Gransnet forums

Relationships

Husband now being charged

(59 Posts)
Susysue Mon 23-Aug-21 15:13:33

Some of you may remember my previous post"another failed marriage" and I was so grateful for all the support I received then. Over the past few months, I have been getting my head round things including speaking with a lawyer, telling my children (not his biologically) about the abuse. If you remember, the house we live in is in my sole name as it was bought with the proceeds from my house I owned pre marriage and my dad's inheritance. He had sold his own house post marriage and filtered away the proceeds in his own named accounts. Finally he agreed I could get an estate agent round to value the house in the hope of putting it up for sale. The day after this happened, he assaulted me again when we were arguing, pushed me over twice and hurt me. He ran out the door and went away in his car. This time, for the first time, I called the police. I was in a terrible state and had just had enough. The coercive behaviour had been getting worse too. I think the fact that I had had the estate agent round which meant we were definitely going our separate ways was enough to send him overboard. The police arrived and were very good. They spent a long time asking me about the incident and I told them previous incidents and the coercive controlling behaviour. They were about to leave, having said if he came home, I had to phone them back when he arrived back. The police ladies went out and arrested him on the spot, he was protesting his innocence. Meanwhile my horrid neighbours are having a field day and are blatantly out in their front gardens, talking over their fences to each other, watching everything (to this day, not one of these ignorant people have even come to my door to see I am alright!!, I believe they think I have lowered the tone of their neighbourhood) .Husband is then taken away in a police van and I am taken to A and E with a broken wrist. To cut a long story short, he has been charged with assault to injury, has been bailed to his mother's house, with conditions not to come anywhere near me or contact me. He has been up in court, pled not guilty (as seemingly most of them do) and the trial is set for November. My lawyer has is now in negotiations with his lawyer as to a separation agreement and trying to get the house on the market but cant do so until the separation agreement is sorted out. He is doing as I knew he would, regardless of the situation. He is trying to get at least £130k as a settlement from a house he has neither contributed to the purchase of or paid any mortgage etc for (there is no mortgage thankfully), meanwhile it would appear that I cannot touch his pension, his assets from his previous house sale or any other assets he has. He is also wanting half the house contents which again I paid for or were mine pre marriage. Truly the man has no guilt!! I have now told other close friends what has been going on and they are shocked. My children have been wonderful but I feel like a disaster zone. What on earth did I ever see in this human being to allow him into my life? My gut instincts which are normally good went out the window. Tge alarm bells should have been ringing loud and clear...I was his 3rd wife, he has two biological AC who refuse to have anything to do with him, his daughter calls him "a toxic abusive manipulator " and his two previous stepchildren have nothing to do with him either. OMG...I feel like I must have been mad!!! I have let my family down so much, at least my dear parents aren't still alive to see this mess. Due to all the mental coercive behaviour and gaslighting (a term I had never heard of until a OP on my previous post highlighted), I feel I cannot trust anyone anymore, apart from my kids and dearest friends. But what is worse is I cannot trust my own judgement anymore. How I move forward in life, I just do not know. However the one positive is that finally I am not living with an abuser and just maybe, I can have a happy life ahead. I have been served with papers which mean I have to go to court as a witness against him. I feel completely ill at the thought of that.This will only be avoided if he pleads guilty at the pre trial which given he cannot accept responsibility for any of his actions, is unlikely unless his lawyer can persuade him otherwise. He still has a key to the house and I am terrified he will come in. The police have a "marker" on the house so that if I phone 999, they will be here very quickly but how quick?? My AC live a long way from me and though they have individually come up to stay, they have their own lives and I am now here alone. I just want to get on with selling the house and move nearer to my kids and my true friends but that still seems a hurdle away. I have some good days but as you can tell, this isn't one of them!!!! X

Lettice Mon 23-Aug-21 18:37:50

I changed the locks within a couple of hours of getting him out. Did it myself, it is easy. He must have lost his key, don't you think when he couldn't get in when I was not there. What a shame I didn't have a spare for him.

ElaineI Mon 23-Aug-21 18:49:37

Agree with others, change locks, get chains, and security. camera/bell. You can get them quite cheaply - needn't be the most expensive but can send alerts to your phone or Alexa. We changed DD2 locks with **head sitting watching in neighbours garden. Recently put eufy camera doorbells back and front and padlocked gate. Police also aware. She feels a bit safer. Also maybe lock on your bedroom door and a plan if he came near. Anything important store with a friend or ask DC to keep for you. Have a small case packed in case you have to leave quickly. But most important well done - you have accomplished the hardest bit and will have a better life from now on!

Coolgran65 Mon 23-Aug-21 18:49:48

I would change the locks regardless of the law. They won’t put you in jail. Maybe get your knuckles wrapped but most likely nothing at all.
I agree with pp about gathering together any papers, financial information, sentimental items that you don’t want him to have but would go further and have a family member or very trusted friend keep these safe fir you. Also see what you can find with regard to your husband’s financial position.
I do think you are entitled to more than you think.
Also a good divorce lawyer, not a general lawyer. Woman’s Aid may advise.
Best wishes. You will get there …. I did.

