Gransnet forums

Relationships

A romantic proposal of marriage.

(107 Posts)
Yammy Mon 09-Jan-23 16:31:32

If you have been proposed to was it romantic and did you accept?
I have been proposed to twice in my life {not boasting] once after a whirlwind romance. It took part on a dark night in the middle of a foot bridge over a lovely river. With spires and medieval buildings all around us.The perfect setting and the promise of a life of bliss.
The other was after a ball. Three sheets to the wind in a long dress and high heels,I was challenged to balance along a long low wall outside a public building and promised a ring the next day, I said I would try if the proposer did first and succeded.
Which do you think I accepted?wink

Yammy Thu 19-Jan-23 20:35:04

LauraNorderr

Parked on Parbold Hill on Christmas Eve 1969 in Orlin’s maroon Ford Cortina. You Were my Thrill on Blueberry Hill 🎶 was playing on the radio. He asked me if I fancied going in to town next morning to choose an engagement ring. I said yes of course. He still sings You were my thrill on Parbold Hill to me 🎸🎶 ❤️

You couldn't get more Romantic than that laura Norder. Mine usually sings me Silent Night every Christmas Eve in German We were at DD this year so he whispered it in bed as we tried to get warm in the attic.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 19-Jan-23 20:24:14

Sat opposite each other at work, conversation went something like DH ok we should probably get married it makes the business, house and children(4) less complicated, me Friday 13th is good for me, DH yep looks good here

Romantic no, but it worked for us, child No.5 has never forgiven us for marrying before she was born 🤣🤣🤣🤣

LauraNorderr Thu 19-Jan-23 19:28:47

Parked on Parbold Hill on Christmas Eve 1969 in Orlin’s maroon Ford Cortina. You Were my Thrill on Blueberry Hill 🎶 was playing on the radio. He asked me if I fancied going in to town next morning to choose an engagement ring. I said yes of course. He still sings You were my thrill on Parbold Hill to me 🎸🎶 ❤️

LOUISA1523 Thu 19-Jan-23 19:22:36

Im 58....Never been proposed to....never been married...been with my partner since 1986

stillaspringchicken Thu 19-Jan-23 19:12:24

Never been proposed to but I have done the proposing, and very nerve-wracking it was too! (he said yes)

Deedaa Thu 19-Jan-23 10:37:26

DH said he wanted to marry me after our second date in 1969. After another 3 months we decided that perhaps we might give it a go. I remember him asking my father for my hand - I was 23 and my father was only to glad to get rid of me grin

AmberSpyglass Thu 19-Jan-23 10:31:05

Not romantic at all, because I realised what was about to happen and ruined it by repeating “are you about to propose?” until she said “Only if you stop ruining it and let me talk for a minute.”

Best moment of my life.

TwinLolly Thu 19-Jan-23 10:28:52

DH proposed to me on a glacier in Juneau. Not with an engagement ring but with a small ornamental glass slipper. He said that I had small feet and that he knew that the glass slipper wouldn't fit - but asked if I would be his wife! I have small feet (UK 2 /EU 34).

Who needs an engagement ring?! The glass slipper has its pride of place on the Welsh dresser - a reminder of my husband's love for me.

Magrithea Sat 14-Jan-23 12:05:02

I've only had one proposal from DH - it was after his (and my) best friends wedding and I was emotional about 'losing' my friend to marriage. His exact words were "Perhaps we'd better get married"! I did make him do it 'properly' later though

DD's husband took her to the Savoy Grill on a weekend away in London and got down on one knee in front of the assembled diners! We had known for a month as he'd asked DH first and then was posted away for a month!

nightowl Thu 12-Jan-23 16:13:40

I’ve never had a proposal. I proposed on New Year’s Day 1972, by letter, because it was a Leap Year. (I believe you’re supposed to wait until February 29th but I didn’t know that then). I did it by letter because we were students and home for Christmas, so separated by 150 miles.

Anyway, he didn’t seem all that keen but he did buy me an engagement ring and we got married three years later. He moaned about the ring because he was saving up for something, so I bought him an engagement present to compensate. Who said romance is dead? grin

BlueSapphire Thu 12-Jan-23 15:29:57

I think you accepted the second proposal!

Only one proposal for me - in a Chinese grocery store in Singapore, about two months into the relationship. I accepted, we lived together in sin and married three years later on our return to the UK. Had been together almost 49 years till he died in 2018. Just miss him so much.

