Gransnet forums

Relationships

Role Reversal

(53 Posts)
NanaPlenty Mon 06-Mar-23 20:37:42

Has anyone else reached a stage where they feel that they are no longer ‘the parent’ and their children are now in charge ? I am struggling at the moment with finances (like many people) and it’s not a dreadful situation but I’m reviewing what I can and can’t afford. My daughter and her husband are in a high income bracket and want to help but I’m finding it hard to accept this. I’ve always felt it should be me as the parent that looked after them. Would love some other lovely Gransnetters opinions .

Franbern Mon 13-Mar-23 09:08:15

My eldest daughter remembers, with so much pride, back over thirty years ago when she invited and took to lunch in Covent Garden AND paid for us both. She was working, but not getting very much money, at thebottom of the NHS heirachy then. But she said it made her feel like an adult.

As the years past and her career slowly progressed she went through some tough financial times as a single Mum, and I helped out as and where I could. She is high up in that heirachy now and has a lovely home and her daughter is at Uni. She and I both know that if I needed financial assistance I only have to ask her (same for her older brother) , and they would very happy that they can help.

I really do not see anything strange or unnatural about this. They are both earning good money, I am on a pension. They would hate to think that I was having areally abd time financially - when they have savings, etc.

Two of their younger siblings still have school age children and they have mortgages, I would not ask them for any assistance at present.

Have recently sent my usual message to all my AC this time of the year, NOT to spend money on flowers, etc for Mothers Day, etc. A phone call or visit from them sometime during the year is much more wonderful for me.

Franbern Mon 13-Mar-23 09:11:28

I can remember as a young child, my Mum used to put a ten shilling note into the hands of her Mum when we visited.