Gransnet forums

Relationships

My stubborn elderly mother

(38 Posts)
Ethelwashere1 Wed 25-Jan-23 20:21:30

After my post at Christmas re my mothers behaviour we now have a different situation. Ten days ago she was out with me fell on her 3 wheeler into the road, injuring her head arms ribs knee and foot. She is still hospitalised, I didn’t think she would make it and felt guilty as we fight and she bullies me. However at 91 she’s made a supreme effort and got walking, dressing and toilet by herself. They told me they are hoping to get her home tomorrow. I’ve spoken to her care manager who says she needs occupational assessment at home to see if she can manage. My problem is that this is going to rebound on me. She will become dependant on me for everything, says she doesn’t want carers. She won’t see that carers will let me have a break. Says she can look after her house by herself. I can’t cope with her messy parrot, hoover that’s so heavy I can’t budge it, she won’t get dressed before 11, which is fine but it stops her going to a day centre as they won’t pay because someone else could go for the whole day. My relatives say they feel sorry for me, I can’t get through to her that a cleaner just a couple hours a week to vacuum would make a difference. Now the seasonal cleaning is coming around and she will niggle until I do it half heartedly and she will call me stupid and so it goes on. I can’t cope with my own house I’m on anti depressants. I just want her to see sense. Forgive the rant

grannypiper Wed 25-Jan-23 20:29:40

Do you live with your Mum ? Write her a letter explaining that you can't cope with her bullying ways, or ask a relative to be with you when you tell her you are getting a cleaner and carers in. If she ignores you maybe it is time to strike and move into a hotel close by for a few days, call her in the morning, after lunch and just before her bed time but don't visit. If she still bullies you tell her you're going abroad for a month. Stupid you are not.

M0nica Wed 25-Jan-23 20:30:56

She won't see sense. Accept that and then tell her how much you are prepared to do for her. Do not discuss it with her, do not let her harrass you to do more.

Just tell her that you can no longer manage any of her cleaning and you will not be doing it anymore. If she decides to live in squalor that is her choice.

Stop fulfilling the role of the obedient little girl who always does as mother tells her and be, with her, the mature adult woman you are with everyone else.

Your mother will probably try every way she can to shame, embarrass, blackmail or hound you into doing what she wants. Just say 'no' and walk out. You know what you can cope with and do not go one step further.

Grandmabatty Wed 25-Jan-23 20:37:04

I agree with Monica. If she berates you, step right back and do nothing.

HowVeryDareYou Wed 25-Jan-23 20:38:44

M0nica

She won't see sense. Accept that and then tell her how much you are prepared to do for her. Do not discuss it with her, do not let her harrass you to do more.

Just tell her that you can no longer manage any of her cleaning and you will not be doing it anymore. If she decides to live in squalor that is her choice.

Stop fulfilling the role of the obedient little girl who always does as mother tells her and be, with her, the mature adult woman you are with everyone else.

Your mother will probably try every way she can to shame, embarrass, blackmail or hound you into doing what she wants. Just say 'no' and walk out. You know what you can cope with and do not go one step further.

Very sensible advice

MerylStreep Wed 25-Jan-23 20:49:23

I don’t wish to offend or be personal but you have been pandering to your difficult mother for as long as I’ve known you on GN. That must be about 10 years.
Isn’t it time to just tell her to get on with it.

Hithere Wed 25-Jan-23 21:03:52

Say no
It is a powerful word

No, it doesn't work for me
No, I am not going to change my mind
No, if you don't drop it, I am leaving now

Op
This won't stop till you do something about it

M0nica Wed 25-Jan-23 21:05:11

Oh, dear. You need to realise that the answer to your problems is in your hands and your hands only. If you do not act, you have only yourself to blame.

Jaxjacky Wed 25-Jan-23 21:29:25

What’s the worse that can happen if you say no? You won’t be struck down, you’ll still walk and talk, listen to the advice, please.

Norah Wed 25-Jan-23 21:39:27

Please don't think this as a rude question. Can she afford help? Do it her own way with paid help? On her time frame?

