Gransnet forums

Relationships

MIL

(41 Posts)
Crusher Sat 19-Nov-22 19:43:04

Back ground info.

2nd Marriage, 2nd MIL, own parents have died, first in laws died. MIL is not gran to my children, is to hubbies children. All children adult.

MIL visited both yesterday and today as was hubby's birthday. I'm always happy to see both MIL and FIL, both elderly with health problems.

This year I have had health problems, and family problems. Eldest son's wife died of alcoholism, leaving a lovely daughter. 2nd son has marriage problems, I could go on.

I am a normally a very patient, chatty and helpful person, life is too short, to waste energy on anger, my MIL does nothing but criticise my way I do things around the house, how I talk, my weight, anything she can think of. She is very self centred, always talking about her ills and woes. FIL is lovely, totally different.

The last couple of visits my MIL has gotten to me, I normally let it go over my head, whatever she says. I was quite upset, told hubby, I'm sick of the criticism. He just said everyone gets criticism, but I'm sick to death of it now. The day after we married, I heard the conversation she had with hubby, and she said I looked fat at my wedding. That really hurt, because at 62, I feel I'm passed all this and have always been adult about it. It's hubby's mum, and I don't want any badness, but I just seem to attract it. I miss my parents lots, and think my hubby is so lucky to have his parents around, I'm at the point I don't want anything to do with MIL.
Any ideas, on how I can push this aside, as I have more important things to worry over.
Thank you

mumofmadboys Sat 19-Nov-22 19:57:26

If she says something like 'you look as if you have put on weight' could you say 'Pardon I missed what you said ' and let her repeat it 2 or 3 times and then say smiling 'Gosh that isnt a kind comment . I'm sure you didnt mean to sound unkind' and walk away. Repeat as often as necessary and she should soon get the message! Good luck.

Wyllow3 Sat 19-Nov-22 19:57:41

It always astonishes me how some people feel they have the right to do this. it seems as if your husband is so used to his mum he really doesn't notice, is immune to it, he's developed strategies just to ignore. I would want him more on my side to gently ask his mum not to say this or that.
Evade her as much as possible in being alone with her?

I honestly dont know if I'd have the courage to challenge her, as in, "please don't say that: its hurtful: I've got x and y health problems, and I've got x and y family problems to try and take care of" etc.

TerriBull Sat 19-Nov-22 20:13:31

I'd say this to her when she makes her next nasty remark, hopefully when the rest of the family are there "you are being unnecessarily personal and unpleasant, when you do so you hurt my feelings" I'd walk out of the room and let her chew that over, she needs shaming. Good luck.

hollysteers Sat 19-Nov-22 20:19:15

As nobody is perfect, think of all her faults, physical and otherwise and give her a dose of her own medicine as a riposte.
You might enjoy it, I would!👍

Lathyrus Sat 19-Nov-22 20:20:18

Some people just get into a pattern of negative comments. And generally old people don’t get challenged on their negativity. Everyone makes allowances because they are old. It’s not good for us to be indulged! 😬

I found the “broken record” very effective with one relative.

“You’re getting fat.”
“That’s a rude thing to say”

“This room needs dusting”
“ That’s a rude thing to say”

“For goodness sake speak properly”
“That’s a rude thing to say.”

If nothing else she get bored.

When it comes to the ills and woes, I’m afraid you do have to put up with that. It’s one of the main topics of conversation with old people 🙄😬

Hithere Sat 19-Nov-22 20:30:54

You have a husband problem- he doesnt see how offensive it is

Anybody exhibiting that behaviour wouldnt put a foot in my home - her darling son cam go and visit her himself

Hetty58 Sat 19-Nov-22 20:43:04

My own mother was just like that - always found fault and criticised everyone. (I expect your husband is very used to it so doesn't notice or react.) My father said it was because she 'needed' to put others down - in order to feel superior and secure herself. I did limit contact (as an adult) and viewed her as ill, rather than nasty. I certainly didn't believe she'd ever change, but must admit I did resort to laughing at her comments and calling her a joker. It's easier to change your own attitude than somebody else's behaviour.

