Gransnet forums

Relationships

Flying monkey - anyone aware of the term?

(106 Posts)
Golddustwoman Sun 14-Aug-22 14:31:57

Has anyone ever heard of a flying monkey before? One definition is when someone gets someone someone else to "perform their bidding' or in other words to their dirty work for them - for example an abuser gets others, friends and family for example to harass, intimidate or send messages on their behalf to the ex partner. So for example if the ex partner is avoiding them or not talking to them they will send others to give their message to them. On a lower level it happens in the playground when people fall out. Does anyone think they have ever been on the receiving end of a flying monkey or have they ever been a flying monkey?

VioletSky Thu 18-Aug-22 18:05:08

This is actually really helpful too. It explains when and how to go No Contact with an abusive person so that you can protect yourself and heal.

It also mentions flying monkeys

Hope it helps someone

www.supportiv.com/healing/go-no-contact-nc-without-guilt

Iam64 Thu 18-Aug-22 21:05:57

Bohemian - hope you’re ok and get good support in

DoNotDisturb Mon 29-Aug-22 22:55:47

Allsorts

Surely people that do that have some mental disorder. Think most people would know if they were being used.

Allsorts you've obviously not come into close contact with a Narcissist then!

red1 Thu 08-Sep-22 11:29:40

i was brought up by npds, not until my mid 50s did i realise why i could not make sense of my family, far too long.I thought i had the experiences to keep away from npds or at least learn how to deal with them,not so, i recently was a flying monkey for an npd who was very clever in his ways, only last week i realised his game, the result- he switched to being a victim!

boheminan Thu 08-Sep-22 12:06:04

I'm pleased this thread has been resurrected, I think it's useful and supportive and as I said before, I think it would be good if there was a 'support throughout abuse' thread on GN but it's too much to hope for.

As others have said, no one can know what living with a Narcissist is like unless they've survived it themselves. The Narcissist hides behind a mask of lies, which they've spent their lives perfecting, only at a late stage do they show their true face to their victim (and it is victim). I'm at the Flying Monkey stage, a frightening and insecure place to be.

It would be helpful if this condition were to be recognised. I've had to involve the police and social workers (violent ex Narc) but they won't/can't do anything (it's a domestic/civil case) unless his hands are round my neck, then I could phone for assistance ('excuse me, but would you mind letting go of my throat so I can get my phone to call the police'). I'm on a Police Protection list and thankfully he's moved out, but only down the road.

It would help so much to have someone out there to talk to. Yes, I go online, Quora are helpful, but actually having someone 'closer' that has or is experiencing the same living hell, would be a great mutual (hopefully) support...