Gransnet forums

Relationships

Top 11 ways to have a healthy relationship in married life

(81 Posts)
muthublogger Sat 04-Sep-21 03:07:33

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Ladyleftfieldlover Sun 05-Sep-21 14:00:40

Something similar but true. My mum and stepfather used to run a village post office. We were visiting one Sunday with our three children aged 2, 4 and 6. The two year old had disappeared to be found in the sweet section stuffing himself with any number of chocolates etc. Apparently the door from the shop to the main house is supposed to be locked on a Sunday.

mokryna Sun 05-Sep-21 14:21:25

Both parties to respect each other. Treat the other as you would like to be treated.

Callistemon Sun 05-Sep-21 15:36:06

LauraNorder
I enjoyed it! (well, it was the first time I'd heard it ?)

LauraNorder Sun 05-Sep-21 15:42:55

Ladyleftfieldlover, I wonder if that little two year old now regales his wife and family with that anecdote?

Katie59 Sun 05-Sep-21 16:35:18

Lucca

Definitely not qualified to comment…except maybe “choose the right partner in the first place”

Not finding the right partner, that’s easy, “being” the right partner. Otherwise doing most things together, certainly not having many separate interests, that’s what sunk my marriage.

lemongrove Sun 05-Sep-21 16:40:12

The best way to keep a marriage going?
Easy....remember ( both of you) to use the three magic words regularly.... ‘you’re right dear!’?

Grannybags Sun 05-Sep-21 16:57:59

LauraNorder

Just had to look up Gimlet Grannybags, lots of gin and lime…
Works for me!

Sorry to disappoint LauraNorder she meant a very sharp tool (difficult to swallow!!) not the cocktail!

grannylyn65 Sun 05-Sep-21 17:14:02

Mindfulness was the most excruciatingly boring course I was sent on ?

grannylyn65 Sun 05-Sep-21 17:15:02

And I’ve been on many many!

Ashcombe Sun 05-Sep-21 17:49:29

Some have suggested separate bedrooms, others separate houses or living 150 miles apart. We've made a success of living in separate countries since we married nearly six years ago, with DH already having a home in rural France and me living in Torbay.

Each of us would regularly travel to visit the other. Covid put paid to these visits for several months and now Brexit has made it less straightforward for me to stay in France. My vicar describes it as a semi-detached marriage and seemed quite taken with the idea! It works for us. ?

FannyCornforth Sun 05-Sep-21 18:06:23

lemongrove

The best way to keep a marriage going?
Easy....remember ( both of you) to use the three magic words regularly.... ‘you’re right dear!’?

That is actually so true

FannyCornforth Sun 05-Sep-21 18:07:04

But not ‘easy’!

Harris27 Sun 05-Sep-21 18:12:03

Laugh a lot and keep talking.

annodomini Sun 05-Sep-21 19:04:11

Meet his parents before you commit to him!

Cabbie21 Sun 05-Sep-21 19:42:34

At a wedding recently, the oldest couple had been married for 63 years. Asked the secret of their success, the wife replied
“ just keep going.” Having reached 39 myself, I think there is a lot of truth in that, certainly these last 18 months.

Puzzled Sun 12-Sep-21 08:36:40

We have interests that we each pursue alone, and other things that we do together, (Although not always devastatingly interesting on some occasions, but go for the companionship)

We help each other, and show interest in what the other is doing or wearing.
We are interested in what our DD and GC are doing and try together or individually, to help them in whatever way we can.
And, yes, after nearly 58 years of marriage, we still enjoy making love.

Overall, probably you'd call it sharing our lives?

Ashcombe Sun 12-Sep-21 08:44:39

A wonderfully positive post, Puzzled! Thank you! ?

Hetty58 Sun 12-Sep-21 08:45:29

What exactly is 'mindfulness' - I'd love to know?

Oopsadaisy1 Sun 12-Sep-21 08:47:58

Be kind to each other.

Lucca Sun 12-Sep-21 09:52:39

Hetty58

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mindfulness

Callistemon Sun 12-Sep-21 10:23:18

Hetty58

If you want to know, you could do no better than to buy this book, Hetty58:
www.amazon.co.uk/Ladybird-Book-Mindfulness-Ladybirds-Grown-Ups/dp/0718183525?tag=gransnetforum-21
I bought it for a DD who is into mindfulness, she found it very useful ?

Other retailers are available.

henetha Sun 12-Sep-21 11:26:27

Live apart.

Melanie123 Fri 19-Nov-21 06:37:59

Has anyone started again in what might be considered late mid life?
I’ve been with my second husband for 10 years now, starting a relationship with him immediately after the break up of my first marriage where we had been together nearly 30 years with two daughters.
I can see in retrospect that this was a mistake and should have had some alone time to “find myself” first, but the love bomb he beguiled me with was irresistible.
How I long for those early days now.
We now sleep on separate rooms, he complains and makes a drama about everything. It’s all poor me and only does what he wants without any concession to others. I have a good relationship with his family whilst he constantly finds fault with mine. It’s causing a wedge between me and my eldest daughter who has my first grandchild.
I now watch tv in a different room as I can’t stand his obsession with news channels where he constantly rants at the commentators with his rather strong views on the world in general.
I retired early with a tiny pension but have agreed on an amount of money which would allow me to buy my own property. I wouldn’t have enough to live on so would have to find work until I qualify for my state retirement pension at 67 which is 10 years time.
I feel overwhelmed at the prospect and not how I imagined my life would turn out. I can see that I need to change things. How have others fared?

M0nica Fri 19-Nov-21 07:31:49

I do not think there are any rules, each couple have to work out their own rules. I have friends, male and female, who clearly live happily in marriages and with partners who would drive me to murder. And, at one point, had a friend who almost perched on our garden fence like a vulture, waiting for our marriage to break-up, because we conducted it in a way that flouted every rule she thought governed marriage.

FannyCornforth Fri 19-Nov-21 07:43:54

Melanie123 hello, you need to start a new thread about your situation, your post is going to get lost here