start. Difficult to brooch with your own mum.

All the best.

Dryginger Thu 24-Jun-21 08:33:44

Readhead 56 nice post!!!?

Lucca Thu 24-Jun-21 08:23:10

sodapop

Agree. Must be a spoof post. If not - gawd help her son or daughter in law !!

Lucca Thu 24-Jun-21 08:21:19

“ would try and get her on some type of healthy eating plan , slimming world is easy to follow and family friendly, suggest you go with her to start, ”

Oh my goodness! No !! Only if she started the conversation,

Some people just aren’t into cleaning and don’t think about it, my DIL is like that but she’s a great mum and an interesting hardworking and brave woman.

How dirty is your room? Surely you can give it a quick clean if you’re bothered.

sodapop Thu 24-Jun-21 08:15:30

Doodledog Thu 24-Jun-21 08:10:39

Redhead56

Is this a genuine post?

What the DIL does in her own house in the days she’s not at work is entirely up to her. No more to be said, really.

Silverdale2 Thu 24-Jun-21 05:29:22

Thanks everyone! I’m just going to let things be and help out as much as I can. I will just count my blessings!

Redhead56 Thu 24-Jun-21 01:17:50