Elderly people can get difficult and not know it. However, if they pay there is no arguing. We intend to stay in our home forever, if possible. Paying with our funds. Paid care/ help will ease any burden to our daughters.

Just a thought.

Callistemon21 Wed 25-Jan-23 22:42:42

This, Ethelwasherel

Just Say No.
Tell her Care Manager too.

M0nica Thu 26-Jan-23 07:25:53

So many people are looking for magic solutions that do not require them to do anything themselves, especially anything that will mean them having to face up to the difficult situations in their life, they would rather suffer and complain.

The choice and action is yours, either to face up to the situation and deal with it, or knuckle down and live with it - and nobody can do it for you.

Jaylou Thu 26-Jan-23 09:38:25

If you can be there when the occupational assessment happens, and when any subject arises that you cannot do, then make sure you state your case. The assessment may be a wake up call for your mother that she does need outside help, and it is not you. Try and get a couple of minutes alone with the assessor and say you cannot physically do what your mother wants you to do.
Your mother may listen to an outside more than she listens to you.
Good luck, but ease down on what you are doing.

Franbern Sat 28-Jan-23 09:39:40

We have had similar problems with peoplein our block of flats. We are NOT any sort of carehome, all flats are indivudally owner occupied. Most of occupants are over retirement age. We are always happy to help each other short term, and obviously in emergencies.

But some people take advantage of this. So, one woman, always insisted on people in other flats when she feel over (which was pretty often), to pick her up. Did not actually ask them, just insisted. Only when it was pointed out to those good samaratans the danger they were putting both her and themselves did it stop. Her relatives wanted her to go into a proper care home, which she needed - and only following us saying we would o provide ANY further assisgtance did she finally agree to this - making it quite clear to us that we were being really horrible. Another one, over one hundred years of age, would dismiss carers and even cleaners set up by her relatives, or even use a help button. Again, stubbornly refused to go to a care home, no matter how nice - and only when those relatives (elderly and unwell themselves) finally told her that if she did NOT keep that help they would have nothing further to do with her, did she finally agree that perhaps a care home might be better.

Not sure why the OP thinks they are unable to say to their Mother - 'This is too much for me'. Compalining inhere wi ll not help very much. A firm 'NO' is required.

Some people often do not realise how much of a burden they actually have become, particularly when no-one tells them that.

NotSpaghetti Sat 28-Jan-23 09:46:28

Tell her Care Manager
I think you must not agree to helping her. I think the unreasonable helping will be making you ill.
Say no.
Maybe say you will only do shopping if you do want to contribute but not personal care or cleaning.
Good luck.

Joane123 Sat 28-Jan-23 09:50:31

There are so many of these threads about elderly mothers and it makes me feel so sad.
I lost my mother almost 20 years ago, and she died in my arms whilst we were reading a book I had bought for my dad's birthday. I think about her and miss her every day and wish she was here.

Callistemon21 Sat 28-Jan-23 09:58:29

Joane123

There are so many of these threads about elderly mothers and it makes me feel so sad.
I lost my mother almost 20 years ago, and she died in my arms whilst we were reading a book I had bought for my dad's birthday. I think about her and miss her every day and wish she was here.

I think we were lucky to have lovely Mums, Joane123, reading some posts on GN.

I do know that Ethelwasherel has had a lot of problems with her critical, demanding mother and it's time she said 'NO, I'm not doing that but we'll find someone who will'.

Soozikinzi Sat 28-Jan-23 10:16:32

Now the care manager is involved you must step back and let them take over say you're going away for a fortnight and will visit when you get back . Even if you're not going away and just keep out of the way while the help gets set up . You have to do this it's no use asking us on here . You're perfectly entitled to a holiday the same as everyone else. Hope it goes well !

