Gransnet forums

Relationships

A romantic proposal of marriage.

(107 Posts)
Yammy Mon 09-Jan-23 16:31:32

If you have been proposed to was it romantic and did you accept?
I have been proposed to twice in my life {not boasting] once after a whirlwind romance. It took part on a dark night in the middle of a foot bridge over a lovely river. With spires and medieval buildings all around us.The perfect setting and the promise of a life of bliss.
The other was after a ball. Three sheets to the wind in a long dress and high heels,I was challenged to balance along a long low wall outside a public building and promised a ring the next day, I said I would try if the proposer did first and succeded.
Which do you think I accepted?wink

GrannyZoom Wed 11-Jan-23 14:50:15

My first proposal, seemed romantic at the time, but only lasted seven years and two children.
I then met the love of my life, we lived together with the children and after a coupleof years he said he'd booked the registry office so we could get married, yippee, no wedding ring and strangers off the street as witnesses, it didn't matter.
After over forty years of marriage he sadly died in 2020. I still feel so lonely without him and miss the happy retirement we could have had.

TerriBull Wed 11-Jan-23 14:26:50

Only twice sad I think I should have put myself about more.

A friend of mine got proposed to on holiday by her then boyfriend, who even produced the ring. They almost got to the altar but she got cold feet. Years later she said when he did propose we were sitting on an idyllic beach her thoughts were "oh shit if I say no, I'll ruin the rest of the holiday, we've only just arrived" and then somehow she was swept along with it all in the aftermath. Coupled with his fine planning the wedding arrangements, which bored her rigid, and him suffering a sports injury on the rugby field whereby she found herself thrown together in his company more than she would like to have been, all in all she knew what she had to do and she finally plucked up the courage to call the whole thing off.

Frankie51 Wed 11-Jan-23 14:11:41

4x. First one I married, and we lasted 10 years . He had affairs . I was proposed to next by the solicitor dealing with my divorce .I turned him down, but he never billed me , which was a bonus . I had vowed never to marry again , but my next partner wanted to marry .We did, he turned out to be unfaithful and we divorced after 10 years. My next partner proposed on Valentine's day in a Chinese restaurant , and we've been together 28 years and still happy.

NanKate Wed 11-Jan-23 14:06:33

Two proposals, accepted the second one but said I was in no hurry to get married. My parents and sister did not approve and my mother made it clear it was a big mistake. We celebrate 52 years together this year. 🥳🥳

Still in touch with the chap who proposed first, just as a friend.

Jonah Wed 11-Jan-23 14:06:27

I was told I was the one on the first date; we'd only met less than 24 hours before. Three months later, he returned from a forces exercise, having saved enough of his salary to buy me a beautiful diamond and sapphire ring. We were fortunate. On New Year's Eve it was 50 years since we first met.

polly123 Wed 11-Jan-23 14:04:58

Four times here (trying not to boast) with the last being the right one! Not four marriages though I should add.

Bijou Wed 11-Jan-23 14:02:16

I wish I had not accepted the first one because the marriage ended in divorce. My second one we were sitting in a pub and he suddenly said Let’s get Married. Too poor as just out of the Forces so no ring. Twenty fifth anniversary he said he would buy the ring he couldn’t afford at the time but I said I would sooner have a new motor mower to cut the half acre of grass rather than lying on a strained back admiring a ring.

grandtanteJE65 Wed 11-Jan-23 13:58:04

DH went down on one knee and asked me to marry him in a crowded restaurant where he had taken me for dinner.

Fortunately, I was in no doubt about saying yes. It would have been disasterously awkward refusing a man in a crowded restauarant where both guests and waiters were minding our business!

I can't remember if my first boyfriend proposed, or not. I was barely 15 when we met, he 17, but long before my 16th birthday I had decided he wasn't the right man.

Years later I had what at the time I took to be a not very serious proposal from a man I only knew very slightly from an evening school class we both went to. Looking back, he may well have been more serious than I thought then, but there was something he wasn't telling me then, and I never found out what it was. He may have been married, but more likely a closet gay.

I am still glad DH proposed and I said yes.

Witzend Wed 11-Jan-23 13:56:52

Although dh’s proposal wasn’t in the least romantic (as per pp) and he’s not generally at all that way inclined, he did really astonish me a few years ago by turning up with a beautiful bouquet of flowers.

It wasn’t my birthday or Valentine’s Day (the only times he’d brought flowers before) so I was nonplussed - until he said,
‘It’s 50 years to the day since we met.’

Talk about stunned! Although I remember the occasion very well, I couldn’t even have said what month it was!
(And now I’ve forgotten again…)

inishowen Wed 11-Jan-23 13:39:44

We were teenagers when he proposed. We known each other about 6 weeks. We were standing outside H. SAMUELS when he asked me. I said yes and we went straight in and bought the ring. We've been married nearly fifty years!

