Gransnet forums

Relationships

Top 11 ways to have a healthy relationship in married life

(81 Posts)
muthublogger Sat 04-Sep-21 03:07:33

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 04-Sep-21 20:39:25

Laughing at yourself and with each other

Bluebellwould Sat 04-Sep-21 21:19:21

Appreciate what you have, not yearn for what you don’t.
Love each other, simples.

Mattsmum2 Sat 04-Sep-21 22:00:36

Live 150 miles from each other x

V3ra Sun 05-Sep-21 08:57:50

Learn to agree to disagree, and that your way isn't the only way to do something.

If we're having a robust discussion about something, our dog will move and sit as close as he can by the one he obviously thinks is right, looking reproachfully at the other one of us ?

LauraNorder Sun 05-Sep-21 09:03:02

1. Make sure you are up ten minutes before your dh to don full make up, including those lovely long eyelashes he loves.
2. Make sure the bacon is crisp as you lovingly prepare his breakfast.
3. Ensure the sleeve creases are even when you iron his shirts.
4. Be sure to dust the tv remote control before handing back to him.
5. Always show interest in his tales of the past.
6. Smile sweetly with a gentle tinkling laugh at his jokes. Never a raucous laugh.
7. Make sure that his meals are on the table at the correct hour and only serve his favourites.
8. Always have a cold beer in the fridge at the ready.
9. Prepare a bowl of warm water to soak his tired feet before giving him an aromatherapy massage to help him sleep.
10. Wear nothing but his favourite perfume in bed.
And finally …
11. Laugh with him not at him as he wakes from this dream with a stupid grin on his face. Then hand him a tissue to wipe the dribble from his mouth and tell him you’re ready for that nice cuppa he promised you before he nodded off.

Lucca Sun 05-Sep-21 09:10:02

Definitely not qualified to comment…except maybe “choose the right partner in the first place”

aggie Sun 05-Sep-21 09:10:21

Great post LauranNorder ???

TillyTrotter Sun 05-Sep-21 09:14:05

Spend time together and time apart. Have your own hobbies and keep in touch with your female friends.
And of course the old saying “never go to sleep on an argument”.
One or both of you needs to say “Sorry” first.

Grannybags Sun 05-Sep-21 09:52:25

My Mum used to say you had to "swallow gimlets"!

love0c Sun 05-Sep-21 10:07:32

As long as he does as he is told then there is never a problem! grin [ grin].

LauraNorder Sun 05-Sep-21 10:08:01

Just had to look up Gimlet Grannybags, lots of gin and lime…
Works for me!

Callistemon Sun 05-Sep-21 10:14:28

LauraNorder
???

Although No. 5 becomes more difficult as time goes on ?

Oldwoman70 Sun 05-Sep-21 10:14:52

Respect and a sense of humour

LauraNorder Sun 05-Sep-21 10:21:49

I know Callistemon, if I hear one more time how Orlin waded through the cakes in the back of the bakers van in his little red wellington boots…

travelsafar Sun 05-Sep-21 10:25:07

Separate bank accounts and respecting each others privacy ie telephone calls, post etc.

Giving each other some space within the home, everyone needs space at some point, not to do something but just to be alone.

Telling your partner I love you at least once a day and meaning it.

Shinamae Sun 05-Sep-21 10:29:48

LauraNorder

1. Make sure you are up ten minutes before your dh to don full make up, including those lovely long eyelashes he loves.
2. Make sure the bacon is crisp as you lovingly prepare his breakfast.
3. Ensure the sleeve creases are even when you iron his shirts.
4. Be sure to dust the tv remote control before handing back to him.
5. Always show interest in his tales of the past.
6. Smile sweetly with a gentle tinkling laugh at his jokes. Never a raucous laugh.
7. Make sure that his meals are on the table at the correct hour and only serve his favourites.
8. Always have a cold beer in the fridge at the ready.
9. Prepare a bowl of warm water to soak his tired feet before giving him an aromatherapy massage to help him sleep.
10. Wear nothing but his favourite perfume in bed.
And finally …
11. Laugh with him not at him as he wakes from this dream with a stupid grin on his face. Then hand him a tissue to wipe the dribble from his mouth and tell him you’re ready for that nice cuppa he promised you before he nodded off.

?????????????

Callistemon Sun 05-Sep-21 10:29:59

DH has been invited to another school reunion, LauraNorder, but other halves are invited; why, just why? ?
(We're not going.)

"Did I ever tell you about ....... "
Yes, about 1,000 times ?

LauraNorder Sun 05-Sep-21 10:32:21

Only a thousand, count your blessings Calli

Callistemon Sun 05-Sep-21 10:32:59

??

Lauren59 Sun 05-Sep-21 10:38:58

I’m grateful for the deleted original post because the replies here are very entertaining!

FannyCornforth Sun 05-Sep-21 10:56:54

LauraNorder

I know Callistemon, if I hear one more time how Orlin waded through the cakes in the back of the bakers van in his little red wellington boots…

Oh Laura, you can’t leave it like that!
Please do tell us Orlin’s cake anecdote! ?

Jaxjacky Sun 05-Sep-21 10:58:35

LauraNorder ????

Callistemon Sun 05-Sep-21 13:23:19

LauraNorder

Yes, we're all agog!

overthehill Sun 05-Sep-21 13:38:16

I say if you feel you have to work at your marriage then you are married to the wrong person. It's not supposed to be an endurance test.
We all have out faults, but if your partner's faults don't bother you then you are married to the right person

LauraNorder Sun 05-Sep-21 13:54:55

The baker was delivering cakes and bread to number 42, Orlin, aged about four, climbed in to the van and let off the handbrake, as it began to roll down the slight incline Orlin panicked and climbed in to the back of the van, wading through bread rolls and cream puffs, in his little red wellies trying to reach the open doors as the angry baker and his distraught mother chased the van down the road.
Orlin was apparently a very naughty boy in the 1950s.
This anecdote amused us all in the 1970s irritated us in the 1980s, embarrassed us in the 90s bored us ever after and has now been resurrected to amuse grandchildren until they too groan with the rest of us.