Katyj Sat 28-Jan-23 11:21:37

Ethelwashere1 So sorry to hear your mum has fallen, I hope she makes a good recovery. This is the very reason I refuse to take my mum out, and it’s not going down well at all. She has uncontrollable BP up and down all the time.
Even if I was with her, like you , I wouldn’t be able to prevent her falling. You must stand up for yourself though. Four years ago mum fell and broke her hip. The social worker asked to see me, asked what I could do in terms of helping her, I told them shopping, appointments and finances.
I’ve stuck to it. They said she wouldn’t be allowed home without carers, so she had no choice. She’s not happy about it. But realised without them she would need a nursing home ,and she’s adamant she’s not going in one. Be strong and stay strong it’s not easy I know but easier than what you have now. Good luck.

Witzend Sat 28-Jan-23 11:32:49

Franbern, we had this sort of situation with dh’s old aunt - plenty of money but hated spending any, and thought the other residents (themselves nearly all elderly) in her small block of flats should help her ‘for love’.

Never mind that she’d never have done the same, except as a one off! Before she started getting decrepit she once told me, ‘I’ll do it once, but I’m not getting involved.’

We lived a good 2 hours away so obv. couldn’t be popping in all the time. Eventually I had one of the residents on the phone, wailing that they just couldn’t cope any more.

Dh tried to arrange paid carers for her but she sent them away - too loud, too ‘common’, you name it. She just hated paying.

The hassle my poor dh went through in order to - finally - move her to a care home, was unbelievable.

As for paying for that, she refused to write the monthly cheques, since, ‘If they know I’ve got money they’ll find a way to steal it,’ so dh had to pay, and every month get her to pay him back.
I can’t say I was remotely sorry when she finally died!

pascal30 Sat 28-Jan-23 13:26:46

Callistemon21

^Stop fulfilling the role of the obedient little girl who always does as mother tells her and be, with her, the mature adult woman you are with everyone else^.

This, Ethelwasherel

Just Say No.
Tell her Care Manager too.

exactly this..

BlueBelle Sat 28-Jan-23 14:22:14

I agree with Monica and all others, except we are all looking at it with totally practical eyes and Ethel is completely tied up with all sorts of massive emotions guilt, love/hate, need, abandonment, draining , bullying and a huge sense of never being able to please this is nothing new it just keeps getting worse
The games her mind will play with her emotions are probably a lot heavier than the work or the mothers tongue

But you can’t continue Ethel so start by telling your mum you are not well enough to do the annual clean and she needs to get someone in and she also needs a weekly cleaner, and if she would like you ll help her find someone suitable but you yourself are no longer well enough ….don’t wait for her answer or an argument or a bullying speech from her leave her to digest it

Once you have given her information about something you can no longer do it is imperative YOU STICK TO IT
You have to do this Ethel 💐

Wyllow3 Sat 28-Jan-23 14:34:28

Soozikinzi

Now the care manager is involved you must step back and let them take over say you're going away for a fortnight and will visit when you get back . Even if you're not going away and just keep out of the way while the help gets set up . You have to do this it's no use asking us on here . You're perfectly entitled to a holiday the same as everyone else. Hope it goes well !

I agree. Tell your mother and the Care Manager that you are going away.

It sounds too late now but I would have told the Hospital Care Workers that you would be away when you mum arrived home as you are so ill of looking after her you cannot cope.
Yes you will have to use it to the line.

The shortage of care is such that if assessment teams get any sniff of care by family they will not pull all the stops out.

Wyllow3 Sat 28-Jan-23 14:35:12

Correction,"take it to the line".

Ethelwashere1 Sat 28-Jan-23 18:32:02

She came home yesterday after making a supreme effort in hospital. I have caters 4 times a day then I’m on my own. However she is behaving strangely, she’s only picking at her food says it tastes strange. The caters were to come last night to put her to bed so I had a welcome early night. Today she old me no one had been so she sat all night on the sofa. They came to make meals and I have to give her pills, I’m scared I give her an overdose. She just sits crouched coughing her guts up, she has COPD. My friend says she’s given up I can’t just leave her she’s not well enough for home. In one day my energy has been sapped by her moaning, coughing and complaining. I just want her to be happier now she’s home. I try to make her laugh but she says she can’t stand silliness. What do I do