Crusher Sat 19-Nov-22 20:53:12

Well, thank you for your thoughts so far. MIL also blows hot and cold. I do tend to avoid her, but FIL is so easy to chat too.
I thought I had trained myself to rise above MIL. Because of what has gone on, I sometimes feel very vulnerable anyway, and sad, thats I suppose why she does it. We have nothing in common, but her son, and son is very much of the idea, she is old, take no notice.
I will definitely take on board your thoughts.

notgran Sat 19-Nov-22 21:15:41

If people, be they related to me or not, are rude to me, I have no problem with saying something, probably ruder, back to them. I find that method is very effective.

Hithere Sat 19-Nov-22 21:27:40

Dont be fooled about fil - he wery well know how she is and enables it

He is not that outstanding and nice

Ali23 Sat 19-Nov-22 21:39:49

My counsellor once suggested that i just said ‘ouch’ and moved on.

Hetty58 Sat 19-Nov-22 21:41:17

When somebody is mentally ill and/or very old, it's not about correcting their behaviour - or expecting others to - it's just a case of ignoring it!

VioletSky Sat 19-Nov-22 21:55:58

Please don't think you need coping mechanisms to deal with this behaviour. I don't think there is anything really that stops it hurting.

That's just not fair on you.

It's too easy to think that if we could just be stronger we could handle it but the truth is, there is nothing wrong with you exactly as you are, the problem is your MIL.

You don't have to engage with people who are toxic to your metal health.

If you want to avoid them completely and just let husband have a relationship with them, that is OK.

Crusher Sat 19-Nov-22 22:08:38

Thank you for all the advice, I do think of MIL as old and ill. Going forward, I wont be so kind towards her, and just avoid that person altogether.

Bibbity Sat 19-Nov-22 22:18:13

"Bold of you to criticise me MIL considering the absolute state you've left your house in today"

Trust me it works.

welbeck Sat 19-Nov-22 23:55:51

tell her to f--- off

mumofmadboys Sun 20-Nov-22 07:09:07

I like the 'ouch' response or even 'meow'!

Oopsadaisy1 Sun 20-Nov-22 07:11:21

She might be old and ill, but she’s also nasty.

Get your husband to visit them, keep her out of your house, tell your husband to give your love to his Father.

If they visit, either take your FIL out for a walk and a chat or go out yourself until she has gone.

It’s a pity that your husband is so used to her that he can’t see a problem.

LRavenscroft Sun 20-Nov-22 07:20:31

I am really sorry that you are having to go through this. Please also think of the future of your own health and well being. Do you really need to put up with this? I have an aunt who is incredibly rude and drags up stuff from 60 years ago. Sorry to say I have nothing to do with her now. I just can't hack it any more. Please look after yourself and there is some good advice on here.

PoppyBlue Sun 20-Nov-22 08:19:14

'It looks like you've put on weight'
'How weird, I was just about to say the same to you.'

But I'm petty. Mumofmadboys is a great idea!

V3ra Sun 20-Nov-22 09:51:02

She'll know she's being rude to you.
How about a bit of sarcasm in your reply:
"Are you this polite to everyone or is it only me?"

Caleo Sun 20-Nov-22 10:01:48

I agree with Lathyrus "That's a rude thing to say" i.e the broken record technique.

However you want to keep the peace so can you do the broken record in a lighthearted phrase with a broad smile? EG "F off!" with a broad grin. Or whatever sort of language is acceptable in your family circle .

"You don't say!"

"You're so observant!"

"It's not!"

"I'm okay."

mumofmadboys Sun 20-Nov-22 20:04:29

Or following rude comment by MIL say ' Well I am SO glad your son fancies me just the way I am !' and give her a big wink!

pascal30 Sun 20-Nov-22 20:13:59

Refuse to feed her, say you're on a diet thanks to her remarks...