Gransnet forums

Relationships

Stuck in relationship with distant man

(89 Posts)
LaCrepescule Wed 01-Feb-23 11:10:35

Hello ladies, please help! I’m 65 and have been in a relationship for around 16 months. We don’t live together but have recently got engaged. We spend 2 nights a week together but see eachother everyday to walk our dogs. He’s very supportive and does a lot for me and is pressurising me to spend more time with him and start talking about dates to get married. I'd be happy to do this but he's become increasingly cold towards me (showing very little physical affection) and can be taciturn and moody.
When I mention this to him he just shrugs it off and reassures me that he loves me. I’m feeling more and more unhappy and all attempts at communicating my needs to him have failed. He always ends up telling me I’m being emotional (of course I am!) and shuts down the conversation. Last night I was staying at his but ended up going home because I was getting the cold shoulder. I feel I should end this relationship as it’s not making me happy but after 12 years of being single, I’m scared of being alone! My family is rampant with cancer and I feel it's going to be me next and will need someone to support me (I do have a lovely daughter though). I keep telling myself I’ll give him one more chance and then going back on it. This formerly fairly contented independent woman has become so needy and I feel trapped. Should I give him an ultimatum (and vow to stick to it) or just end it?

Urmstongran Thu 02-Feb-23 18:12:35

Just meet as friends for your dog walks.
Perfect.

Yammy Thu 02-Feb-23 18:16:16

I feel you want someone to tell you to leave but it is your decision. I hope you make the right one.

Caleo Thu 02-Feb-23 20:26:17

"Honestly, Caleo that's a dodgy road x (been there, done that)" wrote Wylloe3

Interesting! I never did that but was in the same danger as LaCrepescule and wished I HAD done that. I am intrigued as to what happened to you!

LaCrepescule Thu 02-Feb-23 23:03:15

So much wisdom here and thank you for such a lovely long post choughdancer.

Wyllow3 Thu 02-Feb-23 23:07:53

Because I think he's pretty dodgy and he want to marry her but is emotionally cold after being affectionate at first and is likely to be manipulative and I think no contact is best anything else .....the "Game" will just continue.

Best draw a line. After saying he wants to marry her how will suggesting "just dog walking together" ever be a good idea? Just another chance to get under the O/P's skin.

nadateturbe Thu 02-Feb-23 23:12:38

Wise daughter. You need to work on your dependency issues. You don't need this man.

rafichagran Fri 03-Feb-23 00:36:09

Grandmabatty

That is a huge red flag. Run, skip away. Don't walk, don't stay. Find that strong independent woman and bin him

Agree, he is controlling. Get out now.

Jaylou Fri 03-Feb-23 07:13:05

Sparklefizz

Jaylou One thing, as you have been together so long, you may have included him in your will, if so make sure you amend it and remove his name.

OP has only been with him for 16 months.

My comment may be relevant to the OP, or may help someone else as a reminder to change their will. There is no set timescale on adding people into your will.

BlueBelle Fri 03-Feb-23 07:23:16

Get out and no don’t take Ums advice to meet for dog walks that will NEVER work you must make a completely clean break

You can’t hang on to someone because you might get ill and need looking after that’s the daftest reason I ve ever heard ….where is your self worth ?

You can be happy alone many, many of us on here can be testament to that and once you are on your own build up your self esteem go to some groups or even try some counselling build up your girl friends these along with your family
( daughter) will be the ones to look after you if you get ill in the future not some cold bloke who likes to be in control of a woman

Mizuna Fri 03-Feb-23 07:30:23

Find a group to walk your dog with so you won't be tempted to go back to him for that.

HeavenLeigh Fri 03-Feb-23 07:40:11

All these red flags op. He sounds awful
.what are you waiting for, he’s not going to change,you wish for peace but how are you going to get it with this man! Get out now!

choughdancer Sat 04-Feb-23 09:45:45

LaCrepescule

So much wisdom here and thank you for such a lovely long post choughdancer.

You are very welcome LaCrepescule! I wish you the very best for the future flowers.

LaCrepescule Wed 08-Feb-23 23:45:19

I just wanted to update you lovely GNers. It took me a couple of goes but I’m rid of him; I saw him tonight and wanted to give him a second chance (I know that’s pathetic) but he behaved SO badly. The evening ended up with him throwing my belongings all over the stairs and I’m glad he did it because I know if he’s capable of that, he’s capable of anything 😔 I’ve blocked him so I need to stay strong. Sad because our dogs got on so well but hopefully my boy can make new friends. I felt scared of him and now I know why.

denbylover Thu 09-Feb-23 00:19:58

Well done you, best decision you’ve probably ever made. Riled up next time it might have been you he’d thrown down the stairs!
Stay strong, he’s shown you what he’s capable of. All your tomorrow’s are going to be brighter without him in them. Best wishes.

LaCrepescule Thu 09-Feb-23 00:40:32

Thank you denbylover; it feels hard to let go of a dream of being with someone again in my later years but this man was clearly a danger to me. Only glad he showed me tonight.

denbylover Thu 09-Feb-23 01:14:03

Hi, yes I think he’s done you an enormous favour, although granted, in your quieter moments I suspect you’ll be feeling very real regret this man wasn’t all you hoped he’d be. Never doubt tho, that you’ve done the right thing.

LaCrepescule Thu 09-Feb-23 01:23:44

Thank you for your lovely wise words x

silverlining48 Thu 09-Feb-23 08:15:34

You know you have made the right decision.

Startingover61 Thu 09-Feb-23 11:13:53

Well done! You have a right to live your life free from fear. Don’t look back. Have you heard of the Freedom Programme? You may wish to Google it if not. I did it via Zoom some months ago (no need to have your video on if you don’t wish to show your face). Completely safe space, led by a couple of very well-trained women. No one judges anyone else. For me, it was an eye opener.

VB000 Thu 09-Feb-23 11:41:45

Well done on your lucky escape! Don't look back!

Granmarderby10 Thu 09-Feb-23 13:22:56

So your “must have” list when you are ready, should be grown up woman seeks grown up man who also likes dogs. 🙂

Dee1012 Thu 09-Feb-23 13:36:50

You've made the right decision...and will have thoughts of 'what if', we can all feel like that at times but remember - it's far better to be alone for the right reasons than be with somebody for the wrong ones. flowers

Davida1968 Fri 10-Feb-23 09:53:47

In the words of the song "Shut up & Drive", sung by Chely Wright; "you'll only miss the man, that you wanted him to be...."

LaCrepescule Fri 10-Feb-23 12:06:18

That’s brilliant Davida 😊 I feel I’m not missing him at all (I’m in fact grateful that I’ll no longer have to deal with his moods) but it was the idea that I was in a couple and no longer alone. Funny thing is, now that I’m single again, I don’t really feel alone and can fully appreciate family, friends , work etc.

Poppyred Fri 10-Feb-23 12:16:06

Make sure you choose a new route for your dog-walking. Last thing you need is him trying to worm his way into your good books again.

Stay strong!