Gransnet forums

Relationships

Silly, but really getting to me, advice please

(98 Posts)
Pukka Mon 04-Apr-22 18:56:07

This seems really minor, but I’m finding this really irritating!
My Mother in law keeps going on about a certain low price super market, I don’t happen to shop there, no real reason, just have my own preferences. But at every opportunity she says “oh you’d get that there so much cheaper” “ that’s what shopping in does xy or z is sooo much cheaper” I know it’s really petty but it is really starting to grind me down! I have said before I am happy where I shop, happy for her to shop where she likes, why the need to keep on going on about it!! Even in the middle of family get togethers I’m guaranteed at least one barbed comment …… what would you do or say, without causing ww3!!

Callistemon21 Mon 04-Apr-22 20:16:53

She's determined to keep suggesting that you try that supermarket
You're determined that you won't

Never the twain shall meet ?

ElaineI Mon 04-Apr-22 20:17:49

Just say you don't have time to shop around. My main shop is Tesco which is close to me. There is a co op I get some stuff in mid week as I can walk there and occasionally I use Aldi but it is further away and I don't have time to go to several shops. Nappies and wipes are from Aldi though but have always bought in bulk of those. DD1 gets things in multiple shops - BM stores, Aldi, Poundland, somewhere that has lots of frozen food but she likes shopping around. I think I used to but can't be bothered now.

Pukka Mon 04-Apr-22 20:18:46

And I have no problem with any supermarkets at all, just in the habit of shopping where I shop, not saying there’s anything wrong at all with budget supermarkets, I know some of what they stock are great, just happen to never have gotten into it, I may in the future ( I don’t actually care that much!) and I like to get my shopping delivered as it’s more convenient. Just fed up feeling so attacked lol

M0nica Mon 04-Apr-22 20:20:35

Why not just tell her that you choose not to shop in that shop, you prefer another, and how you spend your money is your business.

That can be said to someone politely, it doesn't have to sound rude.

eazybee Mon 04-Apr-22 20:57:49

Some people do have a missionary zeal about low price supermarket shops, and there is the veiled insinuation that you are wasting money which is probably what is irritating you.
Difficult to fend off without being rude.

Deedaa Mon 04-Apr-22 21:10:34

It's a long standing family joke that my father in law could have bought everything cheaper down the market. Christmas, Birthday, Father's Day - "Why did you buy me this? I could have got it much cheaper down the market"

Year after year we soldiered on trying to impress him, while trying to be enthusiastic about the presents he bought us "Down the market" which were sometimes hideous.

Shandy57 Mon 04-Apr-22 21:32:31

My friend was like that eazybee, she would do a forty mile round trip to a shop because the cheese was £1 cheaper. And my MIL was like that about Stockport market - it was cheap because it was tat.

Teacheranne Mon 04-Apr-22 22:20:25

Pukka

And I have no problem with any supermarkets at all, just in the habit of shopping where I shop, not saying there’s anything wrong at all with budget supermarkets, I know some of what they stock are great, just happen to never have gotten into it, I may in the future ( I don’t actually care that much!) and I like to get my shopping delivered as it’s more convenient. Just fed up feeling so attacked lol

There’s the answer, just tell her you are very busy and prefer to have your groceries delivered - which Aldi and Lidl don’t do..

JaneJudge Mon 04-Apr-22 22:25:15

I think i can be a bit like this about food but in different ways too
I suppose we are all irritating in our own ways! grin

Pukka Mon 04-Apr-22 22:41:54

I think it is the veiled insinuation that I am wasting money, easybee, hit the nail on the head.it's not worth falling out with her over, I just needed to vent! Teacheranne, that is the answer, I like my shopping delivered, although I have pointed that out too lol. I did have a giggle re the markets and the tat too in the posts above grin.
I just wish I was able to come back with some clever, but not rude ( even if I am saying worse in my head) come back, thanks for listening and cheering me up x

Pukka Mon 04-Apr-22 22:43:14

I of course meant "not" worth falling out over ha

M0nica Tue 05-Apr-22 09:13:25

When DD was at university, she prided herself on her bargain hunting skills, yellow stickers, £stores, Lewisham market at 4.00pm on a Saturday, she was there.