Susysue Mon 23-Aug-21 20:24:35

I can't thank you all enough for all your support and valuable advice It makes me so sad that so many of you or your DD have found themselves in this position. Tomorrow I will organise locks to be changed. Regarding the finances, I have been well and truly stitched up. He took early retirement a week before we married so the pension does not count!! Even his assets from the sale of his house don't count because he owned it before we married and more importantly, it was never the marital home whereas my home was. I can only hope that the exclusion clause regarding where the assets came from to buy the house count for something and the lawyer I have employed proves herself strong. If not, I will be changing lawyers. I never thought I would ever be in this position but proves it can happen to anyone, whether you are strong or not. I have been in touch before with woman's aid and the police domestic abuse support department have been lovely. I do think you are right re counselling and I will look into this tomorrow. At the moment, I am finding it difficult to see a happy future as I just think all of this will affect me for the rest of my life. Thank you all xxx

Redhead56 Mon 23-Aug-21 20:28:00

You need to get an injunction order out against him because of the abuse. Change the locks it’s not actually his house. Surround yourself with your friends near you to keep you occupied. It will be a difficult wait getting sorted out but the freedom will be worth it.
I got out of a violent marriage I still have mental scars because of it.
You can do it be brave one day at a time you made the first move and well done. As for the neighbours don’t give them a second thought you are better than them. Let us know how you get on hold your head up high in court you will be fine. ?

Susysue Mon 23-Aug-21 20:51:19

Redhead56

You need to get an injunction order out against him because of the abuse. Change the locks it’s not actually his house. Surround yourself with your friends near you to keep you occupied. It will be a difficult wait getting sorted out but the freedom will be worth it.
I got out of a violent marriage I still have mental scars because of it.
You can do it be brave one day at a time you made the first move and well done. As for the neighbours don’t give them a second thought you are better than them. Let us know how you get on hold your head up high in court you will be fine. ?

Thank you Redhead. So sorry to hear how it has affected you. You are very brave zx

Visgir1 Mon 23-Aug-21 21:16:47

Just wishing you the best of Luck and really hope you get the best advise. Have you phoned one of these women's charities who deal with this sort of thing? They might be able to suggest something you haven't thought of?
You have made that big step, keep walking towards Happiness.

Esspee Tue 24-Aug-21 06:03:10

It is not necessary to change the locks which is extremely expensive. You can change the core which is a simple job requiring just a screwdriver. If you are not confident get a locksmith to do it for you. Keep the old core and keys. You can swap with friends.

Ali08 Tue 24-Aug-21 07:09:27

About your neighbours.
Depending on your relationship with them prior to the fallout, they may feel that you would consider them nosey or interfering if they came round, so why don't you give little waves as you're passing them and say 'good morning', 'good afternoon' etc? It might just be the ice that needs breaking!
It's possible, quite probable, that they were aware of fights etc going on but didn't feel close enough to you to interfere, or were scared of your husband!
Unfortunately, neighbours are often not as close these days as when we or our parents were younger.
Be brave, put on a smile and say hi. Then you can dispel any bad rumours going around, but don't open up fully to them just in case any are on his side!!!
Be safe.

Grannycards1 Tue 24-Aug-21 07:12:06

My heart goes out to you and I am sending you virtual support and help. Do you have anyone who can come and stay with you for extra support? Yes changing the lock will help but you might other support. As for your neighbours they probably think Its a minor thing and they will soon make up kind of a thing. They probably are not aware that domestic abuse is a very serious issue. Did you get a non molestation order against him? Also children or a friend might need to come more regularly for a year or more to get you back on your feet.
Also please contact Solace Womens Aid for help or Hestia depending on your area. Wishing you support kindness and pray things get sorted out.

Whatdayisit Tue 24-Aug-21 08:05:02

Susysue so sorry for what you are going through. Do not be hard on yourself coercive control and gaslight ing are powerful psychological abuses which make you act in a way you would never have imagined. Freeing yourself from this can leave you with PTSD..

This is the point you have to keep at your strongest. Come down tough. Make sure you follow through with taking him to court for assaulting you. It is so easy for them to get away with it. Make sure he can't get near you through a restraining order.

Try not to fret too much about your house. Common sense most often prevails - ie he didn't bring anything to the table, no children involved and you have a paper trail. As other posters have said keep all paperwork safe.
Nearly 8 years since i got away for the final time and was pinned up by the neck until my youngest screamed at him to release me I still have to leave the light on when I do sleepins at work. They can stay in your head for so long so counselling would probably be a good idea if you have the energy.
Women are still treated by so many as though it's there fault for the abuse. The she must have deserved a slap attitude is still there. I remember my ex goading me saying he had a laugh about it with the coppers. He was given a slap on the wrist and ordered to pay me £50 and not allowed near me for 12 months. I'm not a shoe person but I bought a pair of shiny red freedom shoes with the 'compensation'. I think you have to keep reminding yourself that you are in control now and you are beating him. It is out in the open now and you should never feel ashamed. Look after yourself physically and mentally. Thinking of you.x

luluaugust Tue 24-Aug-21 08:23:17

Just wanted to wish you all the best flowers

Whatdayisit Tue 24-Aug-21 08:24:44

Sorry to go on and it probably doesn't need saying but never underestimate what he is capable of. Most murders are committed by partners or ex partners. I have no doubt that my life was saved by my daughter. Do not live in fear but don't let your guard down.x

