Gransnet forums

Relationships

What do I do with a husband , he's 77 & I'm 78, who shouts at me.

(41 Posts)
Meer13511 Wed 16-Nov-22 13:04:22

This morning it was because I'd opened the bedroom windows left the radiator on and the door open which I usually shut.

Redhead56 Tue 22-Nov-22 09:30:07

Either stand and argue with him (which he might like) or do the opposite. Take yourself out if you are able retail therapy gets your mind off a grumpy husband.

Caleo Tue 22-Nov-22 10:18:32

Do a Hitler imitation for him.

nadateturbe Tue 22-Nov-22 10:34:20

I assume he knows you're not happy with this.
I think I would create my own comfortable space and go there as soon as he shouts. Ignore him, perhaps make your own meals and take them there. And let him see you're serious.
Its difficult to call it a day when you are older, but at least you'll have peace and quiet this way.

Glorianny Tue 22-Nov-22 11:12:59

You could try "I'm sorry I can't hear you." said quietly but firmly when he pauses for breath. He will likely shout again. Repeat the phrase until he can't shout anymore. Then say very quietly "If you want me to hear you you will have to speak quietly. Now what was it you wanted?"
If he doesn't work out that shouting at you is no use and continues to do it, leave him.

DeeDe Tue 22-Nov-22 11:19:22

If his always been a good loyal husband and still is in meny ways
I’d put it down to his age or health…
Try talking about it.

Hithere Tue 22-Nov-22 11:22:49

"Do a Hitler imitation"

With the evidence we have on this thread, I am sure comparing a mass murderer with this hisband is a worthy comparison z a very questionable one in fact

nadateturbe Tue 22-Nov-22 11:40:50

If he doesn't work out that shouting at you is no use and continues to do it, leave him.

Not easy at 78. I would look for a way to cope.

Horti Thu 24-Nov-22 06:11:49

Looking at all the comments there is a lot about coping with his anger
How many of us are having to pussy foot around these dreadful old men and their dreadful behaviour
And we don’t speak about it openly
Thank goodness for this outlet
They need to know their behaviour is unacceptable and amounts to bullying and harassment
As mentioned the need for peace and harmony is so important
They disrupt our peace and often don’t care that they do getting a kick from our discomfort
There needs to be a public awareness campaign on this I think it’s very widespread but concealed

Shill29 Sun 12-Feb-23 19:14:38

If this is recent behaviour, he may be losing his hearing, need hearing aids and not realise he is shouting. ?
I had this problem with my old man!

Serendipity22 Sun 12-Feb-23 20:01:17

Cant agree more with Pythagoras post.... but i also have to add, has this behaviour happen recently? I would also say to keep a mental note of other changes in his behaviour ( if this shouting is a change in his behavior )

Franbern Mon 13-Feb-23 09:13:25

Personally, I think that with current fuel costs, I would also shout at someone who left a radiator on and then opened a window!!!! It is careless, to say the least. And can be more than annoying if he is the one trying to balance household costs.

Okay, I accept that 'shouting' is not a good thing, but if this has happened previously, and he has repeated to her to be careful about fuel costs, trhen perhaps he shouted in exasperation. Who knows?

notgran Mon 13-Feb-23 09:22:28

Franbern

Personally, I think that with current fuel costs, I would also shout at someone who left a radiator on and then opened a window!!!! It is careless, to say the least. And can be more than annoying if he is the one trying to balance household costs.

Okay, I accept that 'shouting' is not a good thing, but if this has happened previously, and he has repeated to her to be careful about fuel costs, trhen perhaps he shouted in exasperation. Who knows?

Thank goodness for your post Franbern those are my thoughts exactly.

Juliet27 Mon 13-Feb-23 09:24:36

This seems to be a return to an old thread. My comment back in November agrees with your thoughts here Franbern.
Some rather drastic solutions were given to the OP - wonder how she dealt with her problem!

Warbler Sun 19-Feb-23 04:18:19

Relationships change all the time don't they. Perhaps he is going a little deaf, a bit forgetful himself and doesn't want to admit it, so likes to draw attention to when you forget things. It's not very nice is it...being shouted at all the time. Tell him how it makes you feel and that you don't like it and if he continues to shout at you, you will find something else to do on your own for the rest of the day. Make sure you do just that. Start to think about things you could do so that you have something in mind when it next happens. Good luck.

glammanana Sun 19-Feb-23 09:15:26

Horti

Looking at all the comments there is a lot about coping with his anger
How many of us are having to pussy foot around these dreadful old men and their dreadful behaviour
And we don’t speak about it openly
Thank goodness for this outlet
They need to know their behaviour is unacceptable and amounts to bullying and harassment
As mentioned the need for peace and harmony is so important
They disrupt our peace and often don’t care that they do getting a kick from our discomfort
There needs to be a public awareness campaign on this I think it’s very widespread but concealed

Just couldn't agree more so much is swept under the carpet and women are expected to put up with it from these grumpy old men I certainly would not put up with it if it was not a medical problem you deserve peace and quiet as you get older can you not sit him down and tell him this.