TanaMa Wed 11-Jan-23 13:32:36

On the Portsmouth to Gosport ferry when my gorgeous Matelot (R.N. sailor - Fleet Air Arm) told me if I said yes he would spend his 'red sports car' savings on my ring. We were together for nearly 50 years until his early death. Would marry him again tomorrow!

GrammyGrammy Wed 11-Jan-23 13:18:30

The drunken man who wanted you to be more than you were already and risk more including hurting yourself in order to win him can go away (sociopath?)....the romantic bridge one accepts you as you are and wants to please you. Him please.

NannaFirework Wed 11-Jan-23 13:09:43

The 2nd!
I have been proposed to 4 times and married 3 times 🙈 I’m 63 this year.
Now with long term partner who has been separated from his Wife for 12 years plus, she’s happily settled too but they aren’t divorced - we are all getting older and have Wills in place but I can see things getting complicated legally (next of kin, etc) but sorry I’m taking away from the romantic, fun element of this thread!

missdeke Wed 11-Jan-23 13:04:48

I was proposed to by a man I was seeing in Turkey, however, I knew it was so he could get a visa to the UK so I declined.

Minerva Wed 11-Jan-23 12:47:39

4 times and I’m not boasting. I was young and too keen to get married. Number 1 was after 3 years together and was more resigned than romantic. The engagement was a good thing as we both saw the error of our ways and parted. No. 2 was romantic and heartfelt but I said No. I knew my parents wouldn’t approve. I was fond of him but not enough in love to stand up to my father. No.3 was not a romantic chap but bought me a beautiful ring from an antique shop which was romantic and we were happy for a couple of years but I wanted more excitement in my life than holding hands in a pub. No 4 was no more romantic but shared my dreams of travel and he was the only one I ever lived with. No bended knee and no ring either. I got the travel, exciting years living and travelling out of the U.K, marriage along the way and eventually a nice home and children but no romance and years of his cheating. I knew I had make a mistake but the children anchored me. So glad when he moved on in our late 60s to a younger woman (that didn’t last long I am told).

Should have stayed with Number 3 who I still dream of.

Tempest Wed 11-Jan-23 12:47:02

Twice. First time, romantic Mediterranean island, holiday romance, our families were old friends everyone very happy. Accepted, then broke his heart when I returned to UK to my dream job. Second time, tall, very handsome, charismatic young man. Midsummer Night ball. Accepted. 30 years later broke my heart. Divorced him when I found out he was a compulsive liar and a cheater. Both still around first one happily married, now mayor of his home town. Second one married older affair partner who has pots of money but he is still constantly texting me to tell me how miserable his life is and how wonderful I am. Romance, good looks and charm are overrated.

GrandmaCornwall Wed 11-Jan-23 12:46:48

We met at 17 and just knew we wanted to be together forever, our Christmas together he bought me a teddy bear as I had never owned a one and inside the zip on the bear’s neck was my engagement ring. For my 18th birthday he bought me a teasmade and and a wooden hairbrush set( which I still have) He said he was no good at getting up in the morning and making tea, which proved true !
No romantic proposal, but his gestures are worth more. Still together after 47 years. He brings me a drink every night and a snack served on a plate with a serviette which suits me fine.

springishere Wed 11-Jan-23 12:45:49

I forgot the two who said individually: "I'd ask you to marry me if I wasn't married already"!

Yammy Wed 11-Jan-23 12:44:30

AussieGran59

Aren’t you going to tell us, Yammy? I can’t decide between your two as both sound great.

I will tell eventually and just say it's 50 years next year my FIL said on an actual day "I'll give it 18 months".I would love to show him how wrong he was.

springishere Wed 11-Jan-23 12:43:59

Three and a half - the half I could see coming and changed the subject quickly. The first one very romantic under a tree on the Surrey downs. He died after a happy seven years and two children. Second one on the phone: "I think it's time we got married". That lasted 47 years until he died and I miss him so much.

Granarchist Wed 11-Jan-23 12:39:38

I had my engagement ring stolen in Portobello Road - 1974 - still sad about it.

Sleepygran Wed 11-Jan-23 12:28:07

3 proposals, all turned down by me.
My dh didn’t propose, we wanted to live together but he said his parents would go mad if he did that and then said ‘so I suppose we should get married, it would save a lot of hassle’!

Tree71 Wed 11-Jan-23 12:23:43

I have been proposed to twice and accepted both.

The first was ‘are we getting married then or what?’ while just sat in the car. I divorced him after 11 years.

The second was at Piccadilly Circus at night, in the rain. Still going strong after 15 years.

Lynjun40 Wed 11-Jan-23 12:17:14

Hubby sent me on a treasure hunt around the house. It was really lovely and ended up with me going to the kitchen, where he was on one knee. Been married now, for 26 years.

bobbydog24 Wed 11-Jan-23 12:15:20

Not a romantic proposal, just said do you want to get engaged. Wedding was planned but I got pregnant so my mum insisted it was brought forward, quickly and no fuss. We had just celebrated our golden wedding when he died. Who said it wouldn’t last.
Miss him more than words can say.