Gransnet forums

Relationships

Sex life over

(109 Posts)
Luckygirl3 Wed 13-Apr-22 22:23:30

snowberryZ

Probably not a popular opinion, but the way I look at it, we women often manage to find time to do things during the day that we 'don't want'
Cleaning the toilet, ironing, food shopping, to name a few. None of those things are pleasant.
So if you can find time to do those things, is it really so bad to find half an hour of your time once in a while to keep him happy?
For the sake of the marriage?

Good grief! - I would have hoped that having sex was in a different league from cleaning the toilet! It has to be mutually agreed and mutually pleasurable. Otherwise it is on the level of 2 dogs mating - we are humans for goodness sake.

No-one, male or female, should ever have sex when they do not wish to - there is a word for being forced to have sex against your will. There is more than one way to force someone to have sex against their will - it need not necessarily involve physical strength - it can involve emotional blackmail or sulking. Have a look on Mumsnet!

Clearly there is an incompatibility here that needs talking over; but in the final analysis, you should not agree to having sex with your OH if you do not wish to. Difficult for him if he feels differently, but he should not want to have sex with you against your wishes, or if he knows you are just going through the motions. That is far from normal.

The only way forward is by discussion to see if some sort of compromise can be found. I am sure he knows you are not enjoying it and do not want to do it, so he should not persist without engaging in a proper conversation with you about it to find out what YOU want.

I suffered for years with a man whose brain degenerative disease caused hypersexuality - I was under permanent siege - it was utter misery. There was no way of having a sensible discussion with him about it because the poor man was ill. You do have that option and that is the way to go.

I truly send you lots of good wishes and hope that you can have this discussion and reach a satisfactory arrangement that suits you both. Sexual incompatibility is very common indeed, so you are not alone. There will be a way forward.

JulesSquirrel Wed 13-Apr-22 22:07:04

Thank you

snowberryZ Wed 13-Apr-22 21:58:02

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Elizabeth27 Wed 13-Apr-22 21:40:16

You just have to tell him how you feel. It will be an awkward conversation but will not last long, whereas if you do not talk to him you will probably continue to have sex when you dont want to.

You have to be prepared though to take his wants and needs into account, a physical relationship maybe more important to him than your marriage.

So difficult when partners want different things, hope it works out for you.

JulesSquirrel Wed 13-Apr-22 20:57:42

Thank you, me too.

Oopsadaisy1 Wed 13-Apr-22 20:55:19

Hope it all works out ok.

JulesSquirrel Wed 13-Apr-22 20:37:12

Thank you for responding. I love him and care deeply for him. Very happy for kisses, cuddles, affection. Just don’t want anything sexual. We’ve built a home, family and life together and I don’t want to leave, it’s just the sexual side of things (lots of medical, physical and emotional reasons on my part).

Oopsadaisy1 Wed 13-Apr-22 20:32:14

If you mean no hugs, cuddles and non penetrative sex, then I think you will definitely hurt his feelings.
Maybe have a rethink about what you actually want.

JulesSquirrel Wed 13-Apr-22 20:22:28

Hello. I’m wondering how to explain to my husband without hurting his feelings that I no longer wish to have sex. Appreciate any wisdom from anyone who’s been through this. Thank you ??