Gransnet forums

Relationships

Thinking of leaving my husband after 45 years .

(31 Posts)
east12 Sun 11-Sep-22 21:16:17

I have been married 38 years to a absuive man, stayed because of culture, now I have had enough, he has started drinking more snd always wants to pick a fight,I guess I have stayed as I have always had the best of everything as he earns well , but I don't care anymore, I will be 65 this year., and wonder what life will be like on my own.

Startingover61 Wed 14-Sep-22 16:49:26

Speaking from experience, life will be much better! You will be free! I’m 64 and have been divorced for 5 years now. As others have said, you need to speak to a solicitor and get sound advice. Divorce is expensive but don’t let that put you off. Mine cost about £16K in the end because my ex-husband dragged his heels and tried to control everything. However, as it turns out, it was the best £16K I’ve ever spent!

Katie59 Wed 14-Sep-22 19:07:47

At 65 you are young, time spread your wings and live, you need to be outgoing with lots of activities even work to fill your time.

tickingbird Wed 14-Sep-22 19:36:30

Do it. Plan ahead and get your finances in order. You have a lot of living left to do. I wish you well flowers

TwiceAsNice Wed 14-Sep-22 20:36:47

Leave NOW! I left an abusive husband after nearly 42 years of marriage. I was 63. 6 years later I am so happy on my own with support from my family. I should have left years earlier. Like a previous poster said don’t be like me!

Alioop Wed 14-Sep-22 20:44:29

A lot happier and you will worry a lot less, well that's how I feel east12. You have been married a lot longer than I was, but please don't waste anymore of your life with this man.
My ex had a great job, we had the big house, cars, holidays, but what is the point of it all when you are unhappy. I promise you that you will get through it all and come out the other side far happier. Honestly.
I've been in my own now for 12 years, no more men, dogs are far better companions.
Hope you make the right decision, it's time for you now to be happy, you deserve to be ?