Gransnet forums

Relationships

Husband now being charged

(59 Posts)
Susysue Mon 23-Aug-21 15:13:33

Some of you may remember my previous post"another failed marriage" and I was so grateful for all the support I received then. Over the past few months, I have been getting my head round things including speaking with a lawyer, telling my children (not his biologically) about the abuse. If you remember, the house we live in is in my sole name as it was bought with the proceeds from my house I owned pre marriage and my dad's inheritance. He had sold his own house post marriage and filtered away the proceeds in his own named accounts. Finally he agreed I could get an estate agent round to value the house in the hope of putting it up for sale. The day after this happened, he assaulted me again when we were arguing, pushed me over twice and hurt me. He ran out the door and went away in his car. This time, for the first time, I called the police. I was in a terrible state and had just had enough. The coercive behaviour had been getting worse too. I think the fact that I had had the estate agent round which meant we were definitely going our separate ways was enough to send him overboard. The police arrived and were very good. They spent a long time asking me about the incident and I told them previous incidents and the coercive controlling behaviour. They were about to leave, having said if he came home, I had to phone them back when he arrived back. The police ladies went out and arrested him on the spot, he was protesting his innocence. Meanwhile my horrid neighbours are having a field day and are blatantly out in their front gardens, talking over their fences to each other, watching everything (to this day, not one of these ignorant people have even come to my door to see I am alright!!, I believe they think I have lowered the tone of their neighbourhood) .Husband is then taken away in a police van and I am taken to A and E with a broken wrist. To cut a long story short, he has been charged with assault to injury, has been bailed to his mother's house, with conditions not to come anywhere near me or contact me. He has been up in court, pled not guilty (as seemingly most of them do) and the trial is set for November. My lawyer has is now in negotiations with his lawyer as to a separation agreement and trying to get the house on the market but cant do so until the separation agreement is sorted out. He is doing as I knew he would, regardless of the situation. He is trying to get at least £130k as a settlement from a house he has neither contributed to the purchase of or paid any mortgage etc for (there is no mortgage thankfully), meanwhile it would appear that I cannot touch his pension, his assets from his previous house sale or any other assets he has. He is also wanting half the house contents which again I paid for or were mine pre marriage. Truly the man has no guilt!! I have now told other close friends what has been going on and they are shocked. My children have been wonderful but I feel like a disaster zone. What on earth did I ever see in this human being to allow him into my life? My gut instincts which are normally good went out the window. Tge alarm bells should have been ringing loud and clear...I was his 3rd wife, he has two biological AC who refuse to have anything to do with him, his daughter calls him "a toxic abusive manipulator " and his two previous stepchildren have nothing to do with him either. OMG...I feel like I must have been mad!!! I have let my family down so much, at least my dear parents aren't still alive to see this mess. Due to all the mental coercive behaviour and gaslighting (a term I had never heard of until a OP on my previous post highlighted), I feel I cannot trust anyone anymore, apart from my kids and dearest friends. But what is worse is I cannot trust my own judgement anymore. How I move forward in life, I just do not know. However the one positive is that finally I am not living with an abuser and just maybe, I can have a happy life ahead. I have been served with papers which mean I have to go to court as a witness against him. I feel completely ill at the thought of that.This will only be avoided if he pleads guilty at the pre trial which given he cannot accept responsibility for any of his actions, is unlikely unless his lawyer can persuade him otherwise. He still has a key to the house and I am terrified he will come in. The police have a "marker" on the house so that if I phone 999, they will be here very quickly but how quick?? My AC live a long way from me and though they have individually come up to stay, they have their own lives and I am now here alone. I just want to get on with selling the house and move nearer to my kids and my true friends but that still seems a hurdle away. I have some good days but as you can tell, this isn't one of them!!!! X

Susysue Sat 28-Aug-21 11:32:15

Whatdayisit

It does feel like it Carrie's a stigma because people are so prejudice still. But we don't have to feel shame and we must hold our head up high.
I hope things are improving for you Susysue or are you in limbo. Hope you are not in a lot of physucal pain after his attack.x

Hi Whatdayisit, I am in limbo regarding the house sale as cannot proceed without a separation agreement in place. Mainly good days but some not so and a bit panicked. Have betablockers for the anxiety attacks but it is such a relief to not have him here. I feel like I can finally breath. I hope you are well xx

Whatdayisit Sat 28-Aug-21 11:45:28

Thank you yes I am. I hope you can tie some loose ends up and move on quickly and calmly. Have you many plans in place for moving forward?
I don't think the evenings closing in help with the anxiety and worry of an appearance. So I do hope legal processes keep him away.x

Lesley60 Sat 28-Aug-21 11:47:22

I don’t know if you have heard of it or if there is one in your area but the Freedom Project is very good, it’s a support group for women who have been abused in any way by men, it’s supportive and helps you regain your self confidence
You could only change the lock if you gave him a key, which obviously defeats the object, I would maybe leave a key in the lock so he is unable to put his in.
Wishing you lots of luck for the future, believe me once all the legal stuff is over and you can move on it will be so worth it ?

GillT57 Sat 28-Aug-21 13:39:10

Susysue, just a thought; if you 'lost' your door keys, it would be perfectly reasonable, in fact positively sensible to change the locks surely?

HurdyGurdy Sat 28-Aug-21 13:52:03

In terms of the nonsensical law that he can still have access to the marital home, therefore you can't change the locks without giving him a key (which makes a mockery of the reasoning behind changing the locks in the first place), a friend of mine was advised to swap the front door and back door locks around. That way, her abusive ex still had access to the home, but was unlikely to be able to get in.

He, at least, didn't have the brainpower to consider using the back door key in the front door.

You have been very brave to take the steps you have, and wish you all the very best for the future.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, and we can all look back with 20:20 vision and see where we went wrong.

You can't change the past, but you can control your future. I'm sure you will make the best choices for yourself moving into your new future.

Eloethan Sat 28-Aug-21 14:35:39

So sorry you have had to go through this awful situation. Please don't blame yourself for falling for someone so horrible. I believe abusers are often quite charming until their foot is in the door and I doubt that your experience is unique. You must not assume any blame whatsoever for finding yourself in this situation.

It might help to find evidence of and list all the contributions you have made to the home so that you are pre-armed if he tries to claim things that you have paid for.

You have taken the most important step and I hope that in time your life will get back to normal. Thank goodness you have the support of good friends and family. Forget nosy, horrible neighbours. They should have been a support for you during this time instead of gossiping and doing nothing.

Susysue Sun 29-Aug-21 15:03:53

Eloethan, yes I have made list of contributions made and my lawyer is dealing with it. Lesley60, yes I have just been told about the freedom project and plan to contact them . Trying to make some plans re where to move to, but limited at moment as cannot buy before I sell. Also received my citation about attending his trial as a witness late autumn. Dreading it. I am very lucky though to have 3 lovely AC and very loving friends. Thank you all for your kindness and caring xx

62Granny Sun 29-Aug-21 15:17:36

Definitely change the locks ,it isn't a huge job and can be done quickly, you may have cover under your insurance for this especially if you can get the police to say it is for your own safety. I am sure it will give you peace of mind. Next speak to your GP with regard to getting some counselling this will give you the strength of mind to be able to stand up in court . Gather your family & friends around you as much as you can and try move forward as much as you can what's happened has happened don't let it shape your life in the future but he wary of new relationships for the moment. You don't need a man to define you.