Her brother came to stay, also a student, and got so fed up of being told at every meal what a bargain every mouthful he ate was, that he ended treating them both to fish and chips, so he could have a meal with without a mouth by mouth commentary on what a bargain it had been, where she had gone, how much she had paid etc etc.

Pepper59 Tue 05-Apr-22 09:23:45

I'm with Casdon on this. I have one food intolerance and neither Aldi or Lidl stock everything I need. I prefer to shop at other supermarkets as it's all under one roof, and I don't want to spend extra money on petrol travelling between all these different supermarkets.

Redhead56 Tue 05-Apr-22 09:28:03

Maybe your mother in law doesn’t have much of a social life. Apart from shopping which she clearly enjoys and doesn’t get out much. She means well I am sure can’t you take it on the chin it’s just talk really.
It’s like having relatives as I have who constantly outdo people with worse ailments. If I have a cold my sister has flu. If I say my arthritic shoulder is bad she has it all over her back. I learnt to let it go in one ear and out the other for my sanity.

Pearlsaminger Tue 05-Apr-22 11:18:12

Next time she comes for dinner, make your normal ‘my supermarket meal…’

Then when serving dinner bring her out a same but different meal made with items from ‘her supermarket..’

Throw it on the plate so it looks unappetising and miserable..

Then tell her ‘Yes, I went to your supermarket. Your meal is made with their food. Our meal is made with items from my supermarket. Enjoy!

??????

PS: I’m joking!

Rosina Tue 05-Apr-22 11:21:40

I don't have a favourite but recently decided to waste half an hour of my life putting my typical 'shopping basket' into the Sainsbury's, Aldi, Waitrose and Tesco online shopping sites. The results were surprising; Tesco was the most expensive, Aldi cheapest, Waitrose was cheaper than both Tesco and Sainsbury's, but the difference between the most and least expensive shop was only about £2. Seems hardly worth shopping around given the price of petrol.

Alioop Tue 05-Apr-22 11:23:23

Pearlsaminger grin that's a good idea. You could give her some really disgusting wine too...

Smileless2012 Tue 05-Apr-22 11:24:47

Just smile and change the subject.

GraceQuirrel Tue 05-Apr-22 11:36:06

What’s wrong with being honest here? No I don’t want to go there and I will not be going there anytime soon so please don’t bring it up again. Those saying go just once, what on earth is that going to achieve?

Daisend1 Tue 05-Apr-22 11:45:21

Pukka
Ignore her .Your choice what you buy.

M0nica Tue 05-Apr-22 11:49:43

Callistemin21 No, my friend has always been a good cook and in the past we have eaten delicious food she has cooked, but since the transfer, made years ago when her DD was very short of cash when her DH was doing his probationary year as a policeman, to give them moral support, during a difficult year, she has stayed with them, she has no money problems.

Since then we have had croissants with the consistency of cake, rather than deliciously buttery flake pastry, and a gift of short bread, that tasted as if they were made with axle grease rather than butter, even the birds wouldn't eat them. and the packaging was twice the size of the contents, not usual with biscuits.

So Bluebelle we don't all just love Aldi and Lidl.

aonk Tue 05-Apr-22 11:57:55

There are lots of price match adverts on tv and one the papers especially between Aldi and Sainsburys. Perhaps you could refer her to one of these?

Lully5 Tue 05-Apr-22 12:01:54

I would develop an elephant skin and let it go over my head and also a possible answer is whatever I would save I would end up paying in Petrol and parking and also time.

Taichinan Tue 05-Apr-22 12:02:26

I know exactly what you mean! I have a friend who is forever telling me I should shop where she shops - much cheaper! But it's the opposite end of town and the extra cost of petrol would use up any savings! How about that for a reply? (I've only just thought if it myself - I must use it next time!!)

jaylucy Tue 05-Apr-22 12:16:18

I doubt if you are the only one that is being given this pearl of wisdom !
You don't need to reply when she says anything along these lines and hopefully she will get bored of her new "religion"!
I can remember an ex boyfriend coming out with " I had one of those but the wheels fell off !" , "You could have bought a new one for that" or "It will be nice when it's finished" for similar situations when someone was trying to be clever!