Elizabeth1 Tue 24-Aug-21 08:28:00

susie well done on taking these final steps to move on to the next chapter in your life. Here’s to a happy and safe future to do with whatever you fancy without fear. You’ve stood up to this horrible person and now you’re going to be an independent woman with lots of happy days ahead I too would suggest getting a Ring doorbell they’re fabby we’ve had one for a while now and it records all who have or are at the door you don’t need to open the door if you don’t want to. Just put extra locks on to be extra extra safe from the torturous person who’s out of your life now hurrah hurrah

timetogo2016 Tue 24-Aug-21 10:02:39

Sod the law,change the locks Susysue.
You could always say you had an intruder.

Caleo Tue 24-Aug-21 10:15:48

I add to others' " Well done!".
Sorry about the lack of neighbourly support and I will try not to ever be like that.

Susysue Tue 24-Aug-21 11:33:16

Thank you all for your kindness and support. Whatdayisit, my heart goes out to you. What you and your daughter went through is just horrible. So happy you are now free but sad it still affects you so much. Xx

manny Tue 24-Aug-21 15:00:58

It all sounds horrible and I send all my best wishes to you. I’ve not had a completely similar experience, but I strongly identify with your tendency to reproach yourself because you didn’t see warning signs. I can’t reconcile the two versions of my husband (we’re separated now). In the early days, he was kind, caring and loving. How did we get from that to the situation we’re now in? I too beat myself up for not seeing the man he actually is. But we’re not psychic! So I try not to be too harsh on myself. If the person we met had shown his true colours at the start, we would never have married. So go easy on yourself.
I think you only need to look at your husband’s past relationship history - I too believed that I was special and that our relationship would last because so much was invested in it.
But it turned out that I was wrong, and meant no more to him than previous partners. It’s all very destructive - but I still believe in decency and kindness in spite of that.

GillT57 Tue 24-Aug-21 15:29:57

It is not your fault you fell for this man, you have been very brave and done the right thing involving the Police, and do retain your solicitor, it will cost money but you need reliable support from someone who knows your case, don't mess about with free half hours or citizens advice, pay for it and get it sorted. Don't fret about what he can or cannot do, ask your solicitor about locks and such, and install a door bell with a camera.

Whatdayisit Wed 25-Aug-21 10:54:00

Thank you Susysue. I hope you are looking after yourself and not stressing too much. Keep your head as best you can.
I agree with many and GillT above.
Keep going.x

Dee1012 Wed 25-Aug-21 11:30:02

There's so much good advice here...what I would add is that you can make contact with the Witness Service and ask for their support 0300 332 1000
They are based in every criminal court and can help you through the process.
They can arrange pre trial visits and support you through an application for screens etc so that if you do have to give evidence, you would be 'shielded'.

TwiceAsNice Wed 25-Aug-21 12:13:58

I called the police on am abusive husband . He was charged with assault by beating and I went to court as a witness and he was convicted. Daughters came to court to support me and also someone from Victim Support who were marvellous, I also had a visit from Women’s Aid. I didn’t stay in the house but went to daughters for several months but appreciate this is more difficult for you. Ex changed the locks and got no penalty for it so definitely change yours .

Get a solicitor whose speciality is family law . In court you can ask for a screen or even by video link from another room. I found the court experience very supportive , the magistrates saw straight through him and he actually lost his temper in the witness box which clinched things.

Try not to be afraid and keep fighting you will get a better life in the end. Don’t criticise yourself for being with him , I didn’t realise just how bad my life was until I was out. It also escalated for me because I filed for divorce ( in his eyes how dare I)

PM me if it would help.

Sago Wed 25-Aug-21 12:47:17

Firstly well done!

I know how hard it is, my father was an abusive, violent bully, sadly in the 70’s Police didn’t react to domestic abuse, it was deemed acceptable.

You sound balanced and in control, it is not your fault you fell for this man, people like him are so good at luring their prey.

I would gather every piece of financial evidence you can, make a note of any investments, pensions, bank accounts etc he had, if a forensic accountant gets involved it will make their job easier.

Regarding the neighbours, please ignore them, to be fair they are probably embarrassed and don’t know what to say, I’m not excusing their behaviour but in all honesty I’m not sure if I would get involved if it was a neighbour of mine I didn’t know too well.

For the court can you have witness support, it’s a nationwide scheme, it may help.

I wish you strength and future happiness.

Susysue Sat 28-Aug-21 11:13:16

Thank you all. Sorry again to hear of OP experiences in their lives with abuse. It still carries a stigma though it should not and is not spoken openly about enough. I wish you all well xxx

Whatdayisit Sat 28-Aug-21 11:19:40

It does feel like it Carrie's a stigma because people are so prejudice still. But we don't have to feel shame and we must hold our head up high.
I hope things are improving for you Susysue or are you in limbo. Hope you are not in a lot of physucal pain after his attack.x