Gransnet forums

Relationships

My daughter was not invited on holidays.

(39 Posts)
Shanavine Tue 05-Oct-21 08:20:31

My 25 yr old daughter and her 4yr daughter, aka my granddaughter lives with me.
She is a second year college student.
I stay with them half the week, other half i stay with my partner.
That is just the best story.
My partners sister suggested we go on holidays together to Greece, for 10 days in the summer.
So it would be her, her husband, their kids 19,18.
My partner and me and her two kids 21, and 18.
So 7 of us in total.
We are all paying our own way.
Nobody once mention my two girls.
Even though they have came away with us on a staycation for 4 nights this summer.
And one night away also.
I haven't said anything yet
But i feel a bit put out.
I know she's 25 but she's a student, single mum.
I don't mind paying for them myself.
Thoughts?

CafeAuLait Tue 05-Oct-21 12:27:16

Maybe they want a smaller group? Maybe they don't want to deal with children on the holiday? Maybe they see it as giving you a break? Maybe they just want time with you undistracted?

I don't think they've done anything wrong. You could ask if you could invite your daughter along but be prepared for a no.

NotSpaghetti Tue 05-Oct-21 12:33:38

I think that asking puts them in an awkward position to be honest.
Saying "no" isn't easy.

It might make for a less happy trip if they accept them along with a bit of a grudge?

Hithere Tue 05-Oct-21 14:06:27

I agree with Bibbity and FarNorth

Are you invited by the host or you are a hostess of the vacation?

nanna8 Tue 05-Oct-21 14:12:27

Can someone at home mind the 4 year old and just the 25 year old go ? A lot of people don’t particularly like holidays with young children around because they need looking after and you can’t just relax.

Aldom Tue 05-Oct-21 14:20:01

paddyann54

Is this the same partner who wants you to split your money between her children and your daughter evenly? Although you haven't been together long and wanted you to stop helping your daughter and gc with housing? I really think this partner wants rid of YOUR family in favour of her own and this "holiday" is a step on the way .

A very interesting point. I too remember OP posting about this.

Doodledog Tue 05-Oct-21 14:33:47

I was about to say the same thing.

Obviously we only get a small part of any story on here, but from what we already know, the dynamics of this relationship appear to be very skewed in favour of your partner and her family at the expense of yours.

Is everyone paying for themselves?

FarNorth Tue 05-Oct-21 14:35:01

Is everyone paying for themselves?

Yes. It's in the OP.

BlueBelle Tue 05-Oct-21 17:28:04

I too remember some of your back story and it was very much that you were feeling it was not an equal partnership and I think this is just an addition I think you really need to sit down and have a long hard talk with your partner because you have had other things making you uneasy about the relationship before

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 05-Oct-21 18:44:46

Yes, I remember too, didn’t at first. It seems OP and partner are not on the same page and have a lot to discuss.

Allsorts Tue 05-Oct-21 18:49:47

I can’t see why they would expect your daughter and two granddaughters to go, it changes the dynamic of adult holiday.

welbeck Tue 05-Oct-21 19:33:26

there's more to this than meets the eye from OP.
see Paddyanne's point above.
don't put your head further in the noose, OP.

Doodledog Tue 05-Oct-21 19:34:57

It does change the dynamic of the holiday, but at the very least the daughter could have been invited. If she had to refuse for whatever reason, fair enough, but I would be hurt in the circumstances if my daughter was left out of something that included my partner's family.

I agree with the people who are saying that it's time for a serious discussion - not just about the holiday, but about the basis of the relationship. It worries me that you can see that there are issues with this and with the things you discussed in your last post, but you aren't able to discuss them with the woman you love.

Bibbity Tue 05-Oct-21 19:40:50

But why does it change anything?
How close are they to the daughter?

If the OP wants her daughter to have a holiday then organise one.

This all seems so enmeshed. She is an adult. It is expected to have a life independent of her.