Gransnet forums

Relationships

Is it normal behaviour?

(34 Posts)
itstormy Thu 16-Jun-22 12:35:49

My husband is late sixties as am I. Married 45 years.
He gets very "taken" with other women and always has. When he talks to them he clearly seems to be chatting them up and using obvious body language.
Other men say to me jokingly, you better keep an eye on him or similar.
I realise men are ruled by their hormones as are women.
Am I just being envious and jealous or is he stepping over a "married man" boundary. As far as I know he has not had an affair. He has always been loving towards me and still is.
Part of me wants to say I feel very uncomfortable about it. He definitely doesn't like confrontation and perhaps it's something I have to deal with in my own head?
Grateful of any thoughts.

Hetty58 Sun 19-Jun-22 00:45:25

(and) - a long time neighbour (married with family) is very flirty/touchy with me lately - so I just assume he's having some age-related problems, perhaps the start of dementia? I'm always backing away and asking after his wife.

imaround Sun 19-Jun-22 05:02:42

My husband is a flirt. Always has been. I am not bothered by it because I know he loves me. We are literally soul mates.
I just roll my eyes at him and make fun of him later.

Flippin2 Sun 26-Jun-22 07:40:44

I retired aged 64 in April, my husband (we've been together 9 yrs) is retiring this year. He wants us to move to the coast, I said I would even tho it means leaving kids, grandkids, two hours away. I moved away from my family when younger so I know life goes on and family is family, that's not my worry.. Its that we're bickering constantly, house looking is so stressful,I'm trying to be practical, he's all don't worry about it, just chill.. We have to be out of our home in 4 weeks and we have nothing lined up, we're going to be cash buyers as he has come into an inheritance so refuses to do anything about looking until money is in his account.. I'm so stressed, I'm packing up our home and don't know where we're going.. I'm a need to have a definite plan, kind of person, he's an everything will be fine, it will sort itself.. my eldest daughter has said the more he knows he's winding me up the more he'll do it and that I have to not react, which is far easier said than done for me...

H1954 Sun 26-Jun-22 08:00:08

How ever well your OH knows these women it isn't appropriate for him to physically touch them, whether you are present or not.

Time for a conversation with him expressing how his behaviour makes you feel as his wife and how these other women couple be feeling when he's talking to and touching them.

The time will come when he will touch the wrong person at the wrong time and someone will take defensive action and call him out.

Put yourself in the other women's position, being touch and subjected to someone sleazy behaviour is disgusting!

NotSpaghetti Sun 26-Jun-22 09:09:15

I would explain to him how his behaviour may come across to others.
"Times have changed" and some things are "no longer" acceptable.

Tell him he may be being "mis-read" by others and you don't want that to happen and for him to seem to be sleazy.
Good luck.

readsalot Sun 26-Jun-22 12:23:18

Maybe he just enjoys the company of women. If his behaviour hasn't bothered you before, why does it now? I feel sure that if he did or said anything inapropriate, one of the women would have commented by now. Most of us can tell a sleaze a mile off, but your DH doesn't sound like that at all.

Puzzled Thu 30-Jun-22 11:44:58

Some ladies actually welcome a short hug.
your DH may like them and is just to pleased to see them and have their company. He may be doing them a favour with a fleeting physical contact, purely out of friendship.
I can remember one lady telling the minister as he shook hands after the service "That's the first physical contact with another human being in a week".
There may be nothing in it, other than friendship, If so, don't deny your friends a seconds fleeting pleasure.

Madgran77 Thu 30-Jun-22 12:55:58

Flippin2you need to start a new thread and then people can advise. flowers