Gransnet forums

Relationships

Matriarch

(39 Posts)
Chris4159 Tue 12-Oct-21 05:45:47

Hi all just need opinion from other's.
I have 3 daughter in laws. I thought they liked me as we all seemed to get on well. Other day I found out they find me intimidating and a matriach.
I have been so shocked as I am a friendly quiet and laid back person.
If they need help of any type, 're childcare,have 3 of them quite a lot 1 I have Grandson one day a week to give Mum time for herself. Others I do school runs everyday and have children on school holidays & over the weekend if they want to go out. If son's are short of money I will help them out. Etc etc. We do go out as a large family group quite often, but my husband says I shouldn't go as they don't want a 65 yr old tagging along with them and that I get too involved.
I feel I should back right off now. Yet they call me for advice, lifts, etc. Nott sure how to act now. As this has thrown me a bit. How would any of you react?

V3ra Tue 12-Oct-21 09:58:12

Also there are three daughters-in-law, but you only mention that one has made a comment. Are the other two quite happy with your level of involvement and relationships with them? If so don't let this revelation spoil that for the rest of you.

I always wished that our parents had wanted to be more involved with our children. I can literally count on the fingers of one hand how often they babysat for us over the years ?

Kate1949 Tue 12-Oct-21 10:00:23

It's a shock sometimes to realise people don't see us as we think they do. We only have a daughter. I thought we were close. It was a shock a few years ago when I realised that she thought differently. She began leaving me out, going out with her friends and their mums but not inviting me. I've never been pushy or given advice unless asked. We've helped in all sorts of ways. I don't know what we t wrong really.

PollyTickle Tue 12-Oct-21 10:40:45

Chris you sound like such a lovely person, one of life’s givers, trying to be everything to everyone.
You must have felt quite hurt to find that not everyone in the family felt the same closeness that you feel.
It could be that you are a bit too full on or it could just be that the particular daughter-in-law lacks self esteem and feels intimidated by a more capable and confident mother-in-law.
You sound like a very self aware lady and I’m sure you’ll sort things out without any upset, just a little adjustment.
As others have said, and there have been lots of wise words, take a little bit of a life of your own, friends, hobbies and closeness to your husband.

Peasblossom Tue 12-Oct-21 10:46:22

If there are three DILs then there at least three other families in the picture. Maybe OP you’ve only been seeing one as the family.

It’s just a thought. Perhaps they’d like their families to be more involved and you’ve been monopolising a bit?

Usually it’s the grandparents on the sons side that feel left out and that it’s the DILs family that is most involved, but I have seen it too with the mother’s of sons where the brothers get on well and the wives just become absorbed into the family.

Matriarch doesn’t mean you’re bossy or domineering, but maybe that by being constantly involved you’ve squeezed others out?

CafeAuLait Tue 12-Oct-21 10:52:28

My impression was all 3 DILs had said that they found OP intimidating and a matriarch (see OP)? If so, I'd be self-reflecting but try not to jump to conclusions. It might be something very small, like you are so organised and competent they find that hard to deal with. Or maybe you are a little overbearing? Are you hard to say no to? My mother sometimes thinks she's being helpful but sometimes she steamrolls people and doesn't let them say no, even though they actually don't want the help. They feel bulldozed and don't like what she did, but she feels like she was so helpful. They obviously can't have too big a problem given they let you care for their children and be involved.

Yammy Tue 12-Oct-21 11:03:34

A matriarch is a complement the bastion of the family always there in a crisis and can be called on to help. If your husband is ill and you have your mother it sounds as if you have had to be.
Your sons probably still view you like this and inadvertently make comments like "mum will help, "and maybe the wives are feeling a bit insecure. I think we all are worried about what the inlaws think of us when we are first married and have children.
Back off a bit put yourself first and don't always be available. Ask if your childminding is really needed and after Covid find some daytime activities so you are not always available.
When you go on family outings do you do a lot of the child care?
You will miss the grandchildren but find an excuse to decline and see how they cope on their own.
It sounds to me as if you have been a lovely mother, partner and daughter give yourself a break and let the families find out for themselves.flowers

Elizabeth27 Tue 12-Oct-21 11:54:50

In your post you stated that you help financially and with childcare. Do you have the opinion that because you do that they should let you tag along or maybe do they feel that they cannot say no incase you withdraw help with childcare.

I am not saying it is the case here but there are some on this forum that seem to think helping financially or with childcare gives them the right to interfere with the childrens lives and feeling hard done by if not included in everything. I feel time and money should be given without strings.

Smileless2012 Tue 12-Oct-21 12:01:11

I think your post is unfair Elizabeth. You're saying that you're not saying it is the case, but suggesting that giving financial help and helping with childcare may have strings attached ie will be withdrawn if Chris isn't involved in other ways.

Damned if you do and damned if you don't springs to mind.

travelsafar Tue 12-Oct-21 12:06:58

Chris4159 my heart bleeds for you. How hurtful and unkind.
Words can never be taken back and they leave unseen wounds inside. How can you possibly be your natural self around these people now knowing how they feel. I would decline any invites, cut back on childcare and not have enough money to help them out in the future. As others have said catch up with old friends, take up new hobbies that involve other people. If you have great organising skills, try WI or your local church very often they hold lunch clubs for the elderly and of course there is always volunteering. I hope you are not feeling too bad about yourself and that your not to upset either.

Hithere Tue 12-Oct-21 13:46:07

OP

You care for everybody around you (dh, mother, gc, etc)

What else do you do, just for yourself?

How do you see yourself as a person?

What is going to happen when the gc grow up and you are not needed for childcare?

Your sons and dils should be less reliant on you and self organize better.

Lots of parents do not have days off or organize themselves to give each other a break.

LovelyCuppa Thu 21-Oct-21 15:26:46

So many ways those comments could have been understood, so I'm not sure you'll ever get to the real meaning behind them.

Maybe try not to beat yourself up about it too much. You sound lovely and reflective and as others have said, a gentle step back sounds like a good idea.

The only thing I wondered is do you see yourself as the head of the family, and are acting in that way?

kircubbin2000 Thu 21-Oct-21 16:42:20

One of mine says I am lovely and always asks my advice.I never feel at ease with the other one as she is very touchy. She has often taken offence over small things and once held a grudge for 2 years refusing to speak to another family member who had innocently said the wrong thing.

silverlining48 Thu 21-Oct-21 17:36:41

Matriarch can be construed as female dominance over others, just like patriarchy which is male dominancy.
I would not necessarily take this as a compliment and would agree with responses suggested.
This doesn’t mean a fall out but your husband thinks you are too involved and should hold back, and he is probably right.
This grandparent business isn’t always easy and often means walking on the occasional eggshell, ouch!