Gransnet forums

Relationships

Unpleasant sister in law, help please

(36 Posts)
Lollypolly Mon 16-Jan-23 11:40:04

One of my Sil (I have 4) is always really nasty to me when we meet. Fortunately it's not very often. We have a family party coming up which we have to attend and I dread seeing her.
She always makes fun of me and is nasty about my height. I am short, slim and take care of myself. I had a very good job, married 50 years and have two lovely sons. She has never married and gave a child up for adoption when she was 18. I was 19 when my first son was born and I worked my socks off to achieve what I have today. Her family were professional people whereas mine were 'working folk'. I don't understand her and why she just can't stop and would like to deal with her without being horrible back. Help please advice needed. and thanks in advance

Madgran77 Tue 17-Jan-23 07:04:35

You could be right! That's a good one Pigma

Ladyleftfieldlover Tue 17-Jan-23 07:51:33

I wouldn’t retaliate. Just let us say her piece and you can walk away in silence. Life is too short.

AussieGran59 Tue 17-Jan-23 07:54:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Lollypolly Tue 17-Jan-23 08:17:44

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the advice. We have to go because we are close to the person the party is for. There will be a lot of other people there so I can stay away from her. As a wee Glasweigan I don't usually hold back but I think on this occasion I will take your advice and ignore her xxx

LRavenscroft Tue 17-Jan-23 08:40:07

A while ago I recall someone on here suggested what to say when someone was being offensive. It was: 'I am sorry but I don't understand'. I thought that was quite good as they have to explain themselves. Another is: 'Why would you say that?'.

Hithere Tue 17-Jan-23 10:04:41

No, you don't have to go because you are close to the host/hostess, you can always celebrate with the person some other time

Redhead56 Tue 17-Jan-23 10:13:18

Smile and walk away when she approaches you she does not matter and is not important. Let her feel the disappointment that you won’t be taking the verbal she usually comes out with. Walk tall and be smug and treat her like this from now on you can do it.

V3ra Tue 17-Jan-23 11:14:52

Usually I would say avoid someone like this, but if you happen to find yourself face to face with her and she makes a disparaging comment, just say, "Yes you're quite right, as usual, now do excuse me," and turn to talk to someone else or walk away.

Try not to let her "get to you."
As everyone else says, she's simply jealous of you and her opinions are really not worth worrying about.

Caleo Tue 17-Jan-23 11:43:38

Tell her you dislike her jokes. Be uncompromisingly polite to her. She is socially disabled

Hithere Tue 17-Jan-23 17:07:17

Again, where is your husband on this?

Why is he not protecting you and telling her to leave you alone?

I hope he sees how she treats you and does not justify it