Gabrielle56 Thu 12-Jan-23 15:21:11

#1spouse asked me what I'd say IF he said he loved me? Strange but true! Lasted 18 rotten years of him draining me and my Dosh glands! #2 current beau? He's my non related cousin and adored me all his life! He asked and asked over 3+ years in end I gave in! He's also funny and annoying and....mine! 25 years on this year and he's out in freezing cold and damp fitting me a dusk to dawn light aside path so I don't fall in bushes on way to bin🤣🤣 a diamond!

harrigran Thu 12-Jan-23 12:48:20

Not a proposal as such, one night we were sitting talking and he said we had been dating for two years so perhaps we should get engaged. I was nineteen and training as a nurse, I agreed to get engaged but would not marry until I had finished my training. We did everything as planned and had 58 wonderful years together before he was cruelly taken from me.
One boyfriend, one proposal.

Justhavingacuppa Thu 12-Jan-23 08:15:26

Never been proposed to although we’ve been married 27 years. Had been together 5 years and we broke up. 10 months later he wanted to get back together again. I said only if we were going to make proper plans ie marriage, children etc.
We were married and had our first child within a year 😀

GrammaH Wed 11-Jan-23 21:55:51

My first proposal was from somebody I'd met briefly on a school field trip when we were both 17. We were from different parts of the country & kept in touch by letter. We went to universities about 50 miles apart & he turned up at my room one Saturday afternoon when we'd have been about 19. He asked me to marry him....and I laughed! Poor chap, it was awful of me but I just didn't think he was serious. Of course, we then lost touch but have recently found each other again. I've been very happily married for 42 years to the man who proposed to me whilst I was trying to teach him the waltz in my parents' front room. Sadly, the original proposer was recently widowed. It's been nice to fill in the intervening years. I don't know if he remembers the proposal!

Alittlemadam Wed 11-Jan-23 21:12:05

Not a formal proposal in fact it wasn’t a proposal at all. He pulled a ring out of his pocket and went shall we get engaged and just gave me the ring. I was so shocked I said yes and we are still as strong when we first met

Smiffy58 Wed 11-Jan-23 18:12:32

I was proposed to by a 6 year old at the school were I am working, " I love you, Miss, cus you are so squishy. When I'm grown up, I'm going to marry you. In a church!" Bless. The class teacher was doubled over with laughter. I told her my husband had said something similar when he proposed, and I'd replied that I would have to lose weight before the wedding!

Yammy Wed 11-Jan-23 18:05:03

I accepted the second. The first was too fast and a bit too planned for my sceptical mind a bit of a smooth operator.
The second I accepted because he walked the wall there and back and said I could take my shoes off to balance better when I wobbled he held a hand out.
We had been together on and off for quite a few years.
I thought he was so drunk he would never remember but he turned up the next morning at my friend's where I stayed and said 'Right let's go and get this ring."smile

Greyduster Wed 11-Jan-23 16:44:44

I think the second!
I was proposed to twice - then first time by a man I was totally infatuated with who turned out to be married! The second by DH who turned up outside our guardroom in a horrible rain storm, when we weren’t supposed to be meeting because I was on duty, and said “I got a posting order today - I think we ought to get married before I go! What do you think?” I said yes immediately, though we had only known each other for five months. I loved him so much, standing there like a drowned rat with rain running off his hair and down his face, and we loved each other for the next fifty six years.

Lizzie44 Wed 11-Jan-23 15:49:06

Never had a proposal as such. DH and I were students and after graduating decided by mutual agreement to get married. Very low key - no bended knee, no engagement ring (neither of us had any money). Future mother-in-law was concerned about the lack of a ring (what would friends and family think?) and so she produced an emerald ring from her family jewels which fitted me perfectly at the time. Apart from the first few years of our marriage I have never worn it. Much too small for me now and in any case I never wear rings - apart from my wedding ring (basic "curtain ring") which I have been wearing for nearly 57 years now.

Grandma70s Wed 11-Jan-23 15:42:34

I can’t remember a proposal, but I was definitely married! I think it was just taken for granted. I was never engaged - don’t see the point.

jenwren Wed 11-Jan-23 15:33:08

First one 1970 can,t remember
Second 1992 after a tiff and the control freak suggested we get married to stop the arguments!!!
3rd (2014)one was the Minnack Theatre Cornwall. He went down on one knee after the audience went home. Most beautiful setting but no didn't marry him.
4th but third marriage 2022 Finally living happy ever after.

Nannyknee Wed 11-Jan-23 15:29:04

Which one did you accept Yammy??

Hobbs1 Wed 11-Jan-23 15:01:08

I’ve had 2 proposals. The first at 17, at a friends party, married 2 years later. Sadly my hubby died after 15 years of marriage and two children.
12 years later, my sister introduce me to my now lovely hubby. He got down on one knee outside Notre Dame on my 46th birthday, been together 20 years this May and married 19 years.

Mamma66 Wed 11-Jan-23 14:51:34

Twice, first from a lovely, kind man, but I didn’t love him so turned him down as gently as I could. Second from DH who is the love of my life. He is not normally given to romantic gestures, but his proposal was lovely and wedding vows brought the house down, literally had grown men in tears. He is the perfect man for me…